He is glad he is back,wasnt the dream!

On 4/11/2020 at 9:26 PM, timendres said:

I think for many folks, especially those who have a solid life set up back home, and have reasonable flights into Thailand, a "best of both worlds" approach is better. Continue life at home, but spend several months in Thailand enjoying what it has to offer.

That's what I find.I am sorry I can't return to Thailand ATM though.I'd planned on  coming

April 20th for 3 months

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:08 PM, georgegeorgia said:

He rented a studio room

Now, I often wondered how people can live in a room. Lots of people do it, not for me.

I can understand why he moved back, I would have done the same.......... poor planning.

I have always owned a house, bought my first at 22yo. As soon as I moved here in 2002 I found a housing development, bought of the plan, built 2003 and been living here with my family ever since. 

At 65 its an age that I would imagine find difficult to adjust, he's probably mis-managed the whole process, it's not simple, a lot of thought and planning involved. Sounds like an expensive lesson

I have been working offshore on rotation over the years so I've been very fortunate.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:19 AM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

He s&ould have ranted on high floor with sliding door to balcony. He have nothing to complain about for sure.

????????????

Agreed..my 24 floor cnr unit has fantastic views and good breeze 85% of time.dont need aircond.

Power 400thb month

As I have mentioned on other threads, we are all different; different likes/dislikes, different needs etc. Dreams just come true...only in the movies. In reality you have to work at it and most times accepting only a partial success.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:44 PM, bkk6060 said:

What a strange bit of information and fellow your friend seems.

So, he lived in Sydney one of the most expensive cities in the world in a 2 bedroom apartment then came here and lived in a 21 sq mtr. box?  Makes no sense at all why did he do that?  Seems he could well afford a much more spacious place with a nice ocean view in a quality building here.

Sure he got bored.  Why didn't he get out and try to make friends plenty of Aus. hangouts in Pattaya.

For me it has been a great retirement and I never have regretted it.  Cost of living and housing 1/5 of what I would pay, plenty of golf courses at reasonable prices, young sexy girls, made lots of friends meet for breakfast and watch sports, go to the gym, travel frequently to neighboring countries for a week or so with friends, a girl or even alone. No place is perfect but I have certainly enjoyed myself here.

But geez,  your friend just sat around in his box for 18 months no wonder he had issues.

Well summarised.

I came to pattaya from Auckland,also a very expensive place to live.

I looked at many areas inthailand,before deciding on pattaya.

I have no regrets,if i need change of scenery,i can do return flights to many other countries ,for under $200.

Dont ever cut all ties with home country.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, kingdong said:

Especially at current exchange rates western currencies have almost halved against the baht in the last 15years.

It's been great, I've just transferred a few baht to Aust in the past month, cleaned up! Dee Money even offered me free insurance! :thumbsup: 

Edited by PatOngo

On 4/11/2020 at 6:46 PM, Gweiloman said:

He’s lucky that he can afford (financially) to return. I suspect a lot of expats here would like to do the same but doesn’t have the funds to do so. 

Those sorts of people should never come here in the first place.nowonder immigration is insisting on 100k us insurance.

People with no money in retirement,never get my sympathy.

• Sad 1