NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure you I will not be the one telling people not to go to immigration to apply for their annual extensions of stay and have them finding out that they have lost their extension and have to start all over again when they go to an office.

The only people that might not need to go to immigration are those on a valid OA, PE (Thai Elite) ands other types of visas that get a one year permit to stay when they enter the country. They certainly do fall into the group affected by the emergency.

Telling people that they have to visit public places (amphoe, bank, immigration office) or they would go into overstay, even though that's not the case, with an ongoing pandemic is ok for you?

Of course you can recommend them to get the extension now (which is what i would recommend as well in most cases), but you should inform people that it's not required. This is especially relevant for somebody who considers himself vulnerable to Covid 19, then these people should know that they can stay at home without going into overstay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The intent was to reduce the crowds at immigration due the high number of people showing up for extensions due to them not being able to leave the country.

The 90 day report being dropped was to further reduce the crowds to do something not related to staying in the country.

Now that the crowds have been reduced it lowers the chance of getting corvid 19 for those doing annual extensions.

Can you explain why the suspension of the need to submit 90-day reports was put under 2. in the order, which supposedly does not apply to anyone who needs to do 90-day reports? Do those not covered by 2. still need to do 90-day reports?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Can you explain why the suspension of the need to submit 90-day reports was put under 2. in the order, which supposedly does not apply to anyone who needs to do 90-day reports? Do those not covered by 2. still need to do 90-day reports?

Because both of them are under "Chapter 4 Temporary Stay in the Kingdom" of the immigration act.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Because both of them are under "Chapter 4 Temporary Stay in the Kingdom" of the immigration act.

So, my question is still, do those not covered by 2. still need to do 90-day reports? Your interpretation is that 2. does not refer to everyone covered under "Temporary Stay in the Kingdom", but only a subset of those granted a permission to stay.

I was wondering if I can just get some clarity regarding my visa situation/auto extension. 

Came in January 18th on 2 month Tourist visa. Then in March I extended 30 days (non-covid regular extension). Now my visa is set to expire April 16th according to stamp. 

This means I get the automatic extension till April 30th correct?

Hope it's fine i posted this here, I didnt want to create another thread for this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

I was wondering if I can just get some clarity regarding my visa situation/auto extension. 

Came in January 18th on 2 month Tourist visa. Then in March I extended 30 days (non-covid regular extension). Now my visa is set to expire April 16th according to stamp. 

This means I get the automatic extension till April 30th correct?

Hope it's fine i posted this here, I didnt want to create another thread for this. 

You are covered under the automatic extension, as you entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa and your (extended) permission to stay is till April 16th, which is after the 26 March criterium date.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You are covered under the automatic extension, as you entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa and your (extended) permission to stay is till April 16th, which is after the 26 March criterium date.

Thanks so much Peter. Thought so but wanted to double check. Much appreciated ???? 

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

So, my question is still, do those not covered by 2. still need to do 90-day reports? Your interpretation is that 2. does not refer to everyone covered under "Temporary Stay in the Kingdom", but only a subset of those granted a permission to stay.

This what 2 states.

2. For an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom according to their type of visa (including Visa on Arrival) and an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom according to their visa exemption privileges (P. 30/PP. 14/ PP. 30/PP. 90) whose specified period of time permitted for stay in the Kingdom expires as from 26 March B.E. 2563 (2020):

Chapter 4 of the immigration act does not mention a visa. IMO they are writing about a permit to stay a granted by a valid visa used to enter the country and as written in the reason for the ministerial order that states this "which affects the entry into or departure from the Kingdom, including the stay in the Kingdom of certain groups of aliens;",

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

According to 

Pol Lt Gen Sompong

persons not covered by section 2 do need to follow the normal immigration rules.

He divided the amnesty into 3 groups.

Residents overseas who could not return.

Tourists who are unable to depart

Visitors from neighbouring countries.

The second group Tourist unable to depart exclude those working or with family in Thailand.

These excluded persons are required to follow normal immigration rules.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

According to 

Pol Lt Gen Sompong

persons not covered by section 2 do need to follow the normal immigration rules.

The second group Tourist unable to depart exclude those working or with family in Thailand.

So people who didn't enter with a tourist visa still have to do 90 day reports, yes?

And people who entered with a tourist visa are now exempt from 90 day reports?

Why no link to the source?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So people who didn't enter with a tourist visa still have to do 90 day reports, yes?

And people who entered with a tourist visa are now exempt from 90 day reports?

Why no link to the source?

thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-immigration-seek-visa-relief-for-stranded-foreigners

6 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-immigration-seek-visa-relief-for-stranded-foreigners

So this was said before the order was published. Looks like they changed some details in the final ministerial order.

