Looking For A High End Logitech WebCam

Greenside

My old (2004, really) webcam is about to be hijacked for the children's online learning sessions and I can't find anywhere in town with what I'm looking for: a C922 Pro Stream.  The big stores, Siam TV and Nyom Panich don't stock anything decent and everywhere else is closed as far as I know.  Yes, Lazada and Shopee list a bunch but either they are going to ship from China or they are at stupid prices.

c922-pro-hd-webcam-refresh.png.91d88c831a514eed2e60fcdaf27d2bd5.png

Any ideas?

A handy trick is that you may be able use your regular digital camera or GoPro action camera or whatever as a high-definition webcam. A lot of people are doing that now because the webcams built into their laptops are not good enough for conference calls.

9 hours ago, donnacha said:

A handy trick is that you may be able use your regular digital camera or GoPro action camera or whatever as a high-definition webcam. A lot of people are doing that now because the webcams built into their laptops are not good enough for conference calls.

How to connect Gopro to the webcam software on laptop for videoconferencing? Does it detect automatically?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How to connect Gopro to the webcam software on laptop for videoconferencing? Does it detect automatically?

I think, in the case of the GoPro, you should be able to connect it directly via USB and the OS should recognize it.

For cameras with an output that is not USB (for example, HDMI), you could use a cheap dongle to convert that to USB.

Here's an article from just a few days ago, a lot of people seem to be thinking about this stuff these days:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/tutorials/how-to-use-your-dslr-gopro-or-mirrorless-camera-as-a-4k-webcam

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

I think, in the case of the GoPro, you should be able to connect it directly via USB and the OS should recognize it.

For cameras with an output that is not USB (for example, HDMI), you could use a cheap dongle to convert that to USB.

Here's an article from just a few days ago, a lot of people seem to be thinking about this stuff these days:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/tutorials/how-to-use-your-dslr-gopro-or-mirrorless-camera-as-a-4k-webcam

It's not as easy as plug and play. Plugging Gopro just recognise it as another device.

How do you tell the video conferencing software to take the camera from Gopro instead of the built-in webcam? 

Edited by EricTh

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's not as easy as plug and play. Plugging Gopro just recognise it as another device.

How do you tell the video conferencing software to take the camera from Gopro instead of the built-in webcam? 

You need a capture card, as explained in this article.

• Like 2

Thanks to Folk Guitar who sold me one of his backups.  Not the exact one I was after but it works well enough.

Capture cards in serious demand - very difficult to get, I was told yesterday.  Incidentally, although Computer Plaza, the computer mall next to what once was Icon Square and now KFC is closed, some of the small shops around the back are still open for things like used laptops, accessories and some gaming hardware.  There are some useful (I think) notices stuck to the side door.

IMG_20200410_171049.jpg

IMG_20200410_171100.jpg

IMG_20200410_171044.jpg

You'll need a tech savvy Thai speaker on hand if you want to deal with any of them ????

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 2