NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

27 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Your present status is 'under consideration' which is not an approved permission to stay.

Even though you were eligible for the automatic extension (your original permission to stay being after March 29) you applied for the emergency extension (which was wise to do so in the absence of info) and so you according to your present status you must report back on April 23. 

You would then receive your permission to stay stamp, and would be at least legit till April 30 (which by then will probably have been prolonged).

I would advise you not to take any chances, having to explain to an immigration officer why you did not report back.  

Agreed. If your passport says "applicant must contact again in person on April 23", then you should just do that, unless they clarifies in the coming days that the amnesty also applies to people with "under consideration" stamps. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

I showed that same diagram (the thai version) to the officer and she said it specifies "visa that expired before March 26" and that wasn't for me.

Tbh I do not know if the reason for my visa not to qualify was because I already had an extension before March 26 or had that dreaded "under consideration" stamp. She seemed <deleted> that I asked (maybe because the hundred people before me did the same) so I didn't insist. Considering how things are changing from day to day and office to office, what her arguments were on Friday might not hold on Monday. I am looking forward to reading feedbacks from other members who will go there next week.

The text says 'since March 26' !

Did this immigration officer really reads and explains it as BEFORE March 26?

That wouldn't make any sense it all, because it would then only apply to those on over-stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

I completely agree with you.  The positive spin on it is that when they do come in to convert their "under consideration" to a "permitted to stay", there will not be a horrendous queue to contend with. Should be in and out within an hour. And once they have that "permitted to stay" stamp with a date that is now after 26-March....they are now within the "amnesty group".

That's actually what I asked the officer, if I was now covered by the "after March 26 amnesty", she said no and that if want to stay in Thailand after April 29, I have to come again and apply *with another letter from my embassy*. So even if the "under consideration" is converted to a "permitted to stay", it does not "upgrade" you to the automatically exempt group. The March 26 seems to be a hardcoded date related to your original visa expiry date, not extensions of permit of stay.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The text says 'since March 26' !

Did this immigration officer really reads and explains it as BEFORE March 26?

That wouldn't make any sense it all, because it would then only apply to those on over-stay.

Sorry there was a typo, I meant "visa that expire AFTER March 26".

So not only overstayers, it also applies to anyone whose visa expires in April. For instance you arrived in Thailand in March 15 with a 30 VOA, then you don't have to extend on April 15, it would be automatically extended until April 30.

Not even sure if the backdated March 26 was intended to give an amnesty to overstayers.

Edited by uberfarang
typo before -> after
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

That's actually what I asked the officer, if I was now covered by the "after March 26 amnesty", she said no and that if want to stay in Thailand after April 29, I have to come again and apply *with another letter from my embassy*. So even if the "under consideration" is converted to a "permitted to stay", it does not "upgrade" you to the automatically exempt group. The March 26 seems to be a hardcoded date related to your original visa expiry date, not extensions of permit of stay.

God help us if you have to deal with dimwit officers like that to stay legit in the country!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't doubt what your stating. I'm thinking the io is wrong. You obtained a 30 day permission of stay which will expire in April. 

The amnesty will be extended most likely on monthly basis and you (imo) won't be obtaining future covid extensions.

I hope you're right and she (and her colleagues) will be properly briefed next week. At least I don't have to go there for 18 more days.
I also hope the PM will announce an extension before that one expires and not on May 7th...

Just now, uberfarang said:

I hope you're right and she (and her colleagues) will be properly briefed next week. At least I don't have to go there for 18 more days.
I also hope the PM will announce an extension before that one expires and not on May 7th...

For sure your safe. 

Common sense would suggest that announcement of extending the emergency would occur perhaps 7 days prior to end of April and again week prior to end of May if lasts that long. 

47 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

Your original expiry date? You mean the first one without a normal extension? And then continuous emergency extensions necessary without being automatically exempt and constantly needing new embassy letters even though many embassies are stopping giving them due to the amnesty? Will the US embassy continue to give them?

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Your original expiry date? You mean the first one without a normal extension? And then continuous emergency extensions necessary without being automatically exempt and constantly needing new embassy letters even though many embassies are stopping giving them due to the amnesty? Will the US embassy continue to give them?

