Surgeon recalls Chulalongkorn Hospital’s first operation on COVID-19 patient

webfact

Surgeon recalls Chulalongkorn Hospital’s first operation on COVID-19 patient

92549258_4306274202731980_32129036378565

A surgeon at Chulalongkorn Hospital has shared, via Facebook, his first nerve-racking experience of operating on a patient infected with COVID-19.

Dr. Phuphat Vongwattanakit said, while it was the first operation of its kind at Chulalongkorn Hospital, and he was not sure whether it was the first of its kind in Thailand.

He gave a detailed account of the necessary pre-operation preparations, starting with the powered, air-purifying respirator (PAPR) which, he suggested, surgeons get used to wearing.

Since the headgear was equipped with positive air pressure, there was no need to wear an N95 surgical mask as well, but the anaesthesiology team wore them, because they are more convenient than the full PAPR, especially during removal of the gown.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/surgeon-recalls-chulalongkorn-hospitals-first-operation-on-covid-19-patient/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-10
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was the surgery necessary, was it elective, was it on an elderly patient, why was the surgery needed, and what was the surgical date.  Other than explaining how they dressed for the surgery, how they prepped, and unsuited, the story leaves a lot out that of it that would make it truly newsworthy.  I was drawn in by the title in the hopes to hear if the surgery was on the lung issues created by the Pneumonia that is so nasty with this COVID-19.  More questions than answers I guess.  Just my opinion I guess.

Surely logic tells us it must have been necessary / urgent.

Doubt they'd have done it for <deleted>s and kicks?!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Surely logic tells us it must have been necessary / urgent.

Doubt they'd have done it for <deleted>s and kicks?!

I do not doubt that.  However, have elective surgeries been stopped.  My post was about a lack of information in a story, that otherwise only told of how they prepared for a surgery of a COVID-19 patient.  The  "Surgeon recalls Chulalongkorn Hospital’s first operation on COVID-19 patient" title for the story gave the impression it would talk about the operation.  "Surgeon recalls first time preparations made for Chulalongkorn Hospital's first operation on COVID-19 patient" maybe would have been a better title......but then I guess only I care what it was for, at which stage the patient was in regarding the virus, and if it was a procedure which was the first of it's kind to save a patient from the virus.......Sorry I bored you with my response....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2