Issues with Neighbours | Parameter Wall Advice.

This seems to be a well versed point of discussion on the soy, a overly painful neighbour to deal with that seems to annoy everyone I've spoken to over the years, I usually ignore and allow the wife to deal with, but today I vented my anger and disdain and blew up, mainly because the guy was hanging over our garden wall, coughing and telling me in French what i could and could not do.

The neighbour owns a garage, this garage is beside our land, it was meant to be public road land, but the neighbour was fortunate to buy it of the land owner way back when before it was declared as part of the public land when she sold land-plots on the road (its, usual, for example i own a chunk of land and i have to accommodate for roads when subdividing and selling), his garage is off the main soy (2 lane) into i guess our private soy (2 lane), from the front of our property back, we have a wall, where it meets his garage, the wall at this point is inverted, i.e the rest of our walls show flat rendered surface externally, but at this point we are looking at a flat surface internally, this continues to the back of our garden.

His garage has a tiled roof, with gutters that come down over the wall directly (overhangs) and in some cases over our garden, and this disputed wall, which we believe to be ours..

At the back we had a pump room built, we've since built the 'tree-house' which on top of that sits the solar array.

Today i was fitting a cosmetic bbq, and he was snooping over the full height wall, and as usual, his thai wife and himself started arguing (speaking with my staff).

I told them clearly, they were trespassing on my land (keep sticking their heads over the wall), the wall belonged to me, the building and the construction was allowed, and the bbq was allowed, and if they had issues then we should settle it with the police, and then court.

If they continued i'd have the wall extended (height) and they'd have to rebuild their garage.

They kept on and on and continues (foreigner) to stick his head over the wall looking into the garden, and the wife continues to be a pain, my wife is of the same mind set as me -- 'too rude to put in text', and when she returns from the daily foraging 'deals with them'.

But this brings up a question: 

• The pool room is below the height of the wall, or just around the same height (within a foot), this is directly against the wall, and is legal as i understand, the solar-treehouse above that is a foot away from the wall at the very least.

• The chanute is a straight line, so they've built their garage overhang over the wall and the wall would follow our other wall and be ours (the prior owner even told me directly the wall was owned by him (me), but i never considered it at the time).

How would you handle this? 

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 20.14.20.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 20.10.46.png

hqdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Give him a big French kiss with your fist.

Unfortunately he is about 70, though active.

Coughing today, i did consider calling the corona helpline, but then i'd never forgive myself if they carted him off forcefully from his home and he died. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, timendres said:

"SATAN" - I love it.

Install a webcam pointed right at the wall where he likes to pop his head up. Create a live webcam YouTube channel. Make it funny with subtitles. Monetize it.

Oh, we have CCTV. Him and his wife forced their way into our home to view the streams and inform us of the adjustments they wanted, sometime last year.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Ask the Land Office to adjudicate.

IME boundary walls are sometimes shared 50/50.

Did consider this, I'm all for taking to court even, but it's draining, (energy).

The land office would likely go along with the chanute which should surely factor in the long-standing existing parameter walls. 

On 4/11/2020 at 1:47 AM, Jenkins9039 said:

Oh, we have CCTV. Him and his wife forced their way into our home to view the streams and inform us of the adjustments they wanted, sometime last year.

I had problems in Australia with a neighbour so became quite interested in your topic and tried to imagine the scenario in my mind.

But when I read you said a 70 year old man forced his way into your house and made you make adjustments to security cams/video...........

• Like 1

I would have thought that the Land Office (for 5000 Baht) could give you a final determination of any boundary in dispute.

Having said this, it might not necessarily be in your interests because the Land Office will usually seek agreement between the various land owners when they fix the boundaries. If your neighbour (and his wife) want to dispute the outcome, or otherwise make problems for you, this is the time for them to call in any favours they believe they may have with officialdom.

Maybe the first option is not to force the issue at this point, but to build a secondary lattice structure along the offending boundary to keep them out.

Out of sight, out of mind (hopefully).

• Like 1

Their are Bluetooth speakers available with motion censers, the one i saw had some built in noises for Halloween (screaming) also takes a memory card so you could record anything you like, "FRACK OFF !" would be a good one when they stick their heads over :cheesy:. Water from his roof is a definite no no, and to the best of my knowledge building must be 2 mt away from boundary, not including roof overhang.

• Like 1

Do you have enough space to plant bougainvillea and train it to grow along the wall?  No neighbor is going to try and push through vines with 2" thorns on them.  The thorns even cause contact dermatitis!

My dad had a home with bougainvillea growing alongside two side fences and I had to help trim it down.  Those thorns went right through leather gloves and clothing, I'm sure they'd puncture an annoying Frenchman as well!