Case 1. Your permission of stay expired after March 26. Do nothing.

Case 2. You obtained a "covid extension" meaning second 30 day extension and were given stamp "under consideration". Then return back to imm on required date as indicated in pp to obtain your permission of stay stamp. Even if very late April.

Case 3. You obtained your first extension (normal extension) and it's expiring after march 26. Do nothing.

After that do nothing. 

USA Embassy no longer issuing Covid19 extension letters.

Which is a mistake because some of us still need the letter in special circumstances.

My fine embassy told me that letters will no longer be sent and to consult a lawyer...

lovely!

Edited by PumpkinEater
Additional text
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Case 1. Your permission of stay expired after March 26. Do nothing.

Case 2. You obtained a "covid extension" meaning second 30 day extension and were given stamp "under consideration". Then return back to imm on required date as indicated in pp to obtain your permission of stay stamp. Even if very late April.

Case 3. You obtained your first extension (normal extension) and it's expiring after march 26. Do nothing.

After that do nothing. 

My first normal extension expired on March 29, but I went on March 26 to get emergency covid extension to avoid overstay so case 2 and 3, but I assume case 2 preempts case 3.

13 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

My first normal extension expired on March 29, but I went on March 26 to get emergency covid extension to avoid overstay so case 2 and 3, but I assume case 2 preempts case 3.

Ha. Yes your one of the "overlap guys".

Fact is you obtained normal 30 day permission of stay. Think for sure your current permission of stay ends ~April 26.

Do nothing. 

2 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm on a regular SETV and did my "regular"/"legit" extension in the middle of march, to be expired in the middle of april. I got "amnesty" untill april 30th, right? 

Yes

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm on a regular SETV and did my "regular"/"legit" extension in the middle of march, to be expired in the middle of april. I got "amnesty" untill april 30th, right? 

Yes. Just to assist others....if it had been your second extension (covid with embassy letter) you would have been given "under consideration" stamp and would need return to immigration.

You however do not. 

Also your amnesty will almost certainly continue for May.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. Just to assist others....if it had been your second extension (covid with embassy letter) you would have been given "under consideration" stamp and would need return to immigration.

You however do not. 

What sounds really weird to me is that, after coming back on the under consideration date and get the rest of the days, as I already did myself, you will need to come again with a new embassy letter (as some have been said). I hope my imm office's major opinion (no need to come back) is extended soon. The other cannot be real. Otherwise too much wait for an amnesty that helps how much percent of the people? 20? The queues will be big again a few days.

Edited by ANDREW999

4 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

What sounds really weird to me is that, after coming back on the under consideration date and get the rest of the days, as I already did myself, you will need to come again with a new embassy letter (as some have been said). I hope my imm office's major opinion (no need to come back) is extended soon. The other cannot be real. Otherwise too much wait for an amnesty that helps how much percent of the people? 20? The queues will be big again a few days.

Try and chill. Realize very stressful. You returned on the under consideration date.

That's it your done. In a good way.

Along with everyone in similar boat the embassy letters and attend imm is done.

The few I worry about are guys that got under consideration stamp and now think they are home free. For every person reading Thaivisa there are sooo many that do not.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ha. Yes your one of the "overlap guys".

Fact is you obtained normal 30 day permission of stay. Think for sure your current permission of stay ends ~April 26.

Do nothing. 

So the fact that my emergency covid extension says under consideration to return on April 23rd, you believe I won't need and they will sort out their thinking on this since I was already good to March 29 with my first visa exempt extension. Yes, I am super stressing out, but not just from this, and thanks for your thoughts.

5 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

So the fact that my emergency covid extension says under consideration to return on April 23rd, you believe I won't need and they will sort out their thinking on this since I was already good to March 29 with my first visa exempt extension. Yes, I am super stressing out, but not just from this, and thanks for your thoughts.

That's not what @DrJack54 is saying.  An under consideration stamp is NOT a permission to stay, so you need to return there April 23rd to get the permission to stay stamp.  Once you have that permission to stay stamp the amnesty announcement will be applicable for you.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That's not what @DrJack54 is saying.  An under consideration stamp is NOT a permission to stay, so you need to return there April 23rd to get the permission to stay stamp.  Once you have that permission to stay stamp the amnesty announcement will be applicable for you.

