Pattaya's Coronavirus Cock-up: Chaos on first day of lockdown as leaders scurry for rethink

webfact

17 minutes ago, z42 said:

An absolute shambles and a disgrace. By some accounts of people on the ground there, the numbers of homeless and rough sleepers is exploding as landlords are being absolutely mercenary, and the governments inability to get any protections for the vulnerable in place are really hitting hard.

Whether or not the dangers of the virus are overstated, the responses by the government have made an already terrible situation worse.

I don't see how major consequences are going to be avoided. The discontent is swelling already.

Whilst I dont disagree, I think you are the the wrong thread ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Yeah the funny thing about Pattaya is that absolutely no one will have ID for living on the beach side of sukhumvhit. Genius.

They could just let everyone in without checking ID. What does it matter? Ridiculous.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An off topic conspiricy troll post has been removed:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Lol
"77kaoded said it was not just the traffic - each of the five checkpoints were struggling to interpret what ID was necessary to move in and out of the city."

What is so hard about that ? I've seen the (regular) police and the Immigration Police when they do a shift change. The incoming shift stands in formation and gets a briefing from the (commander/shift supervisor/whoever) and then they go do their jobs.

We knew a couple days in advance that we (foreigners) were supposed to have our passports and a "residence certificate" and a special form (with an English version already available) detailing who we are, where we are going and why.
All that should have been passed on to every oncoming shift for days before the barricades went up.

There shouldn't have been any confusion at all about the documents. I was hoping to find out what they were doing with that new form (looking at it, stamping it or keeping it when you went through a checkpoint) but the only person who reported going through a checkpoint said they never even checked him for documents at all !

Possibly they just didn't think there'd be as much traffic as there was and couldn't handle it without making the problem worse (by having to check and verify the documents of every single person trying to pass through).
And then there's the issue of what to do with the people that "forgot" one piece of paper or something and now they have to try and redirect that person back the way they came.

I think I'll put my mask on and go talk to my neighbour though I don't think his English is good enough to explain it to me.

• Like 1