Dengue fever an added threat to lives

snoop1130

Dengue fever an added threat to lives

By The Nation

800_728f44e82da2c05.jpg

Dr Asadang Ruayajin

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) is warning people to beware of dengue fever, after rains in several regions of Thailand has resulted in an abundance of mosquitos.

Dr Asadang Ruayajin, DDC’s deputy director general, said that since January 1 to April 7, 8,147 people in the provinces of Ang Thong, Rayong and Phichit have been infected with dengue fever and four have died from the disease so far.

“The number of infections [over 8,000] is very high compared to previous years, so the situation needs to be monitored very carefully,” he said.

In order to circumvent an increase in infections, Asadang urged people to get rid of breeding grounds for mosquito larvae, adding that people can call the 1422 DDC hotline for advice.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385751

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-10
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Imagine someone pulling your energy plug and draining you all at one time...difficulty just getting to the toilet and back to bed...at least 2 weeks of hell on earth...then months to fully recover...that is what one may experience with dengue fever!  

I wouldn't say it was hell on earth for me until the rampant itchiness started. I hear a second dose of it is usually a lot worse though, which is worrying, especially for someone like me with A- blood.

Although we've had no rains yet in my province, I'll be taking this very seriously

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I wouldn't say it was hell on earth for me until the rampant itchiness started. I hear a second dose of it is usually a lot worse though, which is worrying, especially for someone like me with A- blood.

Although we've had no rains yet in my province, I'll be taking this very seriously

I am A- .

I have read that group O is slightly more susceptible to dengue, but severity is not affected by blood group.

Do you have other information?

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Imagine someone pulling your energy plug and draining you all at one time...difficulty just getting to the toilet and back to bed...at least 2 weeks of hell on earth...then months to fully recover...that is what one may experience with dengue fever!  

Terrifying description.

How common is it really?

I tend to avoid mosquitoes, but not religiously. I tend to ignore a few bites if I'm at an outdoor restaurant.

7 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Terrifying description.

How common is it really?

I tend to avoid mosquitoes, but not religiously. I tend to ignore a few bites if I'm at an outdoor restaurant.

Impossible to avoid and it is very common in some areas of the country.  It only take one bite from an infected  mosquito  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Impossible to avoid and it is very common in some areas of the country.  It only take one bite from an infected  mosquito  

Damn, I should probably start slathering myself in repellent. I honestly couldn't deal with getting seriously sick like that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I am A- .

I have read that group O is slightly more susceptible to dengue, but severity is not affected by blood group.

Do you have other information?

I meant more along the lines of receiving blood to increase your red blood cell count. As very few Asians, and westerners to some extent, have rh- blood, it makes for worrying times when your life could depend on it. I'll never forget the doctors face change when I told him I was A-

• Thanks 1

What puchaiyank said. I had dengue badly a few years ago. I got it from one mosquito bite whilst holidaying in bang saen. We stayed one night in a hotel on the beachfront and I got bitten right in the forehead by the mosi.

a few days later I couldn’t walk which continued for three weeks and then on off for several months.

yes it’s bad and I’m now ultra paranoid about mosquitos

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom89 said:

Are those electric mosquito zappers at all effective? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm skeptical.

My considerable experience in many continents is no. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, and other body elements, and the electric ones only use light as an attractant. You will kill a lot of other bugs though. Some models you can buy a pad of chemical attractant, but it is still not effective. The electric tennis racket wand zappers work, but requires you to hunt them down in the house, I keep several lying around in every room of the house for quick access. Citronella, in candles, oils, is questionable, as well as the mosquito coils. If you don't mind poisons, before going to bed, you can nuke your bedroom by spraying insect killer into the air, and close the doors for 30 minutes as they drop to the ground. Good to pack along a can for travelling.

The best defence by far, is personal protection using a skin repellant with the highest percentage content of DEET you can find. Ignore all others. The natural repellant or citronella sprays are useless.

Common practice of removing all standing water in and around the house is a must for preventing larvae growth. Change or get rid of any water in flower vases, flower pots and trays, eavestroughs, floor drains, sink P-traps, buckets, watering cans, containers, bottles, puddles, and ponds. Dumping cooking oil in a pond helps to create a surface barrier stopping the larvae from attaching to the surface. Repeat as necessary as it biodegrades.

6 hours ago, Gold Star said:

My considerable experience in many continents is no. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, and other body elements, and the electric ones only use light as an attractant. You will kill a lot of other bugs though. Some models you can buy a pad of chemical attractant, but it is still not effective. The electric tennis racket wand zappers work, but requires you to hunt them down in the house, I keep several lying around in every room of the house for quick access. Citronella, in candles, oils, is questionable, as well as the mosquito coils. If you don't mind poisons, before going to bed, you can nuke your bedroom by spraying insect killer into the air, and close the doors for 30 minutes as they drop to the ground. Good to pack along a can for travelling.

The best defence by far, is personal protection using a skin repellant with the highest percentage content of DEET you can find. Ignore all others. The natural repellant or citronella sprays are useless.

Common practice of removing all standing water in and around the house is a must for preventing larvae growth. Change or get rid of any water in flower vases, flower pots and trays, eavestroughs, floor drains, sink P-traps, buckets, watering cans, containers, bottles, puddles, and ponds. Dumping cooking oil in a pond helps to create a surface barrier stopping the larvae from attaching to the surface. Repeat as necessary as it biodegrades.

@Gold Star Thanks for the feedback. I kind of expected something along those lines.