Bangkok: Mad rush to buy booze as shelves stripped ahead of ten day ban

webfact

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

Quite true. I think the Thai government can outsource it to a group of wise farang pensioners living in Pattaya, Isaan etc. and posting on this forum.

This is the best idea I've read all day!... 

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Very mature comment. Good job! ???? 

However, also very wrong. You lost your bet. Not more than your ego, though. ???? 

No, I am not in the kitchen at parties, even if I am a well educated chef with long experience in the entertainment business. However, I know when it´s time to party and when it´s adviced not to party. Probably something that you still have to learn.

Of course you’re not in the kitchen at parties....you never get invited in the first place!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:
Sanook reported that there was a mad rush to buy alcohol in the capital's malls and shops last night. 

Staff couldn't replace stock quickly enough as customers in masks stripped the shelves of spirits and beer. 

That's why there are no loo rolls left! Did someone ban us from having a dump?

38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

you fail to realize many are physiologically dependant on alcohol. thai society has a high percent like this. also emotionally dependant. using the term "clear mind" regarding those physically dependant on alcohol is just funny.  to them alcohol is the center of the universe and the reason for life itself.

4 me personally, if i bring some nice spicy thai food home to eat i would like to have the option to buy a cold beer to drink with it at 7 / 11.

i also find beer assists in tolerating these forums

Wow! How many different versions you got in one post. Does that have something to do with MeeToo, and that we have to show understanding and compassion. 

I will tell you the facts for free. All of physiologically dependant, emotionally dependant. use for clear mind and physically dependant is falling under the same umbrella.

It´s called alcoholism, just out of the simple reason that you use the word dependant. Same with for the need to "clear mind", which is just another excuse for a drink at whatever time.

Anyway, nice to hear that you found a way to blame Thai Visa Forum for your drinking behaviour. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Stand up comedian?

Oh, and you have totally missed that the food industry mostly is a part of the entertainment business when it comes to chefs and restaurants, bars and discoteques.

However, when I say entertainment business I mean as a person been running two bars, one discoteque and three restaurants.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Jees, this sort of nanny-like moralising is enough to drive anyone to drink.

I actually agree with a ban on sales over the (banned) Songkran period because there are a large number of working class Thai men / Thai teens who'll get together and booze.

But it should be a national ban, and it should have been announced a week in advance to stave off exactly what happened yesterday: a last-minute rush to stock up. It's ridiculous to ban in Bangkok but not in Pathum Thani, Samut Prakarn and Nonthaburi, particular given that metropolitan Bangkok seamlessly incorporates large areas of those provinces. Or ban in Lamphun but not in neighbouring Lampang or Chiang Mai.

Jees, if you go for alcohol just for reading my post, then my advice is to see a doctor. However, sure. The ban should be nationwide. I believe the reason why they tell so late, is to check the statistics of how many percent still stockpile. It gives them a measure of how wide spread the alcoholism is in the country. Can´t see any other explanation, if they not like to watch the CCTV videos later as a comedy.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, I do not make it out to look like that. All people that madly run and panic buy the booze already done that job for me. Same as all on this forum that complains so much over an absolutely non essential thing in life like alcohol. That bunch of people make it look like the scenario you just described.

Yas, I drink. Sometimes a lot and sometimes small as well as sometimes nothing. Depends of the mood of the day, but ain´t gonna complain just because it´s not going to be available for a while. I am a big boy, I can handle going without for a month or two without complaining like children that lost their favorite nighty bottle.

Reads like you are talking to your mum.......?   ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Thus spoke the venerable Lord Buddha, the enlightened one. 

Why do you feel the need to put my words in the mouth of the father of a belief of many people in the world? Shameful thing to do.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Of course you’re not in the kitchen at parties....you never get invited in the first place!

Seems like you have so much to say, but in fact don´t have a clue what you are talking about. Nevermind, As you were soldier.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Whatever the commodity,if you announce you are creating an artificial shortage it will predictably create a panic buy situation. Your feelings of 'unfathomable' should be directed at officials who once again do not have the foresight or IQ to understand this. Incompetence.

So, if I understand you right you are saying: Due to the incompetence of officials without foresight, the population automatically feel the need to stockpile a totally unnecessary product. Thanks! Makes much more sense to me now.

If not, please explain what you mean.

1 minute ago, thecyclist said:

Not so : I hope you are familiar with the quintessential saying of Zen Buddhism :"If you see the Buddha in the streets, kill him. True Buddhist don't take themselves too seriously, shouldn't and can't take themselves seriously, due to anatta, the realization that there is no self. 

Ok, you went that deep. ???? Nice with a good explanation for a change.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And announcing it in advance resulted in everyone rushing out and getting in two weeks supply, and milling together.

The only good thing may be that no drunks may drive around to get more booze. May, not WILL ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, British Bulldog said:

Its funny though eh ... when people are told they "Can't" buy alcohol ... they go out and buy twice as much than they usually would ..... :drunk:

True.  Ask anyone who has lived in a dry country how many 'normal' drinkers they saw transformed in to raging alcoholics

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Would only be unfathomable if you are not a drinker. Alcohol is a drug, as are cigarettes, and if you have the habit you don’t want to be without. I don’t drink but I did for years and In that state of addition you only think about being without your drug of choice. It is conceivable that you’d have the same behavior if the government suddenly banned soft drinks or sugar. 

What is unfathomable to me is the hoarding of toilet paper in the USA. What connection people make between hoarding toilet paper and being safe during a pandemic is beyond me. I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation for this extreme form of mass hysteria that has gripped the American psyche.

Both toilet paper and alcohol falls in the box of same level of stupidity. It´s not a matter of if you want, or fell you need or if not drink. if it´s not available for a couple of month, then just take it like a man and live with it. Nobody need alcohol. The whole conversation is just silly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

While I enjoy a beer or 2 when out, booze/beer is like almost 0 priority in my life. And with no socialization, it's -0. It makes me sad to see so many people going crazy over this. I say this as a recovered alcoholic who pounded down straight Jack Daniel's every day some 20 years ago. . 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And announcing it in advance resulted in everyone rushing out and getting in two weeks supply, and milling together.

Totally necessary, should have left it as it was and said any drinking parties will be dealt with harshly.

Talk about creating a problem where one doesn't exist!

• Like 2

I missed out on this important news,i just checked,we only have one bottle of Leo

and it is not even in the fridge!

Panic!!!

Then again,it was left here by visitors nearly two years ago,probably over date by now.

I guess i will have to do without,

but i can .

• Haha 1