NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I wonder how many folk having obtained the "under consideration" stamp (would be many) are thinking they don't need to attend immigration. They could by mistake slip into overstay.

The only thing I found clear about the english translation of the order that was posted was that it was unclear and I could decipher absolutely nothing resembling understanding from it.Clear as mud springs to mind.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

Since my SETV officially ended on Mar 29th (with a regular extension), I wonder in hindsight if it would've been better for me to not have obtained the Covid extension since I too now have that dreaded "consideration" notice to appear on my passport. Sucks to be possibly punished for doing the right thing.

I for one thought that the stamp you have (under consideration) was a permission of stay until the report back date. 

I'm wrong and it seems people need report back on certain date if they obtained the covid extension and were issued under consideration date to return.

Seems bit unfair.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

dsf9 - my reading of ur situation is that ur visa expires after 26th March, so that must put u in the group where u get an automatic extension until the 30th April.

If that isn't the case then I give up.

IMHO the 30th April date is way too soon, should have gone until the end of May , especially as we have a cancelled Songkhran in the middle of it just to confuse matters.

<deleted> can u get an Easter Egg ?

wot is wrong with the word filtering here, the 'c' and 'f' word are used quite freely in the UK national press, both online and printed. 

"<deleted>" is deleted ???

Exactly. There's no need for dsf9 to worry because his visa exempt extension expires after March 26. It still seems to be quite a mess and confusion about all of this. The ones with the so called "covid extension" clearly haven't been informed well enough what they should do. What a shame to hear that some still go to the immigration just to face more confusion. Nobody should have to go there at this time. 

You're right that April 30 is way too soon. Just means that in a few weeks time everyone has to be nervous again and waiting for an announcement of the next announcement an so on. The game starts all over again! 

18 hours ago, ANDREW999 said:

I wonder why embassies have stopped issuing letters then.

The Australian embassy stopped issuing the letter on the day of the announcement. implying that the "Covid" extension is no longer necessary.

The Thai Government has announced automatic extension of visas for foreign nationals in Thailand until 30 April 2020.
As a result of this announcement, you are not required to apply for a visa extension or to enter a 90 day report with the Immigration Bureau during this period.
Given this, the Australian Embassy will no longer be issuing letters to support Thai visa extensions at this time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fondue zoo said:

The Australian embassy stopped issuing the letter on the day of the announcement. implying that the "Covid" extension is no longer necessary.

The Thai Government has announced automatic extension of visas for foreign nationals in Thailand until 30 April 2020.
As a result of this announcement, you are not required to apply for a visa extension or to enter a 90 day report with the Immigration Bureau during this period.
Given this, the Australian Embassy will no longer be issuing letters to support Thai visa extensions at this time. 

The Australian Embassy (as I understand it) never issued an letter for citizens to obtain a "covid extension". Meaning second extension. They didn't provide anything for setv and visa exempt stamps.

15 hours ago, ANDREW999 said:

Even more accurate. Thanks!

actually not as the 2 or 3 conflicting cases concern not the stamp date but the extension type it was granted upon i.e. covid special case extension.

1. entering thailand we have different types of stamps

2. extending stay at IO we have different types of stamps and reasons behind thus the many different sections at CW A-Q?

Edited by worldfun

15 minutes ago, worldfun said:

actually not as the 2 or 3 conflicting cases concern not the stamp date but the extension type it was granted upon i.e. covid special case extension.

1. entering thailand we have different types of stamps

2. extending stay at IO we have different types of stamps and reasons behind thus the many different sections at CW A-Q?

In #1, it doesn't matter what type of stamp you have...you will be assigned a date that you are permitted to stay until with that stamp in your passport

#2, If the passport says "Under Consideration", it means the person does not have a definite "permitted to stay until" date assigned to them. They must go in on the date specified, and then the immigration will finally stamp their passport with a date.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Although it is - as usual - somewhat clumsy and ambiguously worded, it is pretty clear that the intent of the lower part of the diagram is that 'EVERY foreigner with a permission to stay stamp in his passport that expires after 26 March does NOT need to report at IO till 30 April'.

Note: Those that applied for the emergency extension and got an 'under consideration' stamp DO need to report, and on approval will get the required permission to stay stamp.