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Who cares. And who cares if folk on eg annual extensions perhaps retirement etc can delay their renewal or not.  Who cares why 90 day reports have been deferred.

This thread has been hijacked.

It had simple heading and in main the folk interested (I'm thinking) are not on long term stays. Those that are (me) will 100% obtain the next annual extension at the required time.

Please stop the point scoring. 

The thread has become polluted due to a few.

This thread was about automatic extensions after an extension based on an embassy letter.

By now i think everybody here will agree that people who had such an extension (valid until at least 26th March) will fall under the automatic extensions.

It doesn't look like anybody here still wants to discuss this, so nobody is getting disturbed by the current discussion.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

According to 

Pol Lt Gen Sompong

That's from a blog post made on 6 April 2020 with reference to a press conference where Gen. Sompong taked about what immigration allegedly proposed to the cabinet.

The Ministerial Notification was dated and published in the Royal Gazette on 7 April and supersedes what was said by somebody on 6 April.

11 hours ago, Roger Of Chai Prakan said:

I have had the same experience, at Chiang Mai on 10th April.  Was originally on Non Imm O Marriage visa, which was extended for 60 days from 21 Jan. On trying to extend on 19th March I was told I had to get a Covid 19 Letter from the Brit Embassy (took 6 days incl w/end, by which time I was on Overstay!). I received an "Under Consideration stamp, come back 10th April". On 10th I got a 10 day extension to 20th, but my stamp says "Holder must leave the Kingdom" by 20th. My plan is to request another embassy letter, and submit the full documents for another Covid extension.  Anyone know if I would get another one, and will it also require a trip to C.Mai every 10 days. Thanks. 

By the way, have they considered if so many extensions need to be renewed again on 30th April, what crowds will turn up on that day? Recipe for Covid disaster? 

A post on topic that wasn't noticed. Did the officer explicitly told you to come back on March 20? That's what I was told too (in Bangkok) but others who went to the same office later were told they don't have to come back once the "under consideration" stamp is changed into a "permission of stay". If you do go back on the 20th, would you mind updating us? Btw I think embassies (confirmed for France, UK, etc) stopped issuing those letters so even if you wanted to apply for another covid extension, I don't think that would be possible anymore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

From your report it seems that IO takes the 'sensible approach' because of your VisaExempt entry with a permission to stay till March 30.

And since you meet the amnesty criteria your permission to stay is automatically extended till April 30 (and will probably be prolonged).

Their reasoning will most probably be that it was - on hindsight - not necessary for you to apply for the emergency extension which provided you with the under consideration stamp till April 23.

So given that double IO confirmation and the fact that you meet the amnesty criteria, it is fairly certain that you can ignore the report-back date, as you are already covered under the amnesty.

@vermin on arrival

UPDATE > You called your IO (Chaeng Wattana) and they confirmed that you do not need to come back to have your under consideration stamp transferred into a permission to stay, since you are eligible for the amnesty as your permission to stay expires after 26 March.

So no problem for you.

But those that are in the same situation as OP are advised to contact their IO, as it seems that there are some IOs that DO require that you visit them on the report-back date to have the under consideration stamp transferred into a permission to stay (takes 5 minutes).

See attached link to a post by UbonJoe re this issue >

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159634-30-day-tourist-visa-info-please/?do=findComment&comment=15296899

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

@vermin on arrival

UPDATE > You called your IO (Chaeng Wattana) and they confirmed that you do not need to come back to have your under consideration stamp transferred into a permission to stay, since you are eligible for the amnesty as your permission to stay expires after 26 March.

So no problem for you.

But those that are in the same situation as OP are advised to contact their IO, as it seems that there are some IOs that DO require that you visit them on the report-back date to have the under consideration stamp transferred into a permission to stay (takes 5 minutes).

See attached link to a post by UbonJoe re this issue >

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159634-30-day-tourist-visa-info-please/?do=findComment&comment=15296899

Thanks. I may call and double check with them on Friday or next Monday just to be sure. I have some paranoid anxiety about doing the wrong thing.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Thanks 1

It would be a very risky gamble for those on long-stay extensions to believe that the amnesty announcement also applies for them, and not visiting their IO when their 1-year permission to stay based on their Non Imm O or O-A Visa is due for extension.

That's kind of shallow logic. All manners of foreigners in Thailand are being put in impossible positions. This includes long stay extension holders who rely on income letters from their embassies -- but who can't obtain them because the embassies are closed. Are you saying, "show up anyway, even tho' you can't get your extension?" Ludicrous. Yes, some folks needing extensions, and who qualify because, say, they have the required 3-month deposit in a bank account, are going forward and getting these extensions. Great! Immigration is near empty, thus social distancing; and these long term extenders who do qualify for extension will not add to the crowds showing up once amnesty is lifted. Win win.

