Customs denies reports of curbs on import of medical essentials

webfact

Customs denies reports of curbs on import of medical essentials

By The Nation

800_1e9efe54855dfaf.jpeg?v=1586503830

The Customs Department has denied ordering a halt to imports of medical items required to tackle the Covid-19 outbreak.

According to various online media, the department had issued an urgent order "stopping import of products, such ad personal protective equipment (PPE), thermometers and respirators".

In a statement, the department rejected the reports as false. "The Customs Department has never issued a letter notifying operators or importers to stop importing products, such as PPE, thermometers and respirators and these can be imported as usual," the statement said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385739

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-10

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

They stopped my package containing a digital thermometer that reads the ear temperature towards the end of February.

They needed all sorts of documents including my original passport (which never leaves my side), of course I told them to pjss off, I never did get the electronic thermometer.

They are lying. This came from the US, stopped at customs and now it's showing up as 'lost'.

I wonder who's using my thermometer now?

I regard it as having been stolen by the state.

I had a package of two hearing aids stopped in the same way last year. The requirement to show the actual passport to customs is absolutely idiotic. In the end, I let the courier take it and show it to them, but with great misgivings.

4 minutes ago, sprq said:

I had a package of two hearing aids stopped in the same way last year. The requirement to show the actual passport to customs is absolutely idiotic. In the end, I let the courier take it and show it to them, but with great misgivings.

There's no way I'm sending my passport off to anyone, ever. So I will live without the thermometer but I will complain about my shoddy treatment by the Thai Government for many years to come.

image.png.4ab2641c3b36e4e25e2e61e8e7a82ad4.png

Companies like Amazon should really blacklist Thailand due to the random package seizure problems at the border ????

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, ukrules said:

They stopped my package containing a digital thermometer that reads the ear temperature towards the end of February.

They needed all sorts of documents including my original passport (which never leaves my side), of course I told them to pjss off, I never did get the electronic thermometer.

They are lying. This came from the US, stopped at customs and now it's showing up as 'lost'.

I wonder who's using my thermometer now?

I regard it as having been stolen by the state.

Same here, marked "damaged" and returning to sender, no trace now. Amazon seems to be refunding. 

As for asking to send original passport with mail or personally visit the customs, shame on you UPS. DHL has managed to do it online with a passport copy in the past.