Phuket: Showing kindness in a crisis - Thai helps foreigners in virus distress

rooster59

20 minutes ago, Genmai said:

As long as royalty is left alone and the remarks aren't personally disparaging everyone has the freedom to criticize. There's no restrictions on calling out racist remarks or attitudes or incitement to violence. That never seems to happen when farangs are taking a beating. Could that be because most Thai's don't care? ????

Can't really say as it's possible it might be misconstrued.Cryptic I know but I can't do better than that.I think you can say what you like as long as you don't have too many agreeing with you as you would have notice when too many start agreeing with you then the restrictions begin to be applied. 

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Yes you have hit the nail on the head.

I was lucky enough to speak to Neil Armstrong once. He leaned across conspiratorially and told me that he never even knew the way to the moon. He thought he was popping out to get some Gold Top.

Rooster

Well he got Blue Moonies instead which have the same effect.

Not sure I buy the story of the poor farlang but certainly helping poorer folk in these times is a good thing!

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Can't really say as it's possible it might be misconstrued.Cryptic I know but I can't do better than that.I think you can say what you like as long as you don't have too many agreeing with you as you would have notice when too many start agreeing with you then the restrictions begin to be applied. 

FREE THE HERB!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Not sure I buy the story of the poor farlang but certainly helping poorer folk in these times is a good thing!

FREE THE HERB!!!

I can assure you if I didn't put the breaks on I would be the guy holding the sign in Sukhumvit Rd.

Revitalise the economy and FREE THE HERB!And bloody well hurry up as it assists with social isolation.It's a matter of national health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I can assure you if I didn't put the breaks on I would be the guy holding the sign in Sukhumvit Rd.

Revitalise the economy and FREE THE HERB!And bloody well hurry up as it assists with social isolation.It's a matter of national health.

I am with you all the way brother! I won't go into details but I have options which make my herb free pain a true nightmare!  

3 hours ago, Genmai said:

How about a certain FB page with 600,000 followers calling for Phuket locals to gather up slingshots and shoot rocks at whitey's head? Can we criticize that? Or how about the fact that that page isn't on Thai news but this feelgood "All-Thais-Are-Angels" story is?

A genuine good-hearted gesture? Sure, if it's real. But you can't deny this stinks of a damage control PR campaign. C'mon, think of the bigger picture here. A 600,000 strong FB Phuket-based page of racists getting some public attention, and then suddenly- boom - like clockwork, a feel-good article about the kindness of Phuket people? No. It's no different to stories of honest taxi drivers turning in bags of diamonds and cash that get published like clockwork after another story of condemnation.

Edit: I'll also add that the ThaiVisa article about that FB page in question is no longer available. Make of that what you will!

bash bash bash

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genmai said:

As long as (snip) is left alone and the remarks aren't personally disparaging everyone has the freedom to criticize. There's no restrictions on calling out racist remarks or attitudes or incitement to violence. That never seems to happen when farangs are taking a beating. Could that be because most Thai's don't care? ????

It seems they don't have the freedom to criticise.

3 hours ago, Genmai said:

How about a certain FB page with 600,000 followers calling for Phuket locals to gather up slingshots and shoot rocks at whitey's head? Can we criticize that? Or how about the fact that that page isn't on Thai news but this feelgood "All-Thais-Are-Angels" story is?

A genuine good-hearted gesture? Sure, if it's real. But you can't deny this stinks of a damage control PR campaign. C'mon, think of the bigger picture here. A 600,000 strong FB Phuket-based page of racists getting some public attention, and then suddenly- boom - like clockwork, a feel-good article about the kindness of Phuket people? No. It's no different to stories of honest taxi drivers turning in bags of diamonds and cash that get published like clockwork after another story of condemnation.

Edit: I'll also add that the ThaiVisa article about that FB page in question is no longer available. Make of that what you will!

+1 ????????????????????????????????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Now heres a thought, what about all members on here now they are saving money not buying beer, dipping their pockets, and giving some poor Thai people a bit of food, you know just like the Thai man did for farangs.

I did that, milled about 12-14 kilos of rice, wife handed out to a few poor people.

Come on you lot, get up of your backsides and do your bit, help poor folk.

We are doing exactly that - started off with one day giving out 400 meals - now two days a week - probably a 1000+ meals - all from a restaurant in Jomtien. The bars are all doing similar things. 
The contributions from expats, Thais and people around the world has been heartwarming.

Pattaya has many organisations looking after the welfare , education of the families in slums etc I’ve given a fair bit - so actually there are many who care . 
well said . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1