Have yourself a "Virtual Songkran": Police tell Thailand: "Don't even think about setting up a water tank outside your home!"

webfact

I am going to celebrate Songkran under my shower, bottle of beer in one hand, bottle of scotch in the other; and of course a sound blaster at max volume set up at a safe distance from the shower cell.

Just like every year, really. 

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A police spokesman has warned the Thai public that even setting up a water tank and buckets outside their homes to play Songkran is illegal this year.

How the officials are going to enforce this, remains to be seen...

plastic pools.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure the drunk farang backpackers will party, and then soon all farangs forced to leave.  

every day, we must hope our fellow farangs don't ruin it for all of us.  it will only take one....

are you reading articles HOPING it doesn't involve a dirty farang?  IF America and China go to war, countries will have to pick.   This will be 2021.......

Songkraam is war.   pretty similar.  lol

for many, this will be our last year here.  

this i'm sure of.  

good luck.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, elwood said:

You mean the Thais are not being sensible, unlike the law-abiding people in the civilised western countries?

Go on ruin yet another "Knock the Thai's" thread with a few home truths!

Seems every thread now turns into the same old theme! ???? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, uli65 said:

this will be the best Songkran in our lifetime

Speak for yourself, what an incredibly sad post! I for one will miss seeing the happiness in the village kids faces enjoying celebrating the Songkran Festival, people dressing up to show off their new Songkran attire, enjoying the holidays! ????

There is little enough joy in there lives as it is!

I really do wonder why some people settled here! ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

I think the reasoning behind the alcohol ban is due to Songkran, though I doubt anyone in the villages will take any notice of either rules.

What alcohol ban?  My SO went out and got supplies yesterday because she said a ten day ban starting today.  This morning while getting fruit etc we passed a local Mum n Pop alcohol shop.  They were open with quite a few customers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I'm personally going outside with a camera during the daytime to see just how many locals comply with this law.

My bet is that quite a few will still be drunk dancing in the street with dreadful music blasting, surrounded by barrels of water.

Pictures to follow soon..

See you do care ???? Good for you

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Didn’t Bangkok or some jurisdiction say just the other day you can celebrate but stay in your own neighborhood? I’m too lazy to track down the article and maybe I “misunderstood “ 

I think it was Phuket from memory.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

I am going to celebrate Songkran under my shower, bottle of beer in one hand, bottle of scotch in the other; and of course a sound blaster at max volume set up at a safe distance from the shower cell.

Just like every year, really. 

You lucky, lucky b*st*rd!

You have enough water to run a shower where you live?

????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

I'm sure the drunk farang backpackers will party, and then soon all farangs forced to leave. 

If there are drunk backpackers partying, then yes, they may well be thrown out, and deservedly so. 

I am sure that the authorities, and the Thai people, will distinguish between them, and the rest of us. Of course there will be the usual xenophobic idiots on Facebook, like those two clowns pictured with the catapults the other day, but they really are as stupid as the drunk backpackers.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I'm personally going outside with a camera during the daytime to see just how many locals comply with this law.

My bet is that quite a few will still be drunk dancing in the street with dreadful music blasting, surrounded by barrels of water.

Pictures to follow soon..

Looking forward to seeing them

2 hours ago, JAG said:

You lucky, lucky b*st*rd!

You have enough water to run a shower where you live?

????

We have a well and haven't had a water problem. In fact it's raining here now been raining about 2 hours

1 hour ago, Mike k said:

We have a well and haven't had a water problem. In fact it's raining here now been raining about 2 hours

So do i mike,we are one of the many provinces in drought,look through the posts here,mostly from people living in big cities,well for the many of us who don't we are in a far different situation,i personally have had no town water for 2 months,when i was getting it ,it stank of rotten eggs and was brown,my bore water is crystal clear. But for many up here no they won't be throwing water cos water little they have or are getting needs to be saved for the house,it's that more than govt orders that will make it a drier than normal songkran.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Speak for yourself, what an incredibly sad post! I for one will miss seeing the happiness in the village kids faces enjoying celebrating the Songkran Festival, people dressing up to show off their new Songkran attire, enjoying the holidays! ????

There is little enough joy in there lives as it is!

I really do wonder why some people settled here! ????

Yes Bwana,  the colonialist Judge of whether there is much joy in Thai peoples lives.

Nothing will stop the laughter of children playing water at home or people dressing up and enjoying themselves. For once in many years spared the days and days of excess, much of it instigated by outsiders, not to mention the deaths on the roads.

Best. Songkhran. Ever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Why not turn a negative into a very positive action. Just add detergent to your bucket of water and wash away the virus off everyone as well as everything. Problem solved!!

Well it will certainly wash and clean those "Dirty Falangs"

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, CGW said:

Go on ruin yet another "Knock the Thai's" thread with a few home truths!

Seems every thread now turns into the same old theme! ???? 

And human nature being what it is; I'm sure there are Thai social pages putting the same old theme on foreigners.

16 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Yes Bwana,  the colonialist Judge of whether there is much joy in Thai peoples lives.

Nothing will stop the laughter of children playing water at home or people dressing up and enjoying themselves. For once in many years spared the days and days of excess, much of it instigated by outsiders, not to mention the deaths on the roads.

Best. Songkhran. Ever.

What has this got to do with colonial judges?

Have you ever been on Silom during on April 13th?

It is literally thousands of Thais and a few tourists sprinkled in!

I never knew, foreigners had that much influence. to send out locals by the thousands to celebrate wet  wild, when in fact they would rather stay at home to celebrate the old fashioned way!

And this may come as a surprise for you: people can actually do BOTH!

Wow!

Isn't that crazy?