NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Still clear as mud. I came in to Swampy on a non O multiple entry marriage based visa in January just before the visa expired. I got 90 day permission to stay. That ran out today 10 April. I had intended to go to Savanakhet and apply for a new non O multiple but of course border closed on both sides. So last week I went to Kalasin IO and go a 60 day extension. The emergency amnesty had not been published then.

So I am good to stay until 9 June although I'd actually rather not.

Anyway my flights out and back to France have now been cancelled. So I have to rebook to leave for Europe now.

If this crisis continues in to June, what then?

My current 60 day extension was granted after 26 March. I'm not in a position, even if I wanted a 1 year marriage extension, to raise 400k and anyway for 2 months seasoning that should have been done by today..

Does the amnesty, if still in force - at the moment it's only to 30 April anyway,  apply to me when this extension runs out? If not, what if borders here still closed so I cannot get to Savanakhet  or I cannot get a flight back to France or if it is outrageously  expensive and/;or travel within France to get to my destination there is still very restricted as it is presently

I'm in a very similar situation except I am one day behind you (my 60 days is up June 10th.

From what I gather, we will be able to extend for another 60 days with the same documents you used on your first extension + letter from embassy.  

Seems the Thai government isn't going to make a blanket extension for all and if they did it would be for a short window.  If I'm not out by une 10 then I am for sure going to do the extension so I have adaquate time 

I had the Embassy letter and  extension on 3rd April. But my 'normal' visa didn't expire until 28th March. 

So yes I have the extension, BUT my normal visa didn't expire until after 26th March. 

So do I need to go to immigration office or not.? 

<deleted> Thais.. Only they could make it so confusing. 

Edited by theVenerable
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, theVenerable said:

I had the Embassy letter and  extension on 3rd April. But my 'normal' visa didn't expire until 28th March. 

So yes I have the extension, BUT my normal visa didn't expire until after 26th March. 

So do I need to go to immigration office or not.? 

<deleted> Thais.. Only they could make it so confusing. 

I think our understanding is that if you have an "under consideration" stamp, then you need to go. But that's still a weak hypothesis, we need to hear feedbacks from more people to confirm if that's a requirement and not an internal miscommunication at the immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, ANDREW999 said:

The main problem is the word VISAS. They should have also said EXTENSIONS. This wide and ambiguous word will bring many problems to some of us that already 2nd extended. And I wonder how cover a person will be against an officer "interpretation". 

The problem is that there does not yet seem to be an English translation of the full text of the Ministerial Announcement of 7 April available yet, only a short English summary on the website of the Immigration Bureau. Is every mention of visa in this English summary really a correct translation of the Thai text for visa (การตรวจลงตรา) on the Ministerial Announcement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

The problem is that there does not yet seem to be an English translation of the full text of the Ministerial Announcement of 7 April available yet, only a short English summary on the website of the Immigration Bureau. Is every mention of visa in this English summary really a correct translation of the Thai text for visa (การตรวจลงตรา) on the Ministerial Announcement?

There is an unofficial translation available at http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/news3-20200410-172909-334229.pdf.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

It was posted in the news section on Wednesday morning when it was received from the translation service.

Here a PDF of it I created. Ministeral Order for Emgency Situation.pdf

On 4/10/2020 at 4:11 AM, uberfarang said:

I think a lot of people interpreted this as "all visas or extensions that expires after March 26" because it makes little sense that they would grant "unlimited" (until the crisis is over) free automatic extensions for those who arrived in February~March but keep charging the rest of us 1900 baths and asking to come to the office once (or even twice) per month. But I guess common sense isn't the immigration's motto.

This is my interpretation. People whose visa expired (I assume permssion to stay because SE visas become invalid as soon as the person enters Thaialand) in March 26 means he entered Thailand either on Feb 27 (for visa exempt entry), or Jan 27 (for SETV and one permitted extension for exempt entry), or at most Dec 27. Any person who had to get an embassy letter must have entered prior to Dec 27 and those people  don't enjoy unlimited extension till the crisis improves becuase they have alredy stayed in Thailand for too long and they will be subjected to Embassy letters.

