Removing entry restrictions for foreigners - when?

gearbox

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

According to my daughter who should have been here yesterday trying to get insurance for CV is nigh on impossible after a certain date that was in the UK I dont know about other countries 

Im also thinking when the airlines are able to fly what will be their prices? bad enough the other week 4000 pound one way to the UK 

The Aussie government has a blanket travel ban and issued level 4 warning for overseas travel. In short that means new travel insurance policies are not issued, and even if you have already one, it might not cover you for anything, not only coronavirus. People forget that there could be far more complex things to cover, e.g a heart attack or a bad road accident.

Yesterday rec'd a message from Thai Airways. No flights between Oz and Thailand until at least 30 June, so provides some indication. Of course may well extend the flights ban depending on circumstances.

I am waiting to fly out of Thailand and back to China.  China does not all non citizens to go there.  I expect this total ban to last till the end of April.  In May, international school and university there will reopen.  Chinese government may allow foreign teachers to go back at the end of April, one month after they announced the bank: purely my speculation.

This may be a bit too optimistic, but I think within 2 months in fairly likely for China for foreigners with legit reasons.  For tourists, Sept 1 for China is my guess as by then all schools including kindergartens are supported to be back to normal. 

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Came here to say this.

They can't keep the boarders closed forever but how they reopen is another matter.

No one can speculate with any accuracy. On top of this the government backtracks and changes it's plans often.

I think entrance to kingdom with medical certificate, screening, quarantine here to stay forever. Maybe insurance as well.

Don't be ridiculous. Non invasive temperature screening a slim possibility, the other two, not a chance. Insurance should be mandatory anyway.

15 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

how would that work?

re-entry permit usually expires along with the visa/extension, right?  so if we're outside thailand and both our extension of stay and re-entry permit expire, we'll be given up to 12 months after expiration of both to return?  and hopefully no heartache at immigration to do a renewal within one year of expiration?  no need to start over as long as we can provide the standard documents?

Okay, so my Thai employee reread the section I was referring to. He confirmed that re-entry permits are to be extended. I believe the intent is this: with the announcement, temporary visas are being extended automatically. Since re-entry permits are tied to the length of the visa, they are essentially saying that those re-entry permits extend "along with" the visa. In other words, if you left the country, and your visa expired in April, then your re-entry permit would have also expired in April. However, your visa is being extended to (for example) May. Likewise, the re-entry permit extends to May with the visa.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Virus flareup continues in China and every country in the world 2020-2022.

Many countries in Africa reduced to total anarchy. 

there is no tourist industry. 

lack of demand for oil collapses Russian and middle east economies.   

massive recession in the west borderline economic depression followed by war in 2022-2027 after collapse of US petrodollars.

Vaccine fourth quarter of 2021. Vaccinated or antibodies present "passports" required for all travel worldwide.

anyone in the west not owning physical gold and silver, bitcoin and real estate in your home country without a mortgage is going to be financially ruined. 

but lets see how things go during the Songkran lockdown. If we get through that we should be OK. :clap2:

Can't spend bitcoin in Tesco. 

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Don't be ridiculous. Non invasive temperature screening a slim possibility, the other two, not a chance. Insurance should be mandatory anyway.

Not so ridiculous, they're are many countries around the world already where medical checks are needed to show disease free status before a visa can be issued. I would expect many countries to then include C19 checks as well. 

• Haha 1

It is possible that it will be extended towards May 30 because the situation in the rest of the world is worsening.

The Chinese call the shots because they are the biggest spenders as to when Thailand will open its borders again,. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I suspect as time goes on, a reliable and cheap covid-19 certificate will be increasingly easy to obtain, and the two week quarantine rules will be relaxed. 

These are good things to come eventually, but I don't really see this happening in the next 2-3 months. Any form of quarantine is a show stopper for the short term tourists, and these are important for the Thai economy. I would say different rules would be applied for the important Chinese market, now that China is getting on top of the problem.

Unfortunately I'm stick in India and the number of cases is going higher here, which would further reduce my chances going back to Thailand if the things get out of control.

• Like 1

Same situation for me; I'm outside Thailand at work and due back sometime in late May. My retirement extension of stay runs out in June, so not much hope!

