Do they eat dogs?

jimmybcool

OK I know it is a weird subject line.  Bear with me.  On another forum unrelated to this a poster is insisting that Thais he knows in the US admit to eating dogs in Thailand.  Yes, I have asked if maybe he was talking to Koerans.  My experience is based on visiting Thailand for about 6 months a year for the last 20 years.  In all that time I have never met a thai that admitted eating dog.  And yes, I have teased them sometimes about what they eat like bugs and the like.  Many from Isaan are matter of fact about eating snakes and bugs and everything that moves in the jungles.  But never dog.

I'm OK admitting I am wrong but wouldn't like the Thais to be saddled with this misinformation if in fact they do not eat dogs.  Let me know your knowledge.  

my girlfriend says some people used to eat dog in samut prakan province.  dog meat was sold at the market in tarae city.  government shut it down about ten years ago.

she says despite the law, there are (her words) "crazy people" there that still eat dog.

Same as you 

13 years in Thailand , 11 married to a lovely Thai lady.

Never met or met anyone who directly knows of anyone that eats dogs in Thailand. I heard of people eating dogs in Laos but that's the extent of it. And I don't think you will find anyone with direct knowledge in this forum . All you will get is rumors. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, faraday said:

Rats, but not dogs.

Maybe so, but aren't there more than a few Thai's involved with smuggling live dogs over the border/s for consumption?

• Like 1

We lived in Sa Kaeo 2010-11 and weekly this dog pickup truck would pass through collecting stray dogs.

Never knew where they went, just 'away'. Either northwards, or east across the border to Cambodia I don't know.

Understand collections stopped soon after 2011.

tumblr_lx0nq69k9L1r98m1bo1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

I would imagine that, in very poor regions, people will eat anything. However, the connotation that dog is part of Thai cuisine is false. 

They don't eat it cause they're poor, it costs money. My old lady was cooking dinner one night, same as always, a bunch of food for everyone. I come outside and there's the MIL's boyfriend skinning a couple rats.

Lets see prawns and squid or some tasty rat. Same with dog, Isaan is part of Thailand.

Songkran last year wife and I were being driven from Bangkok to the village near Phon Phisai by her sister and husband.
I (think) we stayed with his family at Nakhon Ratchasima, it was Nakhon Nowhere anyway ! ????

So, the next day we loaded up and headed off on mostly backroads to dodge the horrendous traffic and we went through an area where there were Roadside stalls with what sort of looked like Butterflied chicken hanging up... my hosts were sort of excited and my wife told me dog/maa !!
they looked sort of Pomeranian sized...

we didn’t stop, so I can’t offer anything more than that.

Mum used to send my wife off to school with bbq rat until she rebelled.

My first breakfast mum cooked me was a rice dish with some sort of mince and all these tiny, sharp shards of bone... frog !

Told the wife to fillet the frog next time... ????????

The question doesnt make much sense, "Do they, (all Thais collectively), eat dogs" ?, As a nation, No, its not on the menu at sizzler but probably consumed somewhere in Thailand. Be it cultural or out of necessity.

"Do some people in Thailand eat dogs in Thailand" would probably be a more relevant question, and the answer would be yes, somewhere they do. Given that neighbouring countries eat dog meat, why would the practice stop at the border.

There was a story in the newspaper in Pattaya a couple of years ago where some guys at a condo builders camp were having a Sunday afternoon K9 BBQ, and the police came and shut it down. There were quotes from the condo builders "we didn't know it wasn't allowed" etc.

My wife still thinks its absolutely barbaric that we eat Lamb, for her they are cute little animals that you pat at the zoo, not to be eaten. she literally throws up if we visit friends in Australia and there is Lamb being cooked.

• Like 1

yes there are places in Thailand where you can eat dog.  99.9%, since i didn't test it.  

in America, it wasn't long ago you could buy shark fins.  then it got banned.

other countries, dogs as well.

that's why never have them as pets, because then you might not want to eat them.    ?????????????? 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

They don't eat it cause they're poor, it costs money. My old lady was cooking dinner one night, same as always, a bunch of food for everyone. I come outside and there's the MIL's boyfriend skinning a couple rats.

Lets see prawns and squid or some tasty rat. Same with dog, Isaan is part of Thailand.

Not talking marketed dogs. 

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

We lived in Sa Kaeo 2010-11 and weekly this dog pickup truck would pass through collecting stray dogs.

Never knew where they went, just 'away'. Either northwards, or east across the border to Cambodia I don't know.

Understand collections stopped soon after 2011.

tumblr_lx0nq69k9L1r98m1bo1_1280.jpg

Great picture! 

My wife comes from a village between KK and Udon, about 3 hours from Laos border - She has a similar story, the dog truck used to pass through once a week, they would take a dog and in return you would receive a bucket of "louk chin". I guess like rat hunting, if a stray dog wanders into the village it was fair game. 

When you don't have the proverbial pot then meat is meat wether its a dog ball or steak. 

• Like 1