Actual experience on the Thai Government announcement of 7th April regarding the need (or not) to still go to the immigration offices

20 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

She explained what a regular tourist visa situation was, which seems to have covered all the visa statuses I'm aware of, which begs the question - what is an irregular visa situation?

Someone who has been on overstay since March 26 because they couldn't get a letter from their embassy? That does not seem to cover a lot of cases though.

3 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

Someone who has been on overstay since March 26 because they couldn't get a letter from their embassy? That does not seem to cover a lot of cases though.

The Samut Prakan Immigration officers asked me to reiterate to you that no-one needs to come in, but if you feel safe, then you are welcome to visit them. As there aren’t many people any more, they said it shouldn’t take long to extend your stay. Everything looked good to me.

Received this email from US State Department this afternoon

Automatic Extension of Tourist Visas

On April 8, the Royal Thai Government approved and implemented automatic visa extensions for foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) whose visas expire between March 26 and April 30, 2020. Visas will be extended automatically until April 30, 2020.The measure applies to all immigration categories including visa exemption (i.e., tourists who entered Thailand and received a 30-day visa), the category typically received by U.S. citizen tourists.  Ifyou have a valid visa, you do not need to visit an immigration office in order to benefit from the automatic visa extension.

If the National Emergency Decree is extended, then visas may (pending Cabinet approval) be extended automatically again for 30 days. For U.S. citizens who are staying in Thailand for over 90 days and were required to submit a Notification of Residence anytime after March 26, the deadline has been extended to April 30. If your visa expired on March 25 (or earlier), you will need to visit the nearest local immigration office to request a visa. You may be subject to an overstay fine. You may also need an extension of stay request letter from the Embassy.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Why the rudeness?  Im particularly affected by that post since I usually attend that same IMM office. And if, as R. Barrow states, IMM reads his twitter and he knows someone inside, why wouldn't they say anything to him when he clearly posted that NO ONE not on overstay since before March 26 needs to attend to IMM office right now? 

I know im not giving you any fact so, In my opinion, It is as simple as attending to your IMM office if you have serious doubts about any information, as he, by the way, also suggested. You are the only one speaking about "believing" here, which is not the smartest thing to do right now, in one direction or another. Empty offices, great moment to go and check by yourself (if you need to, of course).

Right now, my embassy (the first european one that started issuing letters, in a fast way, in paper, and free of charge) says I dont need a letter even if I already got a 2nd covid extension as im ok until April 30, and another european embassy stopped issuing letters because they say its not needed to anyone. Im not saying im gonna believe them 100% as they are not the authority in the country. But I kind of trust my embassy in their reasons for stop issuing letters. It's certainly not because they dont want to work anymore. 

P.s.: no one is discussing the validity of this post. 1st (bad) experience and very helpful for lots of us! 

I can't speak for that poster, but the rudeness comes maybe because there is a farang pretending he understands Thai immigration, and stating things as fact when the truth of the matter is, he can't possibly understand <deleted> is going on. Although I am sure he does his best. He may understand a lot... but as this guy pointed out to you, believe the IO in front of you. In fact, take that to your grave. Whatever the <deleted> R Barrow tells you he thinks he knows, believe the IO standing in front of you. 

Edited by sucit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, sucit said:

I can't speak for that poster, but the rudeness comes maybe because there is a farang pretending he understands Thai immigration, and staing things as fact when the truth of the matter is, he can't possibly understand <deleted> is going on. He may understand a lot... but as this guy pointed out to you, believe the IO in front of you. In fact, take that to your grave. Whatever the <deleted> R Barrow tells you he thinks he knows, believe the IO standing in front of you. 

That is what we all should do if we have serious concerns: go check by ourselves at an IMM office. I wont stay home because Richard Barrow said so. It's me who risks an overstay, not him.

Anyway, I dont think he has been interpreting the thai immigration as we all are comfy doing here. If he is not lying, he has spoken with them (at least with Samut Prakan IMM, which directly affects me). So maybe it's an office issue. CW against Samut Prakan. Asi I already posted, a 1st hand experience in Samut Prakan office confirms Barrow: 

The rudeness is not needed. We are here seriously doing nothing more than giving opinions and interpretations. If Richard Barrow's name cannot be brought here, let's just come back to Italy and UK embassies messages.

Edited by ANDREW999

14 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

That is what we all should do if we have serious concerns: go check by ourselves at an IMM office. I wont stay home because Richard Barrow said so. It's me who risks an overstay, not him.

Anyway, I dont think he has been interpreting the thai immigration as we all are comfy doing here. If he is not lying, he has spoken with them (at least with Samut Prakan IMM, which directly affects me). So maybe it's an office issue. CW against Samut Prakan. Asi I already posted, a 1st hand experience in Samut Prakan office confirms Barrow: 

The rudeness is not needed. We are here seriously doing nothing more than giving opinions and interpretations. If Richard Barrow's name cannot be brought here, let's just come back to Italy and UK embassies messages.