Edited by Mulambana

7 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Any person who had to get an embassy letter must have entered prior to Dec 27 and those people  don't enjoy unlimited extension till the crisis improves becuase they have alredy stayed in Thailand for too long and they will be subjected to Embassy letters.

They do qualify since they cannot fly out for the country to get a new visa or re-enter to get a new entry. That is the reason given for the ministerial order.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do qualify since they cannot fly out for the country to get a new visa or re-enter to get a new entry. That is the reason given for the ministerial order.

They will qualify if they get the letter from the embassy as the OP mentioned. I'm trying to intreperet based on the logic why they need embassy letter. Most of these people are either perpetual tourists (not that anything is wrong with that) or they wanted to be perpetual tourists as they saw the scenario unfolding but never bothered to leave the country. If I am an IO, I will also ask for embassy letter and intrerpret it the way I mentioned why they need embassy letter.

Edited by Mulambana
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Ps.: The perpetual tourists deserve to do quarantine too, and not risk their health for "national security" reasons

If you remove the the real tourists from of the scene, it is not crowded at all as reported from OP's post. They can easily maintain social distancing and other measures to prevent the spread. Before it was impossible to do that. 

Edited by Mulambana

25 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

If you remove the the real tourists from of the scene, it is not crowded at all as reported from OP's post. They can easily maintain social distancing and other measures to prevent the spread. Before it was impossible to do that. 

In my opinion, there were more cases like mine (in process to change visa, get WP, 90 days report, etc) than "real tourists"; at least in Bangkok. Real, meaning, the ones that really need to go back home. Most of those already left, in one way or another. As citizen of 3 countries, 2 of them in top of the list of covid-19 (Italy and Spain), and one in total closure since a few weeks ago (Argentina), I follow up to date the information provided by 3 embassies. I would say the most stuck ones are the Argentinean ones, and mostly because they are in the islands.

In my opinion, CW and some islands, confirm your affirmation. 

@uberfarang, when you went back with the "under consideration" stamp" what documents did you have to bring and did you have to pay anything for extending till april 29th ? how many days was given for your first extension using embassy letter ? which building did you go - was chaengwattana or impact muang thong ?

2 hours ago, renz said:

@uberfarang, when you went back with the "under consideration" stamp" what documents did you have to bring and did you have to pay anything for extending till april 29th ? how many days was given for your first extension using embassy letter ? which building did you go - was chaengwattana or impact muang thong ?

He will reply I am sure, but from having followed it I believe all he needed was his passport. He didn't have to pay since he already paid when he submitted his emergency covid application. He went to CW counter J because his was from a TV(SE?). Am i correct uber? I think I will need to go to MTT since I got mine from visa exempt stamp.

21 hours ago, uberfarang said:

I think our understanding is that if you have an "under consideration" stamp, then you need to go. But that's still a weak hypothesis, we need to hear feedbacks from more people to confirm if that's a requirement and not an internal miscommunication at the immigration. 

Maybe we are in the same situation or maybe not.
I First arrived in Thailand on 28th January so my 'initial visa' expired on 28th Feb?
Or is my first extension at the visa office dated until 28th March also classed as my 'initial visa'?

How about you? @uberfarang When did you first arrive here and did you also have a normal visa extension from the immigration office, and did it expire after 26th March?

I'm English by the way.. so maybe we have different policies from our Embassies? Or are you English also?

Edited by theVenerable

8 hours ago, renz said:

No document needed, no question asked, no need to pay either, she just took my passport and asked me to wait.

I applied with the embassy letter on March 30, was asked to come back on April 10, only 11 days although they said it was "two weeks" but I guess they expected that Songkran would still be a holiday so they asked me to come before?