I always thought as you. But I had doubts for situations as Uberfarang where the government is clear but the officer do what he wants! So do you think it worth the risk? Did you see what Uberfarang discovered? In the future they could tell you: "yes but... your situation is different" and you are in a bad situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

In #1, it doesn't matter what type of stamp you have...you will be assigned a date that you are permitted to stay until with that stamp in your passport

#2, If the passport says "Under Consideration", it means the person does not have a definite "permitted to stay until" date assigned to them. They must go in on the date specified, and then the immigration will finally stamp their passport with a date.

Point 2 sounds reasonable to think among these nonsense situations. However, they should also include them in this amnesty. They proved enough their good intentions by attending the imm office during this special time. They passed the national security test.

Besides, do we have any example of a person being rejected a covid extension when coming back to  the office on the under consideration date? Everyone is getting extra days so far. They already submitted every paper, they are fine. If you are missing some paper or if they dont want to accept your case, they wont put you the under consideration stamp. I have seen people missing something. They were asked to come back another day and pay overstay

Edited by ANDREW999

44 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Point 2 sounds reasonable to think among these nonsense situations. However, they should also include them in this amnesty. They proved enough their good intentions by attending the imm office during this special time. They passed the national security test.

Besides, do we have any example of a person being rejected a covid extension when coming back to  the office on the under consideration date? Everyone is getting extra days so far. They already submitted every paper, they are fine. If you are missing some paper or if they dont want to accept your case, they wont put you the under consideration stamp. I have seen people missing something. They were asked to come back another day and pay overstay

I completely agree with you.  The positive spin on it is that when they do come in to convert their "under consideration" to a "permitted to stay", there will not be a horrendous queue to contend with. Should be in and out within an hour. And once they have that "permitted to stay" stamp with a date that is now after 26-March....they are now within the "amnesty group".

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Although it is - as usual - somewhat clumsy and ambiguously worded, it is pretty clear that the intent of the lower part of the diagram is that 'EVERY foreigner with a permission to stay stamp in his passport that expires after 26 March does NOT need to report at IO till 30 April'.

Note: Those that applied for the emergency extension and got an 'under consideration' stamp DO need to report, and on approval will get the required permission to stay stamp.

Clarification re amnesty.jpg

Important UPDATE of my earlier post.

It seems that the 'amnesty announcement' is also NOT applicable for long-stay Non Imm O or O-A Visa holders on an extension of stay.

Edited by Peter Denis

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

So my original VOA extension ended on the 6th April so I had a stamp saying I had a right to stay after the 26th March. 

I now have a 20 day under consideration stamp that takes me to the 26th April. 

So, does the 6th April stamp cover me to the 30th April or does the later under consideration stamp override this? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiteAddict said:

So my original VOA extension ended on the 6th April so I had a stamp saying I had a right to stay after the 26th March. 

So, does the 6th April stamp cover me to the 30th April or does the later under consideration stamp override this? 

Your under consideration stamp is not a permission to stay.  You therefore will need to visit IO on 26th April, and - when approved - you will get your permission to stay stamp.

Once you have that stamp you are exempt from visiting IO till 30th April (which will probably be prolonged to a later date, as the situation requires).

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, KiteAddict said:

I don't think anyone will be able to answer this until immigration offices fall into line with each other.

It does say anyone with permission to stay after 26th March (which you have) has an amnesty from fines.

But if there is hardly anyone at immigration it might be worth just getting the new permission to stay anyway. You'll get some extra exercise.

Edited by finy

I think the more important question is when the PM will extend the amnesty.

Will he do it a week before 30th April to give everyone peace of mind, or will he wait until the 7th of May and backdate it to 30th April potentially causing a massive influx to imm offices.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your under consideration stamp is not a permission to stay.  You therefore will need to visit IO on 26th April, and - when approved - you will get your permission to stay stamp.

Once you have that stamp you are exempt from visiting IO till 30th April (which will probably be prolonged to a later date, as the situation requires).

