Once the biggest outbreak outside of China, South Korean city reports zero new coronavirus cases

webfact

Once the biggest outbreak outside of China, South Korean city reports zero new coronavirus cases

2020-04-10T015334Z_1_LYNXNPEG3902H_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SOUTHKOREA-DAEGU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man wearing a mask following the rise in confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), takes a walk at a park in Daegu, South Korea, March 14, 2020. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

SEOUL (Reuters) - The South Korean city of Daegu, which endured the first large coronavirus outbreak outside of China, on Friday reported zero new cases for the first time since late February, as new infections across the country dropped to record lows.

With at least 6,807 confirmed cases, Daegu accounts for more than half of all South Korea's 10,450 infections.

South Korea on Friday reported 27 new cases as of the night before, a new low since daily cases peaked at more than 900 in late February, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The death toll also rose by four to 208, the KCDC said.

The spread of infections at a church in Daegu drove a massive spike in cases in South Korea beginning in late February.

The outbreak initially pushed the tally of confirmed cases much higher than anywhere else outside of China, before the country used widespread testing and social distancing measures to bring the numbers down.

(Reporting by Josh Smith; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-10

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Well done South Korea.

Shows even more what a big cock-up European countries made of it...

Most yes, not all. Europe is more than UK, Italy, Germany and France ++. The smaller countries fared much better because they shut down earlier and their people are more self discplined. These countries have younger and more proactive govts. Bad news sells, positive news doesn't in these times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Maybe we should just ban religions,,,,, all of them

The science versus religion debate in real time.  150 members of the Saudi royal family have covid.  There are thousands of these royals that travel frequently.  Even talk of cancelling the Hajj.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Maybe we should just ban religions,,,,, all of them

I think banning is a little harsh. I had a loved one who was taken from us FAR too young, and the only thing that made the long battle with her illness and acceptance of her fate bearable was her strong faith. Religion is very important and very comforting for many people in the world. I'm not religious but know first-hand and respect how important it is for a lot of people, 

There are many situations where people gather besides at churches, synagogues, mosques, etc., so we'd have to ban all sports events, concerts, and so on. I'm sure we all hope that covid-19 will be tamed soon and effective medicine created that allows us to gather safely again where and when we want, whether that's to praise Buddha, cheer a goal, or rock on. 

I'd say, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Agreed. Let's start with liberalism.

You do make a point of living up to your forum name, don't you? Is it really just a need for attention? ????

Liberalism - Political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality 

It's not a religion but a good approach to how we should treat each other, That would only appeal to people who are functioning in a normal way, so I can see why you'd want nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1