Advice for non o Multi holders

10 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

There would also be hoards at the Immigration office to avail of their normal 30 and 60 day extensions.

Going to be s##t show everyhwhere once borders open and amnesty dropped...

Thailand closed it's entry to foreigners on 26th March.

By the time this amnesty ends all entries via VE and TV will have already had extensions above the 30 day norm. You believe Immigration will grant a further 30 day extensions on top!

The majority, if not all those who entered via a Non O will also be in the same position.

The exception being those on a Non O ME married to a Thai/children who have not already applied for a 60 day extension to possibly do so. 

Those numbers will be very limited.

Are Non-O based one-year permissions of stay not included under the amnesty?  My impression was that all types of permissions of stay were included.

Incidentally, my hotel tells me that they expect virus restrictions to continue until September.  The main issue seems to be that Thailand cannot afford to give everyone a virus test and most people can't afford to get one.  A fair number of people infected with the virus don't get a fever so temperature testing is no substitute for a virus test.  Also a large number of Thai medical personnel have contracted the virus and there is no way to predict whether a person will be severely affected with the virus even though they have no known pre-existing condition.

28 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

There would also be hoards at the Immigration office to avail of their normal 30 and 60 day extensions.

Going to be s##t show everyhwhere once borders open and amnesty dropped...

I respect Tonoshi and Ubonjoes opinions. In reference to my OP on this thread, I now assume the best course of action NOW is, to not apply for a 60 day extension even though the current permission to stay stamp expires mid April. Wait, until the Amnesty period is over, and then do a border hop OR go to immigration to apply for a 60 day extension. This is taking into account details contained in the OP which I'm sure apply to many.

18 hours ago, gregsmithy said:

I'm in a similar position to those who are concerned, my current 90 days expires mid April and I was planning on using the 60 day extension route. I am confident that there is no need and Tanoshi is right so will just sit it out.

My concern will be what happens when things start to return to the norm (whatever that is with Thai immigration) Will they let us leave and re-enter to activate another 90 days, will they let us apply for 60 days or more likely tell us look you have already had xx number of days so you are now back to getting out of dodge and starting afresh you didn't leave when you should have so that multi entry is now dead. Not one of us will know until its too late.

I know what should happen but my paranoia keeps shouting in my ear go get the 60 days you fool, because you know they will be out for a pound of flesh when this all ends.

As I said I am going to try and sit it out and not risk myself or any Immigration Officers health by visiting them I just hope it does not come back to bite my as*

Even if the Thais will let you back in,  where would you go to for a border hop? Most countries have their borders closed.

Letseng - you are feeding my paranoia.

I am hopeful that when Thai borders are opened so will those of places like Laos and Cambodia but as I said no one will know until it is too late to do much about it,  at the moment my resolve is holding and I am sticking to the advice of the likes of Tanoshi and UbonJoe but my nerve may fail me next week. 

2 hours ago, gregsmithy said:

Letseng - you are feeding my paranoia.

I am hopeful that when Thai borders are opened so will those of places like Laos and Cambodia but as I said no one will know until it is too late to do much about it,  at the moment my resolve is holding and I am sticking to the advice of the likes of Tanoshi and UbonJoe but my nerve may fail me next week. 

Gregsmithy, it looks like our situations are almost identical. My paranoia also wakes me up in the middle of the night telling me to go to cw on Monday to get a 60 day extension given my permission to stay ends Tuesday midnight. I also will sit it out, slightly worried about what will happen when the Amnesty ends.

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Guys, what you suggest is exactly what this amnesty was to prevent.

Those with short term permission to stay not visiting the Immigration offices.

You don't need to apply for 30, or 60 day extensions of any kind as your exempt and have permission to stay until further announcements, be it 1, 2, or 3 months.

The cabinet didn't approve this order to not have foreigners huddled together like sheep, wondering if the guy in front or behind may be a virus carry. It was approved to protect the Immigration officers who had to go face to face with a hundred sheep, any one of whom could be carrying the virus.

You had to bump shoulders with a few, whilst the IO's were forced to bump shoulders with hundreds

Even those of us that have an annual extension are exempt 90 day reports until notified otherwise.

The only visitors to Immigration should be the long stay termers who need to apply for their annual extensions. Everyone else 'stay home'.

People , stop creating stress for yourself and putting people and Staff that have no choice but to go to the immigration department in harms way . It’s a amnesty, thats means a period of time that’s granted without people being punished It been past by the government its law. I’ll also like to think that if you do show up there , you be told to go away . Stop over thinking its simple directive .

23 hours ago, fishtank said:

I would visit Immigration myself rather than believe all this amnesty BS and end up with a problem.

Then you must be one out of very few who don't understand the amnesty even when it's been explained here and in every Thai news website.  

Edited by Max69xl

29 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Gregsmithy, it looks like our situations are almost identical. My paranoia also wakes me up in the middle of the night telling me to go to cw on Monday to get a 60 day extension given my permission to stay ends Tuesday midnight. I also will sit it out, slightly worried about what will happen when the Amnesty ends.

I'm in the same boat as well Johnny, There is to many conflicting reports going around about who gets the automatic visa extension as the term 'VISA' is thrown around very loosely with Thai immigration. As my 90 day expires in couple of weeks I will go next week to my local immigration office in Kalasin and ask in person about the visa amnesty and the 60 day extension or to wait it out til the 30th as I want to here it from the horses mouth just to make sure as I dont want to get a nice overstay surprise after.

Its better safe then sorry as I see it.

2 hours ago, time2093 said:

I'm in the same boat as well Johnny, There is to many conflicting reports going around about who gets the automatic visa extension as the term 'VISA' is thrown around very loosely with Thai immigration. As my 90 day expires in couple of weeks I will go next week to my local immigration office in Kalasin and ask in person about the visa amnesty and the 60 day extension or to wait it out til the 30th as I want to here it from the horses mouth just to make sure as I dont want to get a nice overstay surprise after.

Its better safe then sorry as I see it.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ace000 said:

People , stop creating stress for yourself and putting people and Staff that have no choice but to go to the immigration department in harms way . It’s a amnesty, thats means a period of time that’s granted without people being punished It been past by the government its law. I’ll also like to think that if you do show up there , you be told to go away . Stop over thinking its simple directive .

I think there's no question why the Amnesty is in place. The question which I think cannot be answered unequivocally is can one extend a non o visa for 60 days after the expiration date of an entry stamp, say for example mid April, (within the Amnesty period), or do a border hop giving a 90 day stay after such Amnesty ends and what restrictions if any are there on the above.

Edited by johnny1966

2 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

I think there's no question why the Amnesty is in place. The question which I think cannot be answered unequivocally is can one extend a non o visa for 60 days after the expiration date of an entry stamp, say for example mid April, (within the Amnesty period), or do a border hop giving a 90 day stay after such Amnesty ends and what restrictions if any are there on the above.

These are good questions. I believe border bounces for fresh 90-day permissions to stay or visa runs to neighbouring countries will initially be difficult or impossible. Both Thailand and the neighbouring countries will have entry requirements that make such ideas impracticable.

Whether you are allowed a 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse/child may depend on the immigration office where you apply. There is a tendency for Thai officialdom to see keeping families together as a laudable objective, but no guarantees.

• Like 1