Thailand reports 50 new Covid-19 cases

webfact

3 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

If we got numbers coming out like NY, it would be splashed all over social media. With this focused based testing they are doing now, your not going to get high numbers unless you test higher numbers.

As other posters mentioned, I would love to know Thailand's magic formula in staving off a pandemic. We had hundreds of thousands of Chinese from hot spots let in and so far to date, we are up their with the numbers of being world beaters in repressing this outbreak. In reality I hope it is true but how certain can we be. 

I had thought we were done for when the Thonglor cases, Boxing Stadium, and phi noi cases all happened within a week of each other.

This was after shamelessly letting in high 6 figures of chinese people up until the last possible moment.

It has been fairly quiet since then and we did not go an an asymptotic upwards slope of infections/death like other countries.  It is almost mid-April.  We should have seen it by now but no one can be certain.

• Like 1

Based only on my hunch I think Thailand is somewhere between a manageable South Korea type situation and a severe USA type situation. But if Thailand loosens up too much and too quickly they will join the ranks of the worst case countries. 

Yes I get the pressure to accelerate this but that doesn't mean it would be a good idea. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Why isn't the whole world focused on the miracle that is the Covid-19 situation in Thailand?! Hundreds of thousands of Chinese tourists coming here with no restrictions at the start and through the peak of the infections in China, absolutely no effective social distancing here, and still Thailand peaked at 188 infections in one day and now has trended down to 50. The local RO dropped seemingly to less than 1.0 even before the recent curfew was put into place. All this while hundreds of thousands are being infected and tens of thousands are dying almost everywhere else. How is it that this isn't being focused on in the world news?

Really!! :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Based only on my hunch I think Thailand is somewhere between a manageable South Korea type situation and an severe USA type situation. But if Thailand loosens up too much and too quickly they will join the ranks of the worst case countries. 

I have to agree.  I would rather be inconvenienced for an extra few days with all the precautions and freedom limitations the government imposed rather than letting up early and having to do it again with it's added deaths, mayhem and economical devastation.  Best to err on the side of safety.

Edited by gerry1953
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Lots of coverage and recent scientific research from China showing high temperature and high humidity slows the potential spread. Influenza viruses thrive in colder and drier temperatures, not 35+.

Makes sense. I wonder if the epidemic models take into account the longevity of the virus on exposed surfaces. If this drops from say 8 hours to 1 because of heat then the R0 rate may be significantly impacted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

hell no man.  no one believes China's numbers.

There is evidence that the real numbers START at 20x what was reported.  Additionally, before the report was stifled by the chinese government, mobile operators were reporting 21 million mobile accounts that went inactive.  

Even if this was attributed to a person having two phones, 10 million is a crazy number

Because China changed to only two numbers per person across the two service providers. It isnt such a big number amongst 700million users.

Ok, why are Chinese numbers unbelievable? Try to do better than 'because they're 'kaaahmunest' ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

The article says the EDs are empty because of consideration for the NHS and fear of contagion. Not beds where C-19 patients go, which are overflowing.

Also you overestimate Thai's fear of the powers that be. They have their ways of expressing themselves. Case in point: recent viral tweets about things that must not be said about those whom nothing must be said.

Edited by Why Me

17 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Because China changed to only two numbers per person across the two service providers. It isnt such a big number amongst 700million users.

Ok, why are Chinese numbers unbelievable? Try to do better than 'because they're 'kaaahmunest' ????

The CPC spokesman is here again ????

4 minutes ago, Why Me said:

The article says the EDs are empty because of consideration for the NHS and fear of contagion. Not beds where C-19 patients go, which are overflowing.

Also you overestimate Thai's fear of the powers that be. They have their ways of expressing themselves. Case in point: recent viral tweets about things that must not be said about those whom nothing must be said.

You can be anonymous on twitter re ************, not so much about a patient in a hospital

1 minute ago, Canuck1966 said:

You can be anonymous on twitter re ************, not so much about a patient in a hospital

Ye nuts? So I can tweet re ***** but if I report going to visit my sick so-and-so and seeing 20 others, I get hauled off for attitude adjustment?

I shall henceforth socially distance myself from your posts.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

im gonna step out the box here.we have 30 something dead in 3 mnths ,it cant be govt that is helping as theyre not bright they cause more damage with their decrees so what is it?europe usa theyve better govt and better health systems,you can actually get a test there and dont pay not here of course.so its gotta be the temp and weather.SARS was the same.what could it be then?as for the economy the structure here is close to collapse.the medieval make up of society based ona feudal concept means that the big companys will survive as they are part of the structure and have deep pockets.the ordinary thai and small med biz could expire and thats the problem,the econ for the man in the street will shrivel up so in a country of 65 mill with 30dead somethings gotta give and real quick.people have little money now and when food becomes a problem so the problems will multiply,perhaps we must accept that the economy people livelihoods and business comes first ,hysteria is sweeping the world and we see the dead as a minute fraction of our pop,less than .05% and are sick and old by and large,maybe time we moved on as best we can.save the furure of the 99.95% ????

Maybe a certain Mr T will come out of the shadows and offer everybody 10k who supports the cause! 

I'm sure he's plotting somewhere to fill the chasm that the junta have created

Funny that Thailand is getting only 3% positive results from testing, whereas Indonesia, Philippines and Italy have 17-19% positive rates. Could it be Thailand's claimed number of tests carried out is somewhat exaggerated?  We are certainly not seeing widespread testing in Thailand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Funny that Thailand is getting only 3% positive results from testing, whereas Indonesia, Philippines and Italy have 17-19% positive rates. Could it be Thailand's claimed number of tests carried out is somewhat exaggerated?  We are certainly not seeing widespread testing in Thailand.

Very wise......

30 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

It's higher than 3%. Prior to this recent release of new tests, there were about 24k tests performed and about 2,200 positive cases. So, that's around 10%. We can't do a new calculation with the new test number of 74k until we also get the data on how many positive tests were in that additional group of tests. If you keep that hidden, you can't do a recalculation with the prior number of positives.

3 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Why isn't the whole world focused on the miracle that is the Covid-19 situation in Thailand?! Hundreds of thousands of Chinese tourists coming here with no restrictions at the start and through the peak of the infections in China, absolutely no effective social distancing here, and still Thailand peaked at 188 infections in one day and now has trended down to 50. The local RO dropped seemingly to less than 1.0 even before the recent curfew was put into place. All this while hundreds of thousands are being infected and tens of thousands are dying almost everywhere else. How is it that this isn't being focused on in the world news?

It actually is, in Germany they where impressed that a lot of institutions check temperatures before letting you in. What they don't know is that you get very silly readings sometimes.