Bangkok: Mad rush to buy booze as shelves stripped ahead of ten day ban

webfact

I love chocolate, sort of addicted. If I have a reason to buy many, because of a lockdown, I will buy many. And I will eat them all, already on the first day of lockdown, because I have them in my home. Guess what happens because of this ban... masses of drunk people because they bought alcohol good for ten days but they can't go sleep in the first night  before finished it all...

Edited by P100

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, and you have totally missed that the food industry mostly is a part of the entertainment business when it comes to chefs and restaurants, bars and discoteques.

However, when I say entertainment business I mean as a person been running two bars, one discoteque and three restaurants.

No,I didn't miss that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, if I understand you right you are saying: Due to the incompetence of officials without foresight, the population automatically feel the need to stockpile a totally unnecessary product. Thanks! Makes much more sense to me now.

If not, please explain what you mean.

It’s very easy to understand (for most anyway) . If there’s a large market for something (whether you wish there wasn’t or not is irrelevant) and by unnecessarily announcing you will introduce an artificial shortage with highly predictable adverse results ,yet you continue to do that anyway and yet are surprised when that does happen ,doesn’t that make the creator of the chaos the thick one? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I'm changing my mind about you. These posts are comedy classics. Keep 'em coming!

"I believe the reason why they tell so late, is to check the statistics of how many percent still stockpile."

That explains the guy with the clipboard in Villa yesterday. I thought he was stock-taking, but actually he was from a shadowy government agency compiling statistics on who was buying booze.  

Almost right. You´re starting to get a hang of it. Actually he was an unregistered freelancer that is sending the reports against payment to a company that collects and draw the statistics for the government. The reason for that is for him to be able to also collect the 5 000 baht handouts for 3 month.

21 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s very easy to understand (for most anyway) . If there’s a large market for something (whether you wish there wasn’t or not is irrelevant) and by unnecessarily announcing you will introduce an artificial shortage with highly predictable adverse results ,yet you continue to do that anyway and yet are surprised when that does happen ,doesn’t that make the creator of the chaos the thick one? 

I rest my case. It stands already in the headline for the news. "Mad Rush". I guess that says it all. Have a nice day.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

One hillbilly redneck here, at your service! Got me an attic full of old fruit jars as well!

I got a fractionating still if anyone wants to try. I use it to distill hexane, but it should readily do ethanol.

If the authorities continue their current level of idiocy it just might be worth trying.  I haven't tried Kool-Aid and Everclear since my university days...

• Haha 1

Went to Big C in Sisaket this afternoon. The provincial leaders here decided to outdo Bangkok. No booze sales from tomorrow thru the end of the month. Add to that the fact that it must have been a last minute decision; because, the liquor shelves were full at Big C.  There are going to be some really disappointed people arriving from Bangkok this weekend.

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Totally predictable.

Net result , more drunken people and spontaneous parties than if there had been no ban.

This government should ban itself then and only then can things slowly get better.

i am not a fan of the beer ban but  to say this governement should ban itself? not sure if you follow the international news but compared to many countries/continents, Thailand is doing not too bad. America and Europe are devasted and might never recover. Thailand takes a hit but far far away from the KO that other countries get.

So in short, this governement seems to be something right, and its supported by the majority of Thais.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, debbiedebbie said:

Is a small group of 2 people under the prohibition of social gathering when they party at home (drinks+not loud music) during the curfew? Kinda bit confused here. Appreciate clarification.

Of course not, if you have a supply of alcohol, you can party with your partner or roommate as much as you please, just don't invite neighbors and friends. And when you run out of 'supplies' will you be able to restock your beverages. Probably yes :Like during elections when it's strictly prohibited to sell alcohol, there are always some shops on some Soi in every town that do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And announcing it in advance resulted in everyone rushing out and getting in two weeks supply, and milling together.

Yes! The Thai authorities seem to have a penchant for giving everyone a day or so heads-up, what do they think is going to happen if they do this? Exactly what has happened here, a mad rush to buy as much as possible by as many as can. So social distancing straight out the window at these outlets....and the private parties start right now until everyone has run out, again making a mockery of social distancing. And the curfew? Just get to the party before 10pm and cozy up together all night. Remember though to keep the noise down, the hookers and the drugs out. Or a neighbour could dob you in and plod on your case.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fatman666 said:

the question is how many people are a small group. A couple of years before i worked in the tourist branch and a trip under 25 people for us were always a small group. So if i drinking beer at home with my family (it could be up to 6 pax at our house) is not allowed. But eating together is allowed.  Come on. Kindergarden.

Previously, a group of 4 (or 5) was defined as social gathering. And, my question (if you backread) is with drinks and not-so-loud music (at a balcony). The news looks so general and I was looking for some feedback with specifics based on the set rules. I really appreciate any "clean" advice.

• Like 1

Next the government will ban drug sales, then snack food sales, finally food sales, as people are

still in groups to buy these items.  The intelligence of your government at work.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error

Im sure that my local shop will sell me beer in a week from now tops. Might even get it tomorrow without issues.
Actually so many who plan to have moo ka ta or shabu at home with beers now due to this ban and virus, they only made it worse lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

They are talking about social gatherings outside the privacy of your home. Don't think they are interested in (unless it's snorting cocaine or something like that) what you do in your place with people you live with all the time anyway. 

And, that's the thing. 2 or 3 of my friends (who don't live with me) would like to come over. We usually drink at the balcony overlooking the road coz it would be messy if inside. I'm thinking to only have 3 (2+me) coz I read somewhere social gathering rule is 4. That's why this uncertainty.

A post containing content copy and pasted from Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Some troll posts removed as well. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, metisdead said:

A post containing content copy and pasted from Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Some troll posts removed as well. 

Thanks for the info and sorry too.