BANGKOK
thaibutty

Future outlook for Phuket

Oh jeez, here we go. Chicken Littles incoming.

On the brightside a lot of greedy people who over-extended themselves will fall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 6

I personally have no clue how it will go. I cross fingers. Difficult to say. Obviously not good but cannot predict. From all the list of issues you mentioned I'd be rather concerned with homeland security, attacs, robbery and any kind of racism. Because the economic problems... I think are virtually everywhere else too. Obviously Phuket more affected since it lives greatly on tourism. Not sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Take into account it has been announced that schools won't restart till July. So that means for international schools in September.

Personally I am more optimistic than you and think that it will pickup sooner than you expect, but who knows. I do know I don't have the money for a bad high season.

Regarding crime, people keep saying that, but I have been hearing this for years and years already, and have so far not experienced or seen crime rates increase. So for the moment I am not worried about that.

I hope it picks up earlier. Of course, it is also too early to make a prediction. I guess sometime before the start of the school year it will become more clear if we can expect a return to somewhat normal for the high season. 

Worldwide tourism will be affected till at least year end and probably way after. Infection rates are almost doubling each week, so can expect almost 4million at next weekend, with 8 million befoe May...thats scary figures. Unless a magical vaccine is found...no one will be traveling anywhere. If I had a business with rent etc to pay, I would be inclined to quit, strip and get what you can for chattels and then start a fresh if things ever pick up. Hard call to dump a business that you've worked hard to build up but these thing a happen and you have to calculate colatoral damage.

Bleak outlook Butty. Tend to agree with you. Talked to an 'owner' big Bangla bar and he seems to think all his customers will be back November 2020. For sure this will be  a bumpy 12 months.  

Posted (edited)

That guy on Spotlight Thailand isnt doing anyone any favors......from what i've seen he's against all foreigners who even go out for walk.....😑

Edited by William Osborne