Removing entry restrictions for foreigners - when?

gearbox

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I expect the borders to open up again, maybe with some restrictions, by the end of April or early May.  Schools are due to open on 1 July and International Schools have been told they can open earlier, with some restrictions.  The State of Emergency decree will end at the end of April, so things should start relaxing after that.  Hopefully.

While that may, or may not, happen to the borders in Thailand, just as relevant is what happens to the borders elsewhere. The likes of the UK, Australia and New Zealand have all said that border restrictions are likely to last to next year in one form or another, and they likely won't return to how they were until there is a vaccine available (and by definition everyone passing can show they have been vaccinated).

So anyone planning to travel between Thailand and those countries, and I suspect most developed nations, might be out of luck this year.

• Like 1

We’re all just guessing, but I would hope the lockdown phases out over the month of May, and travel restrictions start loosening around July.  A lot of stuff has to happen to make that work though, but at some point ripping the band-aid off is going to be too attractive.

• Like 1

We are are also stuck in the US and would love to come to our Thai home which sits empty since last June. 

I am watching the news and I see that an antibody test will be available this week and soon will become widely available. It only tells you if you have already being exposed to the virus, have the antibodies and probably has immunity.

Any other test only tells you if you have the virus at the time of the test and is Useless for the purpose of travel ,

because you can have the test, it can come back negative and on your way home from the testing site , you can get the virus.  

7 hours ago, moontang said:

Already have it, and my agent already confirmed I am covered for COVID-19.

Cool, so you have more than the "just a reentry permit on my O-A extension". that you quoted... 

Only thing you need to wait for is the ban on arrivals to be lifted & get a certificate saying you don't have Covid-19 (or wait for this requirement to be lifted). 

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Cool, so you have more than the "just a reentry permit on my O-A extension". that you quoted... 

Only thing you need to wait for is the ban on arrivals to be lifted & get a certificate saying you don't have Covid-19 (or wait for this requirement to be lifted). 

Been here since October, but don't want to leave if I can't return.  A place in DC does any kind of letters, shots, etc. for international travel www.washingtontravelclinic.com. but that would still be 50-60 USD and it would suck if I had to do it immediately before the long trip.  Willing to do my part, but what they say at the embassy can be different than what immigration says.  Let's see them get all their own citizens back home for starters.

• Like 1

I hope they don't follow the Australian way...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/borders-to-stay-closed-travellers-urged-to-see-australia-first-once-curbs-ease-20200410-p54iw4.html

Asked whether the international bans would stay for this calendar year or beyond, Senator Birmingham said: "It's very difficult to predict and nobody should be getting ahead of themselves at the present."

It seems that a lot of countries are talking about easing lockdown.  Trump is thinking about May.  Thailand coronavirus new cases are down significantly after the lockdown since late March.  China is reopening Wuhan and opening schools on April.  With all these easing within the borders, easing of international travel will sure to follow. Keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

with the rate of current new infection coming down, by April 30, Thailand will be at single digit level similar to Korea and Taiwan. With a bigger population than them, Thailand should move towards Korea and Thailand policy which allows for foreigner to enter but need 14 days quarantine.

I think this is what will happen in Thailand after April 30.

• Like 1

Not only has Thailand to let you in.

Your home country has to let you out, too.

It is common all over Europe now to hold inmates of caring homes nd hospitals incomunicado.

Austria is thinking of forcing people to spend their holidays in Austria. 

In Istanbul, people over 60 are under house arrest since March 12.

Taiwan forbids travel abroad for medical personnel and senior high school students. 

Check for similar policies in those countries that are eradicating the virus,  like Iceland, New Zealand, maybe Australia...

Restrictions will most likely be eased selectively. Low risk countries will be allowed in first while Europe and America will continue to be banned until the risk is reduced to an acceptable level. 

China and South Korea will probably open 1 June, possibly a bit earlier than that but I doubt it. Chinese tourists are ready to go and some do also in June. The European tourist season starts in July, there's risk but little benefit to open up before that. My guess is that they open 1 july but who knows, it could be August or even later too, it all depends on the situation in Europe. 

Thai Airways accept bookings to London from 1 july but have cancelled all flights to Sweden until October. 

I don't know, no one knows ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who need a fews months outside thailand each year this return paperwork could be messy

Fit to fly and test is fair enough but this insurance scam is problematical especially if you self insure

I am sure loopholes will appear to get this here i have till sept to find out i will ask my agent if there's anyway around it to find out she will known

if not i will winter in a  pub in dudley or mid wales and miss my dogs terribly

On 4/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, mstevens said:

While that may, or may not, happen to the borders in Thailand, just as relevant is what happens to the borders elsewhere. The likes of the UK, Australia and New Zealand have all said that border restrictions are likely to last to next year in one form or another, and they likely won't return to how they were until there is a vaccine available (and by definition everyone passing can show they have been vaccinated).

