NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Ugh well now we have two conflicting reports.. since CW was nearly empty I'm leaning towards the majority of people in your position aren't bothering to return to immigration.

maybe we are in different situations, I don't see a mention of it in his post but it seems that was his first extension, while in my case I already got the "under consideration" stamps and from what I understood by asking the officer today:

first time asking for extension -> automatic

already applied for extension -> not automatic

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder why embassies have stopped issuing letters then. Particularly my embassy (Italian), just let me know I dont need to attend to IMM on April 25, when my 2nd covid extension expires. I wonder...

If that was the case: 1st extension = automatic, 2nd aka covid extension = go to imm, they would have specified it.

I think we are in front of two unlucky isolated cases. I hope someone can bring more light to this. Or someone who can reach Richard Barrow, so he can make some sort of "public" concern

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

maybe we are in different situations, I don't see a mention of it in his post but it seems that was his first extension, while in my case I already got the "under consideration" stamps and from what I understood by asking the officer today:

first time asking for extension -> automatic

already applied for extension -> not automatic

They clarified later that it was the first CV19 extension attempt (with embassy letter), having done one regular extension already.

It would be truly bizarre if only the people who had done an initial CV19 extension had to keep going to immigration. It was a different office though, I can definitely see different interpretations coming about between offices, though you would assume CW to be the most likely to get the correct one.

1 minute ago, ANDREW999 said:

I wonder why embassies have stopped issuing letters then. Particularly my embassy (Italian), just let me know I dont need to attend to IMM on April 25, when my 2nd covid extension expires. I wonder...

the first time i asked for a letter from my embassy they said it was "fake news on social media" and there were no such requirement from the immigration... a week letter they were issuing the letters. I guess the embassies like everyone else here are trying to interpret thai immigration laws and announcements to their best but in the end it's still the immigration officer's call to give you the extension or not. I hope this is just a "lag" between what informations the immigration officers and the rest of us got and everyone will soon be on the same page.

• Like 2

If your Visa expired prior to March 26th, then you must have already extended and therefore subject to the then existing requirement to obtain an Embassy letter for additional extensions.

The new amnesty only affects those who's Visa (or permission of stay) expires later than the 26/3. These will receive automatic extensions. 

????‍♂️ The person whose visas has expired from 26th of March 2020 will be automatically extended to 30th of April 2020. There is no need to apply for a visa extension at Immigration Office for this period and will not be fined THB 500 per day for this case.

8 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

A lot of people who do not follow ThaiVisa forums are about to screwed by this. If they are here on a previously extended visa, and do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a RUDE AWAKENING at 500baht for each day that they failed to come in because they were MISLED by the announcement! #BaitAndSwitch

I am afraid this is already what is happening considering how empty was CW today (only two people before me at 2pm, counter J), many might have already assumed that extension was automatic for their case too and started to lay back, relax and stop reading frantically TV and the news all day long.

Edited by uberfarang
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The date of March 26th given in the announcement is also the date they stopped foreigners entering Thailand. Maybe coincidental, but I think not.

You might be right. I always wondered why it was backdated to that specific date.

9 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

A lot of people who do not follow ThaiVisa forums are about to screwed by this. If they are here on a previously extended visa, and do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a RUDE AWAKENING at 500baht for each day that they failed to come in because they were MISLED by the announcement! #BaitAndSwitch

The announcement is clear.

The fact folk don't understand what they read is not the fault of anyone else.

If people don't follow TVF, I doubt they'll follow any Immigration announcements either.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Well, for some reason it isn't clear as we have so many posters here asking for clarification on both visa extensions and 90 day reports.

Surely anyone who is in Thailand on a visa that is 90 days or less must be checking on their status regarding renewal etc.

Plus if they are extending then surely they should be in their home country if that was at all possible, but they are not so they will surely be checking every possible angle to get home.

Long stay expats like myself are in a different position, so in a sense it is easier for us to interpret the announcement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Not clear enough considering you get different answers depending on which immigration office you visit. It's going to be interesting if someone turned away from immigration as 'no need', later gets fined at the airport.

Maybe we need a written waiver from immigration confirming 'no need'?

Totally agree

• Like 1

So I guess if you have already asked for an extension, then you still have to keep doing it in person at the office, you'll only get free automatic extension if the initial visa expiration date was after March 26.

Worrying. Im on a normal 30 day visa exemption which I extended 30 days at CW mid march due to expire mid april which would then mean I need to go again in the next few days. Damn, need clarity... 

Edited by dsf9
  • Like 1

i guess we shouldn't be surprised if there actually is a catch in this 'automatic visa ext. for ALL'.

if it turns out only people who NEVER set foot in thai immigration (never extended stay permits in country) are eligible for the amnesty which actually is sort of fair. they traveled in & got stuck due to covid!

those who didn't leave while they could but instead went to immi & extended stay have caused their own problem ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I was in (an almost empty) CW today and they just gave me another extension stamp until April 29. I asked what should i do then, she replied if i want to stay longer I'll need to come again with another letter from the embassy. I showed her the announcement from April 7, she said it doesn't apply to me but only to people whose visa expired after March 26.

So you got an extension of stay until April 29. That date is after March 26, so it will be extended automatically to April 30 and later possibly one or several months more.

Edited by RloLigor