My situation is that I need a Consulate affidavit to convert my US marriage certificate into a Thai Kor Ror 22, and thus go the marriage extension route to avoid the Thai medical insurance requirement that I can't meet. But, Consulate closed. So, should I show up anyway at Immigration when my extension expires, knowing I'm wasting my and their time? No. Think I'll just ignore TV and listen to the Embassy reports I get by email, which seem to say I'm covered by amnesty. But if I -- and a sh**t load of others -- are wrong -- don't you think the Thais will make sure the amended amnesty, if that's what needed, does, indeed, cover us-----

Can't seem to lose a lot of sleep over this (although I do have an appointment with the
Elite Visa agent to see if they will do the background check without requiring a subsequent 500K check, should border and Consulate open in time for the cheaper option).

Interesting dialogue. Will be fun to see who wins the gold medal on what it really is the Thais are all about on this amnesty mess....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

My situation is that I need a Consulate affidavit to convert my US marriage certificate into a Thai Kor Ror 22, and thus go the marriage extension route to avoid the Thai medical insurance requirement that I can't meet. But, Consulate closed. So, should I show up anyway at Immigration when my extension expires, knowing I'm wasting my and their time? No. Think I'll just ignore TV and listen to the Embassy reports I get by email, which seem to say I'm covered by amnesty. But if I -- and a sh**t load of others -- are wrong -- don't you think the Thais will make sure the amended amnesty, if that's what needed, does, indeed, cover us-----

When does your current permission of stay end?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

And are you +75 years of age?

Yes, but fortunately my extension is good until Sep 2020. A lot can happen 'til then; but for a backup plan, that's why I'm looking to have the Elite Visa background check proceed -- as long as I'm not obligated to pay the 500k upon its conclusion (just want to have that option in my hip pocket should things not open up).

My argument is for the folks staring extension renewal in the face right now. Except for Yanks, Brits, and Aussies, these folks can still use embassy income statements for their extensions -- except now they can't, because the embassies are closed for such business. Thus my argument that these folks need to be included in the amnesty -- either already, or retrospectively. Even the Thai bureaucrats can distinguish between these folks and Nigerian habitual overstayers --can't they?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yes, but fortunately my extension is good until Sep 2020. A lot can happen 'til then; but for a backup plan, that's why I'm looking to have the Elite Visa background check proceed -- as long as I'm not obligated to pay the 500k upon its conclusion (just want to have that option in my hip pocket should things not open up).

Yes, reason for me asking whether you are over 75 is because from that age on you won;t be able to get the thai IO-approved health-insurance which is mandatory for extending the permission to stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

So that road is closed for you, and with the consulates closed you are presently not able to apply for reason of marriage as you cannot convert your US marriage certificate into a Thai Kor Ror 22.

But your present permission to stay is good until september 2020.  For sure by then there will be options to exit/enter the country, and that will solve your problem as it will allow you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa abroad or in-country.

24 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But your present permission to stay is good until september 2020.  For sure by then there will be options to exit/enter the country, and that will solve your problem as it will allow you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa abroad or in-country.

Right.  I'm lucky to have some time to play with. However, if my extension expired April 30th, I wouldn't have time for the Elite Visa background check, nor, of course, for the Kor Ror 22, nor for a border run. My option: Wave the US Embassy notice that I'm included in the amnesty coverage. If I'm wrong, as some of you conclude, so be it. Actually, if I'm wrong, what do you think would happen?

21 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Right.  I'm lucky to have some time to play with. However, if my extension expired April 30th, I wouldn't have time for the Elite Visa background check, nor, of course, for the Kor Ror 22, nor for a border run. My option: Wave the US Embassy notice that I'm included in the amnesty coverage. If I'm wrong, as some of you conclude, so be it. Actually, if I'm wrong, what do you think would happen?

I don't want to speculate on this hypothetical case, but for sure there would be consequences when going on over-stay without having contacted IO.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

My argument is for the folks staring extension renewal in the face right now. Except for Yanks, Brits, and Aussies, these folks can still use embassy income statements for their extensions -- except now they can't, because the embassies are closed for such business. Thus my argument that these folks need to be included in the amnesty -- either already, or retrospectively. Even the Thai bureaucrats can distinguish between these folks and Nigerian habitual overstayers --can't they?

They can show their proof of income transfers into a Thai bank as an alternative.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

"...can distinguish between these folks and Nigerian habitual overstayers---can't they?"

You type that with pride or ?