Phuket: Showing kindness in a crisis - Thai helps foreigners in virus distress

rooster59

9 hours ago, Genmai said:

If a gang of angry locals with slingshots come round your house today, are your amazing friendly Thai neighbors who've only ever treated you with "kindness and respect" going to stand up and defend you? 

But a gang is not going to attack me and never will, and I do love it here, and why dont you find a new hobby and you rain on everyone' parade.

We get it... you hate Thai and hate the country and feel unloved when you VISIT....so dont. And why post here.... you hate this place.

• Like 2

The first thing I noticed about this story is that the good samaritan, and farang lover, Kittikhun Bunrakworakun, posted the pictures and told the story on social media himself. Usually these stories of altruism are recorded and posted by someone else, and the person that has performed the act of kindness, fades away, shunning any publicity.

Not our Kitti, he had someone take a photo of him and his delicious omelette so that HE could post it on social media along with his story.

So, are the 3 people in the photo the people he supposedly fed, and if so, why not a quick word with them and a nod of appreciation from them.

Secondly, with millions of Thai people living in poverty, with no state pension or welfare support system, unless they have had a government job, why was he not giving free food to needy Thai’s, rather than foreigners that must either have money, or if not, can have funds transferred to them here within 24 hours. They should hang their heads in shame, in the unlikely event that this story is true.

The Covid-19 Virus has been common knowledge in Thailand since the first case was recorded on 13th January, even if it took a couple more weeks to be taken seriously. How can any foreigner that does not reside here, still be here claiming they can't leave in April and are “Hank Marvin”     ¯\_()_/¯

I have lived here for 5 years and love the country, the people and the culture. Nearly all the Thai people I know are warm, kind, considerate and compassionate people …. but Kitti’s little tale is fodder for the incurious and gullible. Phuket reputation damage limitation stunts know no bounds

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

But a gang is not going to attack me and never will, and I do love it here, and why dont you find a new hobby and you rain on everyone' parade.

We get it... you hate Thai and hate the country and feel unloved when you VISIT....so dont. And why post here.... you hate this place.

You seem to have huge problem with reading what other people write, either that, or you have some pathological inability to understand; so you consequently substitute what someone has said in your own mind, with what you wish, or hoped they had said, in order for you to make the angry reply that seems to be your default response.

You said:   

“We get it... you hate Thai and hate the country and feel unloved when you VISIT....so dont. And why post here.... you hate this place”

You said this in response to a comment in which the poster said no such thing.

I don't know if you have some personal issue with the person you are responding to, but your continual insistence on claiming people to have said things that they clearly have not, is starting to dismantle any little credibility you started out with.

I also notice that when challenged to respond in an intellectual manner, you simply post an emoji …… nuff said

¯\_()_/¯

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Genmai said:

How about a certain FB page with 600,000 followers calling for Phuket locals to gather up slingshots and shoot rocks at whitey's head? Can we criticize that? Or how about the fact that that page isn't on Thai news but this feelgood "All-Thais-Are-Angels" story is?

A genuine good-hearted gesture? Sure, if it's real. But you can't deny this stinks of a damage control PR campaign. C'mon, think of the bigger picture here. A 600,000 strong FB Phuket-based page of racists getting some public attention, and then suddenly- boom - like clockwork, a feel-good article about the kindness of Phuket people? No. It's no different to stories of honest taxi drivers turning in bags of diamonds and cash that get published like clockwork after another story of condemnation.

Edit: I'll also add that the ThaiVisa article about that FB page in question is no longer available. Make of that what you will!

It reminds me of the Robin Hood scene in Time Bandits. 
Metaphorically, it's easy to figure out who is who.

I am seeing Russians here in Pattaya lining up for free food. 

Why? 

The banks are not shut. 

Why not send some Rubles to Thailand. 

Western Union 

Atm's are all working. 

No need to be taking free food, leave it for the Thais. 

These poor Thai people have nothing. 

Someone please reply with a logical explanation, I can't accept this poor behavior. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, herwin1234 said:

1. There are no aliens.

2. Um, you just did. On the internet brag about yourself how "often" you buy food and help the homeless. I am sure you tell your "good deeds" to your farang familyfriends etc.

Thai ppl post on Facebook not to "brag" about it but simply to encourage other ppl to also help.

There is nothing wrong with that. Its actually good.

I don't personally think anyone needs to inform anybody of any help they give to anyone else, but your view is truly bizarre.

By your reckoning, if a Thai person posts online about giving food to a farang (who should not need handouts under any circumstances) they are only doing so to encourage other people to also offer this totally unnecessary help.

However, if a farang posts about helping poverty stricken Thai people (who definitely need this help) they are simply bragging and not trying to encourage other people to help ……..

hmmmmmm

On 4/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, michaellee said:

Damn you do, damn you don’t. What is wrong with you? I don’t see you being generous in helping other expats. Such a negative, narrow minded attitude. 

Attitude has nothing to do with the truth lol.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:07 PM, Tropposurfer said:

I hope it's for real .... But, part of me agrees with your response to the initial 'nice post'.

I'll use this moment to whinge about:

Price gouging prominent restaurant in Surin/Bang Tao, not far from the corner Orange service station on Srisoonthorn Road charged me 200 baht for a duck broth (1 drumstick - no noodles or kaow niao). Got diddled a week or so back ... got home before realising the change didn't add up!  Went back the next evening and spoke to the boss lady but was simply ignored.

Politely and calmly told her I would not return and tell and post online for others not to go to her restaurant and takeout! Fat lot of good that will do ... haha. 

There's a religious bigot/racist roti seller cart across the road too by the way who made me wait 20 minutes while he served about 10 others who arrived after me.  I'm not a nasty looking, dressed or behaving dude either and always speak respectfully and in not too bad Thai to avery Thai I interact with.

Sadly Genmai I tend to see more of what you speak of now in Thai society than the old days (1980's for me) where everyone bar a few rare exceptions would invite you in off the street, feed you, adopt you there and then if you so much as said hello.

You hoped your young  Thai girl loved you even without money to. It's heart warming