BANGKOK
snoop1130

Dengue fever an added threat to lives

3 hours ago, Tom89 said:

Are those electric mosquito zappers at all effective? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm skeptical.

My considerable experience in many continents is no. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, and other body elements, and the electric ones only use light as an attractant. You will kill a lot of other bugs though. Some models you can buy a pad of chemical attractant, but it is still not effective. The electric tennis racket wand zappers work, but requires you to hunt them down in the house, I keep several lying around in every room of the house for quick access. Citronella, in candles, oils, is questionable, as well as the mosquito coils. If you don't mind poisons, before going to bed, you can nuke your bedroom by spraying insect killer into the air, and close the doors for 30 minutes as they drop to the ground. Good to pack along a can for travelling.

The best defence by far, is personal protection using a skin repellant with the highest percentage content of DEET you can find. Ignore all others. The natural repellant or citronella sprays are useless.

Common practice of removing all standing water in and around the house is a must for preventing larvae growth. Change or get rid of any water in flower vases, flower pots and trays, eavestroughs, floor drains, sink P-traps, buckets, watering cans, containers, bottles, puddles, and ponds. Dumping cooking oil in a pond helps to create a surface barrier stopping the larvae from attaching to the surface. Repeat as necessary as it biodegrades.

6 hours ago, Gold Star said:

My considerable experience in many continents is no. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, and other body elements, and the electric ones only use light as an attractant. You will kill a lot of other bugs though. Some models you can buy a pad of chemical attractant, but it is still not effective. The electric tennis racket wand zappers work, but requires you to hunt them down in the house, I keep several lying around in every room of the house for quick access. Citronella, in candles, oils, is questionable, as well as the mosquito coils. If you don't mind poisons, before going to bed, you can nuke your bedroom by spraying insect killer into the air, and close the doors for 30 minutes as they drop to the ground. Good to pack along a can for travelling.

The best defence by far, is personal protection using a skin repellant with the highest percentage content of DEET you can find. Ignore all others. The natural repellant or citronella sprays are useless.

Common practice of removing all standing water in and around the house is a must for preventing larvae growth. Change or get rid of any water in flower vases, flower pots and trays, eavestroughs, floor drains, sink P-traps, buckets, watering cans, containers, bottles, puddles, and ponds. Dumping cooking oil in a pond helps to create a surface barrier stopping the larvae from attaching to the surface. Repeat as necessary as it biodegrades.

@Gold Star Thanks for the feedback. I kind of expected something along those lines.