BANGKOK
uberfarang

NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

18 minutes ago, RloLigor said:

So you got an extension of stay until April 29. That date is after March 26, so it will be extended automatically to April 30 and later possibly one or several months more.

I got it today. The officer said I have to come back again on April 29, with a new letter from embassy. No free automatic extension for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, uberfarang said:

I got it today. The officer said I have to come back again on April 29, with a new letter from embassy. No free automatic extension for me.

Probably miscommunication or incorrect information.

• Like 1

@ubonjoe So my original date to exit was March 29 using extension of visa exempt. I went on March 26th to get an emergency covid extension so as not to overstay at MTT. I got an under consideration stamp until April 23rd. Do I need to go again or do I have until April 30th? I would think I have automatic extension, but these two reports are worrying, and I am wondering if CW IO has the discretion to interpret it differently.

Just now, RloLigor said:

Probably miscommunication or incorrect information.

Could be but I doubt that me (on the other poster) are the only one who experienced "miscommunication". The office wasn't totally empty, the people before and after me at counter J weren't turned away either, I didn't check their stamps so I can't speak for them, but it seemed to me pretty much business as usual. I am afraid there won't be a lot of other feedbacks to confirm or infirm this because very few people showed up today at the office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

@ubonjoe So my original date to exit was March 29 using extension of visa exempt. I went on March 26th to get an emergency covid extension so as not to overstay at MTT. I got an under consideration stamp until April 23rd. Do I need to go again or do I have until April 30th? I would think I have automatic extension, but these two reports are worrying, and I am wondering if CW IO has the discretion to interpret it differently.

I think by the time you need to go back, other members would have had a chance to clarify the situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uberfarang said:

Could be but I doubt that me (on the other poster) are the only one who experienced "miscommunication". The office wasn't totally empty, the people before and after me at counter J weren't turned away either, I didn't check their stamps so I can't speak for them, but it seemed to me pretty much business as usual. I am afraid there won't be a lot of other feedbacks to confirm or infirm this because very few people showed up today at the office.

Sure. Makes sense. Why would people come? They thought the extensions were automatic, especially after checking the dates on their stamps, and they want to avoid possible infection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Sure. Makes sense. Why would people come? They thought the extensions were automatic, especially after checking the dates on their stamps, and they want to avoid possible infection.

Totally coherent if you check the stamp in your passport. Maybe they could have used the word stamp instead of visa.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Totally agree. I just showed up (and glad I did) because I haven't read yet any "field reports" (at CW) since the announcement came into effect and I was probably in the first ones to have to come back for the "under consideration" stamp, more will follow next week.

Edited by uberfarang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

A lot of people who do not follow ThaiVisa forums are about to screwed by this. If they are here on a previously extended visa, and do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a RUDE AWAKENING at 500baht for each day that they failed to come in because they were MISLED by the announcement! #BaitAndSwitch

I am happily on a one year extension so much of this goes over my head, but I am puzzled by the following:-

"if they......do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a rude awakening at 500 baht for each day". 

If they do not think they have an amnesty why would the daily 500 baht surprise them.??

46 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Better yet, use the words "permission to stay". That would be the most precise. Replace the word VISA which is ambiguous.

"Foreigners whose permission to stay in the Kingdom expires on 26-March or thereafter, will be granted an automatic extension of their permitted stay until 30-April."

That would cover all, eliminating the burden of interpretation of stamp types (Visa, Exemption, VOA, SETV, METV, Covid-Extension) because all of these ultimately get a "permitted to stay until" stamp. So IO just looks at the date stamp, checks it against 26-March, and done!

How hard would it have been to word it that way?    🤨

Even more accurate. Thanks!

Ah yes, The invaluable Thai Visa...Immigration Officers...the signed documents with photos...the waiting in line to find you do not have everything they now need...the moving requirements...the inconsistencies...

All part of the lure and mystique of Amazing Thailand...😊