I just don't care anymore.

WineOh

40 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Always wondered, where the lines get blurred from enjoying a drink, to having a good time, to wanting a drink, to needing a drink, to being addicted to drink.? and do people realise they are even entering those phases until its too late. Never understood the attraction myself.

Each to his own as they say, regardless of how you choose to live there is that little "use by date" that none of us can see and when its up, it over. Enjoy what you can when you can, cos ya just dont know whats around the corner.

I drink a lot. I would say the line comes in when you start blacking out, and have to consistently apologize for things you don't remember. That's the first sign you have gone too far. I think with the Thai language it can lead to a problem as when this starts to happen Thais won't say much about it the next day. So it can become possible to live your entire life in Thailand with nobody ever calling you out about what a drunken moron you have become.

In the west it is much more likely a friend will take you aside and say alcohol or not we won't remain friends if that happens again. Nuff said.

In Thailand the wife still needs the drunk. That leads to the downward spiral of co-dependency. Very few rights are given to foreigners in Thailand. However if a drunk finds a younger bar girl the former wife has very little recourse. There are literally very few consequences for an addict in Thailand. Have a couple of kids in Thailand, it doesn't work out move to the Philippines. 

For me however I never say sorry for things I do when I am drunk. Blaming alcohol isn't what a man does. If I can't remember it I assume I made a sound judgement call at the time. That's the end of it. My wife is too scared to talk to me anyway. Also she speaks very little English.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Steve Irwin loved nature. Everyday he went out in it year after year. One day he got poked in the heart by a Manta Ray and died. Bob loves driving motorcycles one day he got T boned by a cement truck and died. At the end when it's over what's the difference?

So long as you live life doing what you love to do.

Steve Irwin pushed nature a bit too hard , one day it pushed back! Could be said for this latest example of pluckin with nature!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Steve Irwin pushed nature a bit too hard , one day it pushed back! Could be said for this latest example of pluckin with nature!

It makes me laugh because I always said one day it's going to bite him in the ass. Oh she's a beaut! Fiesty one ain't she?!?! Reminds me of the dating system in Thailand. Go down to the Crocodile bar and start poking things with a stick.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

For me however I never say sorry for things I do when I am drunk. Blaming alcohol isn't what a man does. If I can't remember it I assume I made a sound judgement call at the time. That's the end of it. My wife is too scared to talk to me anyway. Also she speaks very little English.

You drunk?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Steve Irwin loved nature. Everyday he went out in it year after year. One day he got poked in the heart by a Manta Ray and died. Bob loves driving motorcycles one day he got T boned by a cement truck and died. At the end when it's over what's the difference?

So long as you live life doing what you love to do.

I'll drink to that !

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I drink a lot. I would say the line comes in when you start blacking out, and have to consistently apologize for things you don't remember. That's the first sign you have gone too far. I think with the Thai language it can lead to a problem as when this starts to happen Thais won't say much about it the next day. So it can become possible to live your entire life in Thailand with nobody ever calling you out about what a drunken moron you have become.

My first year in Thailand I drank lots of Chang every night, passed out often and frequently woke up beside some girl whose name I didn't know, and whom I didn't remember meeting, banged her again and gave her 1,000bht as she left.

Can't say I ever apologised for anything or was embarrassed, as everyone I met was doing the same.

Did anyone ever do it any different?

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

In the west it is much more likely a friend will take you aside and say alcohol or not we won't remain friends if that happens again. Nuff said.

In Thailand the wife still needs the drunk. That leads to the downward spiral of co-dependency. Very few rights are given to foreigners in Thailand. However if a drunk finds a younger bar girl the former wife has very little recourse. There are literally very few consequences for an addict in Thailand. Have a couple of kids in Thailand, it doesn't work out move to the Philippines. 

Mate, sounds like you’ve got it all sorted... ????

On 4/10/2020 at 3:04 PM, Pilotman said:

Yes. kind of. to all that.  In the absence of gym and coffee with friends, I undertake small tasks around the house, just to keep my legs moving.  the pool has never been cleaner.  But yes, I know I am eating too much and drinking more that I used to and more than is really good for me. My wife is stuck at her Mothers house in the north, so its just me, which is also not too good for long periods of time.  Not sleeping too well either.  The highlights are the all too brief trips to Tesco or Big C for the most trivial of items, just to get out. Rather defeats the objective I know.  

At least you can video chat with your wife.

I do it every couple of days between Sydney and Chiang Mai. My Thai son gets his kids organized for them to show me some work they have done to practice their maths or English or Thai, drawing, making lego stuff, making vegemite sandwiches, etc. 

We will survive.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 7:54 PM, marko kok prong said:

Strange ,you say the best thing is you don't have to intereact with thais, one would pose the question then why do you live here,i have always found most Thai people very nice,friendly and helpful,does help if you can speak some thai,but one would guess you probably reside in Patts,Bangkok,Phuket ect,not the real Thailand.

Many reasons to live in LOS that don't include interacting with Thais ( other than in the shops and of course immigration ). Most of mine were more about it being more pleasant than my home country as relate to society. Can't stand PC and so far LOS hasn't gone too far down that dire road. Another is that attractive youngish women at home would never associate with me, but in LOS no problem at all to have an attractive young female GF. Cost of accommodation is a big one. My standard of living decreased astronomically when I returned home. Basic health care is far cheaper in LOS. Just seeing a Dr is expensive at home, and very cheap in LOS, also most drugs available over the counter but at home only on prescription, which is expensive to get. Yes, being in a decent hospital does cost a lot in LOS, and it was the cost of insurance that made me leave LOS, but at home while hospital is free, waiting lists are very long.

LOS is very interesting, and traveling around cheap. Home is also interesting, but traveling around is very, very expensive, unless riding a bicycle and sleeping in a tent.

Speaking conversational Thai is NOT necessary except in very rural areas, and it is NOT necessary to have one's own transport.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many reasons to live in LOS that don't include interacting with Thais ( other than in the shops and of course immigration ). Most of mine were more about it being more pleasant than my home country as relate to society. Can't stand PC and so far LOS hasn't gone too far down that dire road. Another is that attractive youngish women at home would never associate with me, but in LOS no problem at all to have an attractive young female GF. Cost of accommodation is a big one. My standard of living decreased astronomically when I returned home. Basic health care is far cheaper in LOS. Just seeing a Dr is expensive at home, and very cheap in LOS, also most drugs available over the counter but at home only on prescription, which is expensive to get. Yes, being in a decent hospital does cost a lot in LOS, and it was the cost of insurance that made me leave LOS, but at home while hospital is free, waiting lists are very long.

LOS is very interesting, and traveling around cheap. Home is also interesting, but traveling around is very, very expensive, unless riding a bicycle and sleeping in a tent.

Speaking conversational Thai is NOT necessary except in very rural areas, and it is NOT necessary to have one's own transport.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Fair enough.

I forgot to include a BIG reason to prefer LOS- the weather. I hate being cold. I was never cold in LOS. I slept with a sheet over me in cool season, but that was the only difference.

A minor reason is the bum gun. Soooooo much better than paper.

• Like 1

I feel for you mate - Thailand without pubs, and eating out, would be boring, to say the least. I'm in Oz, but at least the bottle shops are open and I'm living next to the beach.

Hang in there buddy - it will pass and before long you'll be enjoying a cold pint in you local.

Edited by dbrenn