There is definitely some inconsistency going on. I read on a facebook group, that up in Chiang Mai immigration, they are indeed advising all tourists (regular, exempt, extended) that they are automatically covered.  This is really bad if you need to be selective on which office you go to in order to get the correct treatment for your permission to stay. It's a big mess to say the least!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

There is definitely some inconsistency going on. I read on a facebook group, that up in Chiang Mai immigration, they are indeed advising all tourists (regular, exempt, extended) that they are automatically covered.  This is really bad if you need to be selective on which office you go to in order to get the correct treatment for your permission to stay. It's a big mess to say the least!

Totally. I have been so relaxed for almost 2 days. Too good to be true any longer

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

In the end, for each individual, it will depend on your local immigration office's definitions of "visas" and "all". There is nothing particularly new in this. Thai official regulations are rarely clear and, on the rare occasions that they are clear, some officials will still manage to misread them.

Totally agree. And they can misread them with no consequences, cant they?

The thing is, what will we do when our embassy interprets we do not need a letter anymore and stop issuing it, as in my case? ????

I just spoke through my thai girlfriend with one Immigration officer from Samut Prakan immigration office (the one that processed my covid extension last time).

My 2nd extension expires in April 25. She said I dont need to come on April 25 to apply for a 3rd. extension, and just wait for further news from the PM on April 30.

So, apparently, and after 3 cases, Samut Prakan is following what the majority of us interpreted

28 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

I just spoke through my thai girlfriend with one Immigration officer from Samut Prakan immigration office (the one that processed my covid extension last time).

My 2nd extension expires in April 25. She said I dont need to come on April 25 to apply for a 3rd. extension, and just wait for further news from the PM on April 30.

So, apparently, and after 3 cases, Samut Prakan is following what the majority of us interpreted

A simple question, why didn't u return home in January when ur visa expired ?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ANDREW999 said:

But BKK is NOT! Apparently or just not for the special guy who smells? Until diverging cases can be clarified this is not the conclusion yet ????

Just like every covid infection is traced down & isolated we need to clarify these few cases instead of blaming the messenger...

It seem we have reports that CW counter J (covid ext.) is continuing to require manual extensions although everything in the cases indicate it should be automatic & that they need to continue manual process forever (do not qualify auto).

So why is that?? is it the nationality of passport? color of their skin? the brain size of the specific officer?

Edited by worldfun
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, worldfun said:

But BKK is NOT! Apparently or just not for the special guy who smells? Until diverging cases can be clarified this is not the conclusion yet ????

Just like every covid infection is traced down & isolated we need to clarify these few cases instead of blaming the messenger...

It seem we have reports that CW counter J (covid ext.) is continuing to require manual extensions although everything in the cases indicate it should be automatic & that they need to continue manual process forever (do not qualify auto).

So why is that?? is it the nationality of passport? color of their skin? the brain size of the specific officer?

Yes, we definitely need to keep tracking stories. no one blamed any messenger. We are just trying to compare informations. Of course 1st hand information is totally legit, but it doesnt mean that a few cases will change what many are interpreting and receiving in a different way. On the other hand, even if Samut Prakan tells me I dont need to do anything as they told me, what am I going to say to the imm officer in some border if he/she thinks i have been overstaying for who knows how much time? 'Listen, this person, from this office told me i was fine'. The ideal situation would be a signed and stamped letter where the imm office affirms to have given some information to the "alien".

During early march my passport (Italy) implied an stigma, even if you had been in Thailand since before covid-19 explosion. That's the main reason for me to be in a tourist visa yet, begging to get an extra extension or an "amnesty" (as if i was considered a criminal) until the situation improves. The excessive and blind panic among a citizenship in itself. A few visa agencies rejected to drive me to Laos to change my visa stating that I would be rejected in the embassy and/or when trying to come back. That is why I didnt move from here. And soon Thailand started requiring quarantine and health certificate to my citizenship. If it wasnt for my embassy, which has been willing to help us since day 0, at the moment I would be on overstay for 2 weeks already. I dont think this is a nationality thing anymore, but the freedom and impunity to interpret an order in one way or another.

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Like 2

I went to Jomtien yesterday to extend 60 day based on non o marriage (expire apr 23)......neither the receptionist or IO mentioned that i was covered under amnesty and processed as normal (in about 10 minutes).... i was actually concerned that i would be sent away to come back after apr 30 and face the possible mayham again so i didnt ask any questions.

2 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

I went to Jomtien yesterday to extend 60 day based on non o marriage (expire apr 23)......neither the receptionist or IO mentioned that i was covered under amnesty and processed as normal (in about 10 minutes).... i was actually concerned that i would be sent away to come back after apr 30 and face the possible mayham again so i didnt ask any questions.

They would certainly not refuse to accept a valid extension application even thought it was not needed.

No need to worry about the 30th since it will be extended. IMO it would of been better to of waited until the decree has ended since it will be phased in. It will certainly not be go into effect immediately.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They would certainly not refuse to accept a valid extension application even thought it was not needed.

No need to worry about the 30th since it will be extended. IMO it would of been better to of waited until the decree has ended since it will be phased in. It will certainly not be go into effect immediately.

Yah...i hear you but I will probably do the 1 year ext next month as  non o expires in june anyway, so i would prefer to have actual stamps in my passport opposed to amnesty......which may be misinterpreted by IO on the day.