It was in Chaengwattana. I went to Muang Thong Thani by mistake 2 weeks ago but they only dealt with VOA and visa exempt there, the SETV are still done at CW and I guess they will shut down MTT now that there are so few people going?

1 hour ago, theVenerable said:

Maybe we are in the same situation or maybe not.
I First arrived in Thailand on 28th January so my 'initial visa' expired on 28th Feb?
Or is my first extension at the visa office dated until 28th March also classed as my 'initial visa'?

How about you? @uberfarang When did you first arrive here and did you also have a normal visa extension from the immigration office, and did it expire after 26th March?

I'm English by the way.. so maybe we have different policies from our Embassies? Or are you English also?

I arrived on January 1st with a 60 days SETV then got the standard 30 days extension. My initial plan was to do a visa run to get my ED visa but borders were starting to shut down at that time so eventually I had to apply to the special extension. So the original permission to stay expired on Feb 29 and was extended to March 30, then I applied to the special extension. So basically by doing the right thing I got penalized, I would have been better off being on overstay, not paying 1900 baths, not going 4 times to the immigration office, not pulling out my hair over this, and receiving the amnesty anyway... easy to say in hindsight though ????

Honestly, it's still not clear to me what date they use to compare with March 26th but I guess if you haven't applied with an embassy letter yet, then you should be fine.

I am French btw, but it seems like all embassies released the same statement that they won't be issuing those letters anymore since there is an "amnesty" now (even if it doesn't cover all cases...)

• Like 2

I had under consiration stamp also! Reason I put my woman to call there! I visit coz they say on phone I need to go to get that new stamp ! And after that its going to be automatic like other farang! Its not cost nothing more. Only need bring passport. Was also fast but that happen in Chiang Khan/Loei! Ok this Only my own thinking but i think they have to get they paperwork forward What is there already!

I arrive Thailand 27 January And take One extension What ended 26 March! They they give me under consiration stamp to 10 April. New stamp And Dont know Why end 22 April but like i say before continue to 30 April automatic !

Edited by 2 is 1
Continue txt
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

those on a 1-year extension based on their Non Imm O

Extensions are issued for certain reasons not the visa used for entry.

All non immigrant visas can be extended. A non-b visa entry can be extended for various reasons (work, teaching and etc) or non-ed for attending school for example.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, uberfarang said:

Honestly, it's still not clear to me what date they use to compare with March 26th but I guess if you haven't applied with an embassy letter yet, then you should be fine.

I did get an embassy letter !  My 20 days runs out on 23rd April then I'm due to get my extra ten days stamp.
so it seems I am in same situation as you.
What a load of bastards they are.
It makes no sense.

Yes, if we overstayed we would qualify, but cos of doing the right thins and getting the extension we are penalized?
What in gods name...

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The 'initial Visa' on which you entered Thailand is irrelevant.

What matters is your present permission to stay, irrespective if that is based on a Visa or an extension.

= = = = =

The amnesty only applies to those who entered and were given a maximum stay of 90 days as per the listed Visa categories who's permission of stay expires after 26th March. 

• VE = 30 days.
  • VOA = 15 days.
  • TV = 60 days.
  • Non O (S or ME) = 90 days.

The above is confirmed by the reference to PhorPhor 15, 30, 60 and 90, in the announcement.

It's useful to add that

- those that already visited IO for the emergency extension, and received an under consideration stamp DO need to visit IO to receive their permission to stay stamp (which would then make them eligible for the automatic amnesty);

- those on a 1-year extension based on their Non Imm O or O-A Visa are NOT eligible for the automatic extension (but if they planned not to re-extend again and cannot leave the country because of the border-closures, they can apply at their local IO for a 30-day exception extension).

No idea what ure talking about.
Initial visa date does matter. the women at immigration told underfarang that's why he cant get automatic extension.

the rest of what your a talking about if far to confusing too.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

No idea what ure talking about.
Initial visa date does matter. the women at immigration told underfarang that's why he cant get automatic extension.

the rest of what your a talking about if far to confusing too.

