BANGKOK
uberfarang

NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

Posted (edited)

That is concerning. I wonder if anyone else has gone over there and had the same experience?
@ubonjoe....care to chime in on what this person has reported???

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Is there some reason you posted this again?

this is my first post. what other post are you referring to? 

• Like 1

Ugh well now we have two conflicting reports.. since CW was nearly empty I'm leaning towards the majority of people in your position aren't bothering to return to immigration.

seems like there was another post earlier from someone who had the same experience as mine:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Ugh well now we have two conflicting reports.. since CW was nearly empty I'm leaning towards the majority of people in your position aren't bothering to return to immigration.

maybe we are in different situations, I don't see a mention of it in his post but it seems that was his first extension, while in my case I already got the "under consideration" stamps and from what I understood by asking the officer today:

first time asking for extension -> automatic

already applied for extension -> not automatic

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder why embassies have stopped issuing letters then. Particularly my embassy (Italian), just let me know I dont need to attend to IMM on April 25, when my 2nd covid extension expires. I wonder...

If that was the case: 1st extension = automatic, 2nd aka covid extension = go to imm, they would have specified it.

I think we are in front of two unlucky isolated cases. I hope someone can bring more light to this. Or someone who can reach Richard Barrow, so he can make some sort of "public" concern

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

maybe we are in different situations, I don't see a mention of it in his post but it seems that was his first extension, while in my case I already got the "under consideration" stamps and from what I understood by asking the officer today:

first time asking for extension -> automatic

already applied for extension -> not automatic

They clarified later that it was the first CV19 extension attempt (with embassy letter), having done one regular extension already.

It would be truly bizarre if only the people who had done an initial CV19 extension had to keep going to immigration. It was a different office though, I can definitely see different interpretations coming about between offices, though you would assume CW to be the most likely to get the correct one.

1 minute ago, ANDREW999 said:

I wonder why embassies have stopped issuing letters then. Particularly my embassy (Italian), just let me know I dont need to attend to IMM on April 25, when my 2nd covid extension expires. I wonder...

the first time i asked for a letter from my embassy they said it was "fake news on social media" and there were no such requirement from the immigration... a week letter they were issuing the letters. I guess the embassies like everyone else here are trying to interpret thai immigration laws and announcements to their best but in the end it's still the immigration officer's call to give you the extension or not. I hope this is just a "lag" between what informations the immigration officers and the rest of us got and everyone will soon be on the same page.

• Like 2

If your Visa expired prior to March 26th, then you must have already extended and therefore subject to the then existing requirement to obtain an Embassy letter for additional extensions.

The new amnesty only affects those who's Visa (or permission of stay) expires later than the 26/3. These will receive automatic extensions. 

👮‍♂️ The person whose visas has expired from 26th of March 2020 will be automatically extended to 30th of April 2020. There is no need to apply for a visa extension at Immigration Office for this period and will not be fined THB 500 per day for this case.