• Like 2

There is a limit on how high you can legally build a boundary wall. 

The Land office is a waste of time. before we built our house we had the Land Office come round and oficially check all the boundaries ( they cemented in official concrete boundary posts ( small cylindrical posts with an official cement seal )  It was found ALL our neighbours had encroached on the road and gained 1 - 2 metres of extra land which wasn't theirs. The land office admitted they would do nothing about it.

My advice is to put a small electric cattle fence on top of the wall. NOT a Thai style electric fence conected to the mains, but just a low voltage pulse fence that would give him a kick if he touched it.  

• Like 1

If "your" wall is built on the property line and then he bought the adjacent "plot" then he owns half and you own half. If the wall was built back from your plot line then it is yours. 

You can legally attach a privacy screen to your side of the wall. 

Local ordinances usually limit walls to between 2.8m and 3m, in extreme case 2.5m. 

Go to the tambon office and ask about wall heights, they might even come and have a look. 

Edit: His garage roof is a potential security hazard to your property. Just sayin....

So needs an electric fence.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 4/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, VocalNeal said:

If "your" wall is built on the property line and then he bought the adjacent "plot" then he owns half and you own half. If the wall was built back from your plot line then it is yours. 

You can legally attach a privacy screen to your side of the wall. 

Local ordinances usually limit walls to between 2.8m and 3m, in extreme case 2.5m. 

Go to the tambon office and ask about wall heights, they might even come and have a look. 

Edit: His garage roof is a potential security hazard to your property. Just sayin....

So needs an electric fence.

Chanute has a line from front to back, the section of wall that is an issue, has been built inverted (the main wall is rendered flat external, when it arrives at this point it inverts to render flat internally). 

At the far end (road end) there is a metal marker on-top of the wall, at the far end (disputed wall) there is a metal marker on-top of the wall, in addition he raised his wall which connects with this wall by 3 blocks (rendered) but did not raise where the metal marker is, stopping just short of it.

I find concern with a few things.

:- Garage roof / guttering is directly overhead the wall.
:- The wall is inverted loosing me a block space where i have the rendered flat side, he has gained a block space where he has the inverted side.
:- This seemingly gives him the idea the wall belongs to him.

:- during the last head-banging event, he claimed he bought the land with the wall already in place, this may very well be true, but would mean his ownership is directly the other-side of the wall, and he would in my opinion and is standard, have to erect a wall his side, in addition his roof should only come to within 15cm's of that newly erected wall.

The guy and his wife, has <deleted> us off so much, we considered selling, we've also considering buying a plot connecting to ours just so we can use another road to get into the compound and not have to deal with them, but this still leaves a few issues.

:- We are loosing a very minor amount of real estate which causes problems for the next purchaser if it is not resolved.

:- We have 0 privacy where he walks between his garage wall (15cm) and the disputed territorial wall, and is able to directly gaze into the garden, this puts us off using the pool, or even sunbathing, just last week he was standing there for 20 minutes listening to the wife and neighbour who was over, gossiping.

Ideally the way to resolve it, is to knock the wall down, rebuild it, claiming back the lost minor land, whilst building up to just below his gutters, he can have that victory, but at least there is then a sense of privacy and we no longer need to deal with, and if we sell, the next chump hasn't got to deal with him (or her?).

On 4/13/2020 at 9:13 AM, Iron Tongue said:

Do you have enough space to plant bougainvillea and train it to grow along the wall?  No neighbor is going to try and push through vines with 2" thorns on them.  The thorns even cause contact dermatitis!

My dad had a home with bougainvillea growing alongside two side fences and I had to help trim it down.  Those thorns went right through leather gloves and clothing, I'm sure they'd puncture an annoying Frenchman as well!

Unfortunately this would not go well with the land use there (small vegetable patch), also i've spent 4 yrs eradicating the buggers that were at the front.

14 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

he claimed he bought the land with the wall already in place,

That is as maybe but it doesn't mean the wall is 100% on his land. You can still erect a privacy screen bolted to your side of the wall. 

If you are happy in general with the location and the house. Just build your own new high wall inside his and he can keep his precious wall. Then all his garage roof water will go his side of your new wall. Don't render the outside just leave it ugly block. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:46 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

Unfortunately he is about 70, though active.

Coughing today, i did consider calling the corona helpline, but then i'd never forgive myself if they carted him off forcefully from his home and he died. 

C'mon now, you know you secretly desire this. :thumbsup:

Didn't think building was allowed within a metre of common perimeter walls? I would be chasing this up with the land office. That ain't right. If nothing is forthcoming, just extend it. F them.