I had a valid permission to stay until March 29 (which would get an automatic extension). I went to MTT on March 26 to get an emergency extension so as not to be on Overstay. I am under consideration emergency covid extension and must report on April 23 (which would not). Do I have an automatic extension or not?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I had a valid permission to stay until March 29 (which would get an automatic extension). I went to MTT on March 26 to get an emergency extension so as not to be on Overstay. I am under consideration emergency covid extension and must report on April 23 (which would not). Do I have an automatic extension or not?

Your present status is 'under consideration' which is not an approved permission to stay.

Even though you were eligible for the automatic extension (your original permission to stay being after March 29) you applied for the emergency extension (which was wise to do so in the absence of info) and so you according to your present status you must report back on April 23. 

You would then receive your permission to stay stamp, and would be at least legit till April 30 (which by then will probably have been prolonged).

I would advise you not to take any chances, having to explain to an immigration officer why you did not report back.  

16 hours ago, andux said:

First attempt, no letter. Here is the information from the immigration bureau official website:

Source: https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1

First attempt, so that might explain why the automatic extension worked for you since your visa did expire after March 26. While in my case it expired in February and was already extended. The immigration diagram does not mention extensions so if the officer just look at the stamp on the actual visa (and not the extension) and saw the February 29 expiration date, the would consider it expired before March 26 and therefore the automatic extension did not apply to my case.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The Australian Embassy (as I understand it) never issued an letter for citizens to obtain a "covid extension". Meaning second extension. They didn't provide anything for setv and visa exempt stamps.

You have misunderstood then as I received a letter to get a "covid exrension" when my 60 day visit wife extension expired though I did have to grovel a bit and point out returning to Oz was not an option for myself. 

• Like 1

Regardless of what I hear, i'm still going to goto immigration when they told me to. I am already on an extension which ws stamped under consideration until the 24th april. I just belive it is safer this way.

If I am told there is no need and go back home then so be it.

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your present status is 'under consideration' which is not an approved permission to stay.

Even though you were eligible for the automatic extension (your original permission to stay being after March 29) you applied for the emergency extension (which was wise to do so in the absence of info) and so you according to your present status you must report back on April 23. 

You would then receive your permission to stay stamp, and would be at least legit till April 30 (which by then will probably have been prolonged).

I would advise you not to take any chances, having to explain to an immigration officer why you did not report back.  

So then after I get a legitimate stamp, I should have rolling extensions? Do I need additional embassy letters? Do I report to MTT of CW as it was off of visa exempt status?

Edited by vermin on arrival

13 hours ago, andux said:

It seems that all of the information here is pretty clear: https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1. Is there anything about your specific situation that doesn't match the requisites mentioned in the Immigration Bureau update?

Here's a diagram too:

1586420264281.jpg

I showed that same diagram (the thai version) to the officer and she said it specifies "visa that expired after March 26" and that wasn't for me.

Tbh I do not know if the reason for my visa not to qualify was because I already had an extension before March 26 or had that dreaded "under consideration" stamp. She seemed irritated that I asked (maybe because the hundred people before me did the same) so I didn't insist. Considering how things are changing from day to day and office to office, what her arguments were on Friday might not hold on Monday. I am looking forward to reading feedbacks from other members who will go there next week.

Edited by uberfarang
replace <deleted> with irritated
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You have misunderstood then as I received a letter to get a "covid exrension" when my 60 day visit wife extension expired though I did have to grovel a bit and point out returning to Oz was not an option for myself. 

The release from au embassy specifically mentioned embassy letter not available for tourist visa and visa exempt. 

It went on to say letter of support available for "long stay visa holders" think they were referring to annual extensions.  I have not  read a post of the visa exempt and setv folk being able to obtain the covid letter from AU embassy. 

Your post is first I have read of AU citizen obtaining the letter. Yes your situation bit different, as you didn't have visa exempt or tourist visa.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I few weeks ago when I asked my embassy for a letter to get the extension they said it was "fake news from social media" and that no letter was needed and embassies do not have such authority. A few hours later at the immigration I was turned away because I didn't have such letter. My point is, embassies are not a source of truth, the only one that is, is the officer who decides to grant your extension or not. The official announcement isn't clear about the situation of visa that are already extended, and the embassy's interpretation is as good as ours, or maybe worse, there are many people here who have a better understanding of thai immigration laws than people at the embassies.

• Like 1