I was referring in the first paragraph of my response to your original message.

But indeed the Visa category under which you entered Thailand is important, as it determines whether you are eligible for the automatic extension or not.

I should have been more precise and written 'the date on which you entered Thailand on your initial Visa is irrelevant', because it is the date of your present permission to stay that matters (as you might have already extended it). 

The automatic extension of your permission to stay till 30 April (so no need to visit IO) is ONLY for those who entered Thailand and

- on entry were given a permission to stay of 15, 30, 60 or 90 days (depending on their Visa category);

- who's permission to stay expires after 26th March

Edited by Peter Denis

On 4/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, ANDREW999 said:

I do qualify, according to my imm office, and i entered exactly when Mulambana said. Dec 27 with SETV, and first extension expiring on March 26. Did also emergency extension, and came back on under consideration day. Not 'enjoying' since then. That wouldnt be the correct word. I should have changed to non b visa already, but this situation (and specially my passport - Italy) didnt make it possible in March. Im not the kind of living day by day, speding hours and hours reading interpretations about ambiguous information. This is trully a nightmare and some people here try to judge us as some kind of person (read perpetual tourist on last comment) that deserves to attend to imm office every 15 days.

Ps.: The perpetual tourists deserve to do quarantine too, and not risk their health for "national security" reasons

@ANDREW999 Just to say I'm near exact same situation as you. Arrived Dec 27th on 2 month tourist visa, extended 1 month, extended 1 week whilst waiting for letter from British Embassy, and now "under consideration" until 21st April (a worrying non-safe distance of 6hrs in ChonBuri immigration that day...ugh). 

I was in the process of setting up a Thai owned company and was applying for Non-B when it all just shut-down. Without 21 days left on a tourist visa and no way to renew it, and no home to go back to in UK, am now waiting things out here - hovering like a fly I gues....

Hoping to go see a contact any day now about my current Visa situation and work out what's what. I'm thinking if there's one more month extension, may have enough funds to try the Elite visa at that point...certainly saving enough now there's a lockdown and alcohol-ban!

If I have any news of consequence will update

Edited by CodeCoded

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The amnesty only applies to those who entered and were given a maximum stay of 90 days as per the listed Visa categories who's permission of stay expires after 26th March. 

• VE = 30 days.
  • VOA = 15 days.
  • TV = 60 days.
  • Non O (S or ME) = 90 days.

The above is confirmed by the reference to PhorPhor 15, 30, 60 and 90, in the announcement.

This is wrong.

In the announcement they merely list all available options:

- All visas

- Visa on arrival

- P30 (this is the "regular" visa exempt which most people here would get)

- PP14 (14 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

- PP30 (30 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

- PP90 (90 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

So for example a non-oa visa is included under "all visas".

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

- those on a 1-year extension based on their Non Imm O or O-A Visa are NOT eligible for the automatic extension (but if they planned not to re-extend again and cannot leave the country because of the border-closures, they can apply at their local IO for a 30-day exception extension).

I didn't see anything which says that these are not eligable. Where did you get your information from?

Edited by jackdd

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is wrong.

In the announcement they merely list all available options:

- All visas

- Visa on arrival

- P30 (this is the "regular" visa exempt which most people here would get)

- PP14 (14 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

- PP30 (30 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

- PP90 (90 day visa exempt under bilateral agreement)

So for example a non-oa visa is included under "all visas".

It doesn't state 'all Visas'.

Only those listed in the categories, which at most only allow a maximum 90 day entry (short term stays).

• Thanks 1

Seems that the only way to eliminate this confusion would be to have shut down Immigration Bureaus, except airports.

With a note saying that the time lapse between this shutdown and reopening Immigration bureaus would be ignored on calendars.

Going through immigration in airports, just give an exit stamp, without looking at the passports..

Maybe...

• Haha 1