So anyone planning to travel between Thailand and those countries, and I suspect most developed nations, might be out of luck this year.

I think there might be a misconception here. I don't know about Australia or New Zealand but the UK has no specific ban on leaving the country. While the current requirement is to stay home except in certain circumstances and avoid all unnecessary travel I am pretty sure that if you have a confirmed flight and the necessary visa for your destination you will be allowed on your way. Heathrow is currently operating and some 10,000 are being admitted daily, and it must be said, without health checks.

The relevant emergency bill reads: “[The bill will] enable the Home Secretary to request that port and airport operators temporarily close and suspend operations if Border Force staff shortages result in a real and significant threat to the UK’s border security.

“This is to ensure the UK can maintain adequate border security throughout the pandemic and protect the public from the threat of criminality or importation of prohibited items that could result from an inadequately controlled border.

“This would only be used in extremis, where necessary and proportionate, and any direction will be kept to the minimum period necessary to maintain the security of the UK border.” I can't find any reference to these powers having been implemented so far.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, DoctorB said:

I think there might be a misconception here. I don't know about Australia or New Zealand but the UK has no specific ban on leaving the country. While the current requirement is to stay home except in certain circumstances and avoid all unnecessary travel I am pretty sure that if you have a confirmed flight and the necessary visa for your destination you will be allowed on your way. Heathrow is currently operating and some 10,000 are being admitted daily, and it must be said, without health checks.

The relevant emergency bill reads: “[The bill will] enable the Home Secretary to request that port and airport operators temporarily close and suspend operations if Border Force staff shortages result in a real and significant threat to the UK’s border security.

“This is to ensure the UK can maintain adequate border security throughout the pandemic and protect the public from the threat of criminality or importation of prohibited items that could result from an inadequately controlled border.

“This would only be used in extremis, where necessary and proportionate, and any direction will be kept to the minimum period necessary to maintain the security of the UK border.” I can't find any reference to these powers having been implemented so far.

I landed yesterday in London with Australian passport. No health checks at the airport, no mandatory quarantine.

However flying around in Europe or anywhere else is a difficult proposition. Many countries have much more severe entry requirements, and the flights are very scarce. I saw a flight London - Amsterdam $600 AUD,  very expensive.

As much as I would like to go back to Thailand, I don't think it would hapoen in the next 2-3 months.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, kiever said:

i am waiting to come back to thailand . from y country ( turkey) flights will be available from 01 may.  do you think when thailand will open borders for foreigners ? 

I'll be very surprised if the Turks open the international travel from 1st of May, they have a lot of new coronavirus cases every day.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:53 PM, MikeyIdea said:

Restrictions will most likely be eased selectively. Low risk countries will be allowed in first while Europe and America will continue to be banned until the risk is reduced to an acceptable level. 

China and South Korea will probably open 1 June, possibly a bit earlier than that but I doubt it. Chinese tourists are ready to go and some do also in June. The European tourist season starts in July, there's risk but little benefit to open up before that. My guess is that they open 1 july but who knows, it could be August or even later too, it all depends on the situation in Europe. 

Thai Airways accept bookings to London from 1 july but have cancelled all flights to Sweden until October. 

I don't know, no one knows ????

It will not be based on risks. It will be based on racism.

Certain Thai government elements are deeply against European and North American 

Farangs and will manipulate the crisis to serve their agenda. Thailand will once again 

be half-overrun with Chinese tourists before Americans or Britishers will be let in.

You can bet on that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone's guess,here's mine.

They'll make any excuse to open for foreigners when their "high season" starts in October. Thailand will be declared as "safe" from covid to attract tourists. I seriously doubt they'll demand insurances and doctors certificates as that would ruin their business. Perhaps do a fast pcr test on arrival?

But the first step will probably be to let those with reirement visas, families and wp to enter with 14 days of compulsary quarantene. Lots of empty hotels would love that idea, foreigners who are desperate to get back will have to pay extra for this"service". But in any case, i can't even see that happening before July. 

June 1 is earlier day Thailand opening up for Chinese tourists.  You can book a flight with Air Asia from Guangzhou to Bangkok for 438 RMB. You can also book a flight from Bangkok and Guangzhou for 639 RMB now.

For the opening to be meaning, other countries would somehow open up for foreigners at the same time.  Otherwise, airliners would not want to fly for economical reason as one part of round trip will be empty.

Let us hope these flights from and to China won't be cancelled.  China and Thailand would need to cancel the 14 day quarantine requirements.  Otherwise, no too many people would want to fly.

• Thanks 1