Why aren’t the Hostels Closed Down Due to Covid 19?

Sharon2020

Most hostels will fall under the category of "hotel". Hotel closings have not been universally applied across the country - they appear to be being applied at the provincial level. It seems most of those closing orders involve not allowing new rooms to be booked, and the hotel being closed only after the final room is vacated.

• Like 1

If you start closing hostels where do you put the occupants when they can no longer book a room in other hotels?  It becomes an untenable logistics problem for the government.  My guess, the government wants everyone to hunker down where they are until they give the all clear, and then people can move around and exit the country.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sharon2020 said:

If this is the case why can the police raid at 10.10pm arrest all the back packers for breaking Covid 19 & put them in jail for gathering in groups of more than 5 it’s appalling & a pre planned attack on Westerners 

Where/when?

2 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

If this is the case why can the police raid at 10.10pm arrest all the back packers for breaking Covid 19 & put them in jail for gathering in groups of more than 5 it’s appalling & a pre planned attack on Westerners 

The case is like post #2 and #3 explains. The reason why they get arrested is that they gather together more than absolutely necessary for a hostel type living. They need to stop partying and stay away from each other as much as they can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

The case is like post #2 and #3 explains. The reason why they get arrested is that they gather together more than absolutely necessary for a hostel type living. They need to stop partying and stay away from each other as much as they can.

8 minutes ago, Sharon2020 said:

They were not partying

It is not a question of "partying". It is a question of "social distance". People staying in their rooms is not a problem. 10 people together in a common area is more of a problem. My only issue with the police acting in this case would be if those people were not told that this was not permitted.

4 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

it’s appalling & a pre planned attack on Westerners

Doubt that is is an "attack on Westerners". If you look at the case of a Thai vet being jailed for being out after curfew to care for sick animal, you can see it is typical Thai police activity (i.e., nonsense).

• Like 2

Never stayed in a Thai hostel but have done so in other countries.

There is often 4/6/8/12 people in one sleeping room, a common kitchen, common bathrooms, and common lounge with a TV.

Impossible for all those people to just sit on their bunk beds for the duration.

• Like 1

If they all congregated in the common room then they are all stupid.

This is not a blame game. This is becoming a look after yourself using guidelines set down which are for their own good.

Alternative,,,,, possibly die & take innocent people with them.

Wake up & stop shooting the messenger

• Thanks 2

"Raids" to ensure that common/gathering areas in hostels have been closed-off are fine. If they haven't been blocked off then it's the proprietor's fault and they should be fined.

Forcing the hostels to close and causing tourists who are stuck here to sleep on the streets is immoral. Lockdown not lockout.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

You seem a bit paranoid. 

Close the condos too!!!!  And all apartments/flats too!!!!  And only one family member per house too!!!

After all out of 69,719,591 people 2,473 are infected.  That's like .00354% of the population.

• Like 2

It’s a lesson for everyone in these difficult times., Be responsible. Most foreigners did not leave the country when they should have, take responsibility of your actions. Finding yourself in lockdown in a hostel may not be fun, it’s not supposed to be. Social distancing, confinement, everyone has to do their best. I know of tourists who went from Myanmar to Thailand, straight to Suvarnabhumi, queued night and day in turns to get flights home, didn’t sleep for 48 hrs, but then found flights , which they paid for again, and did not complain. Effort . lots of people want everything handed them-on a plate and then complain when it doesn’t go their way. 

19 hours ago, vf1234 said:

i think this is a legit question, worldwide.

hostels would be a prime breeding ground for the virus, i think.

however, no issue is being made of it by any of the militant enforcers of lockdown, yet.

I totally agree yet I know in Thailand they are going in arresting the back packers and sentencing them to prison for breaking the Covid 19 Lockdown for gathering in groups yet I hold the militant enforcers guilty for not closing them down in the first place.