Real Exchange Rate For an Expat

JamesL1972

Hi everyone,

What would you all say the true exchange rate is? Living like an expat, not a Thai.

It’s been floating around 40 baht to £1 for a while now. But I just don’t think I get £1 worth from my 40 baht.

For example, Poundland in the UK is the equivalent to a 40 baht shop. I couldn’t dream of going into Villa and picking up a slab of Dairy Milk for 40 baht. Or a box of PG Tips for 40 baht. Those 2 at Villa would cost about 400 baht.

So my question is, how much baht would you need to get the same amount of things £1,000 would get you in UK?

It should be 40,000 but I have a feeling it’s closer to 80,000....

All opinions welcome...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Don't expats smoke? most of my expat friends do.

gave up smoking when they hit about 2 shillings for 20 ,wow ,that was a long time ago ,mind you i used to like  home rolled ciggies called marua,marijuna ,or something like that????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JamesL1972 said:

That's why I stated living like an expat. Not everyone enjoys eating 40 baht street food.

I guess many expats living in Thailand do enjoy 40 baht streetfood. I do.

But try to buy one kilo of mangoes for 1 GBP in the UK....

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesL1972 said:

a box of PG Tips for 40 baht.

isn't that a British tea? How could it be cheaper here then back home? 

you gotta go apples to apples... 

for example... how much is the television tax there and here? 

how about a foot massage? etc..

living like an expat?, we all are expats and live here, I still buy western food at times but eat a lot of local food because its great and cheap. Bought heaps of stuff over the years, paid almost 3 times as much for a BBQ than I would in Australia when I first got here but accepted it as it had to be imported and taxed, same as anything from overseas does when it went to Australia. Its the same with food, wine, cheese etc, you want imported food you will pay the extra so you cannot use that as a comparison in money value sense, for that you have to compare the same products  in each country, as mentioned houses here are so much cheaper it isnt funny, same with petrol and a lot of machinery. I bought a honda brush cutter and 2" water pump here for $650 for both, in Australia it would have been $800 just for the brush cutter and around the same for the pump, clothes are way cheaper and food prices are excellent, top restaurants selling "expat" food are very comparable to western countries and even cheaper, of course you want to buy from just the most expensive shops you will pay more but buying from supermarkets etc prices are fine. I buy top cuts of beef imported from Australia & NZ and prices are virtually the same as they were there, vegetables are a lot cheaper as is fruit, mangosteens were $3  each in Australia, here I get a big bag of them for the same price, same with all other fruit and  it tastes a lot better, looks to me you are just looking for something to whinge about as most expats in here will disagree with you, living here is a lot cheaper than living back home

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, whiteman said:

so many cheap charlies on here you only live once

Everything is relative.

I stay now and then in Bangkok/Thonglor for a month or more.

The price I paid there is nearly the double I paid here at MaxxCity, for the same surface.

People living permanently in Thonglor, may consider the people living in Pattaya as cheap charlies.