I'm not a tourist--so to speak, I have a house and Thai family there and have been there for 27 years. I hear all the people wanting to leave Thailand to go home--and I understand that, but I'm the opposite, I want back in. Guess it will be quite some time........

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

how would that work?

re-entry permit usually expires along with the visa/extension, right?  so if we're outside thailand and both our extension of stay and re-entry permit expire, we'll be given up to 12 months after expiration of both to return?  and hopefully no heartache at immigration to do a renewal within one year of expiration?  no need to start over as long as we can provide the standard documents?

Hoping against hope that this info. is genuine. I'm at present in the UK and my extension based on retirement runs out on 23rd of this month and I was dreading going through the whole process again. It would be a real weight off my mind if this was true. 

4 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Hoping against hope that this info. is genuine. I'm at present in the UK and my extension based on retirement runs out on 23rd of this month and I was dreading going through the whole process again. It would be a real weight off my mind if this was true. 

keep going in the thread.  that was a misunderstanding.  the re-entry for one year past expiration applies only to those with residency certificates.

unless the 0.0% return of the free-spending tourist doesn't ignite some love for the cheap charlie retiree, we'll be starting all over again.

it should be easy, since we know the process, and have our banks squared away.  30-day waiver and apply for o-visa, easy-peasy.  but anything can happen in the hub of unpredictability......

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

keep going in the thread.  that was a misunderstanding.  the re-entry for one year past expiration applies only to those with residency certificates.

unless the 0.0% return of the free-spending tourist doesn't ignite some love for the cheap charlie retiree, we'll be starting all over again.

it should be easy, since we know the process, and have our banks squared away.  30-day waiver and apply for o-visa, easy-peasy.  but anything can happen in the hub of unpredictability......

That's another issue I'm facing. Even if somehow I manage to get in, my reentry permit based on my original O-A visa will expire September. I was thinking of switching from O-A to O with money in Thai bank to avoid purchasing Thai insurance. From the limited reading I've done so far this would require leaving Thailand again to get a tourist visa. The normal visa places in Laos and Penang are currently off limit, and leaving Thailand even for a couple of days may require again certificates, insurance, quarantine, etc...the whole process again, provided that the foreigners are allowed in at all.  May need to bite the bullet and get an O-A extension with useless insurance.

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

That's another issue I'm facing. Even if somehow I manage to get in, my reentry permit based on my original O-A visa will expire September. I was thinking of switching from O-A to O with money in Thai bank to avoid purchasing Thai insurance. From the limited reading I've done so far this would require leaving Thailand again to get a tourist visa. The normal visa places in Laos and Penang are currently off limit, and leaving Thailand even for a couple of days may require again certificates, insurance, quarantine, etc...the whole process again, provided that the foreigners are allowed in at all.  May need to bite the bullet and get an O-A extension with useless insurance.

how will thailand survive through the summer without tourism?  surely they'll have to open up somewhat, and by that time cheap and fast testing should be available.

in that case, the visa run guys should be able to get you to a viable land border crossing.  get a 30-day visa waiver and apply for an o-visa at immigration.  you already have the bank account and funds which is the hardest part for most.

• Like 1

nope. I don't teach in China. I have a high tech job that I like to go back to.  I figured that if they let teachers back, they will let me back as I am higher on the priority list in china's employment visa category.

My point of my discussion is mainly to help guess when foreigners will be free to move around in Asia:)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnBZ said:

nope. I don't teach in China. I have a high tech job that I like to go back to.  I figured that if they let teachers back, they will let me back as I am higher on the priority list in china's employment visa category.

My point of my discussion is mainly to help guess when foreigners will be free to move around in Asia:)

I think the first country to open may be the Philippines, the semi dictator there indicated that he'll won't keep the lockdown for too long. Not that they sorted out the issues..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, at15 said:

right. 

look at Philippines , Duterte has already said april 30 is it, cant go past that. everything gotta go back to normal for their economy to survive.

if shutdowns start going into May there will be riots around the world. 

He will simply send in his henchmen door to door and shoot any of the effected and their family's.. Problem solved