He did say do nothing actually so I am a little confused tbh.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, finy said:

I'll wait until someone with more than 25 posts (probably most in this thread) posts about the same experience.

Far too many people are enjoying spreading doom and gloom at the moment.

With all due respect,

Mate are you equating post count with accuracy?     Can't a person who has lived in Thailand for 40 years or so become a new member with very few posts?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

He did say do nothing actually so I am a little confused tbh.

I referred to his post #108 which is also applicable for your situation.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You however do not. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's exactly correct. For first day I posted that folk with "under consideration stamp" did not need attend immigration. 

I WAS WRONG.

That in my opinion what is great about Thaivisa. Folk posting front line experiences. As a group we eventually work out what's required to assist. 

Heck I'm doing retirement extension November. Very easy for me.

However hurting for some folk now not in easy situation.

Ok one last question. Since my original entrance was visa exempt will I need to go to temporary immigration at MTT or do I go back to CW?

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Ok one last question. Since my original entrance was visa exempt will I need to go to temporary immigration at MTT or do I go back to CW?

Your post #111 refers to return for under consideration stamp think April 23. Then to be safe you should. 

I sent pm. Good luck. 

Your attendance would be to MTT. 

However things could change if empty. 

Reports CW like a ghost town.

• Thanks 1

Still clear as mud. I came in to Swampy on a non O multiple entry marriage based visa in January just before the visa expired. I got 90 day permission to stay. That ran out today 10 April. I had intended to go to Savanakhet and apply for a new non O multiple but of course border closed on both sides. So last week I went to Kalasin IO and go a 60 day extension. The emergency amnesty had not been published then.

So I am good to stay until 9 June although I'd actually rather not.

Anyway my flights out and back to France have now been cancelled. So I have to rebook to leave for Europe now.

If this crisis continues in to June, what then?

My current 60 day extension was granted after 26 March. I'm not in a position, even if I wanted a 1 year marriage extension, to raise 400k and anyway for 2 months seasoning that should have been done by today..

Does the amnesty, if still in force - at the moment it's only to 30 April anyway,  apply to me when this extension runs out? If not, what if borders here still closed so I cannot get to Savanakhet  or I cannot get a flight back to France or if it is outrageously  expensive and/;or travel within France to get to my destination there is still very restricted as it is presently

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

With all due respect,

Mate are you equating post count with accuracy?     Can't a person who has lived in Thailand for 40 years or so become a new member with very few posts?

My post had nothing to do with the OP himself (I don't know him personally).

But I bet there will be sock puppet accounts from random expats who enjoy nothing more than messing with people's heads by spreading misinformation.

The Daily Mail is a massive company and they've perfected it. Don't assume individuals won't try doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Still clear as mud. I came in to Swampy on a non O multiple entry marriage based visa in January just before the visa expired. I got 90 day permission to stay. That ran out today 10 April. I had intended to go to Savanakhet and apply for a new non O multiple but of course border closed on both sides. So last week I went to Kalasin IO and go a 60 day extension. The emergency amnesty had not been published then.

So I am good to stay until 9 June although I'd actually rather not.

Anyway my flights out and back to France have now been cancelled. So I have to rebook to leave for Europe now.

If this crisis continues in to June, what then?

My current 60 day extension was granted after 26 March. I'm not in a position, even if I wanted a 1 year marriage extension, to raise 400k and anyway for 2 months seasoning that should have been done by today..

Does the amnesty, if still in force - at the moment it's only to 30 April anyway,  apply to me when this extension runs out? If not, what if borders here still closed so I cannot get to Savanakhet  or I cannot get a flight back to France or if it is outrageously  expensive and/;or travel within France to get to my destination there is still very restricted as it is presently

So reading more of the posts before mine. It seems that if the amnesty is continued right in to June I will benefit as I have a current , valid, permission to stay. I need to do nothing now 

until the later of a) the amnesty ends, borders open so I can get to Savanakhet or back to France b) my current permission expires. Right?