Do they eat dogs?

jimmybcool

2 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I ate a dog in Thailand on several occasions. Usually grilled meat or cooked livers. It's not a thing that would be sold on the markets. But it's easy to get here in Isaan.

Are you short of a few quid...?  ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

We lived in Sa Kaeo 2010-11 and weekly this dog pickup truck would pass through collecting stray dogs.

Never knew where they went, just 'away'. Either northwards, or east across the border to Cambodia I don't know.

Understand collections stopped soon after 2011.

tumblr_lx0nq69k9L1r98m1bo1_1280.jpg

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-to-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

People should be free to eat whatever they want. I like beef, so why should question the right of others to like dog. Now, it is probably safer to eat herbivorous animals as is limits the virus' opportunity to jump from one species to another.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Same as you 

13 years in Thailand , 11 married to a lovely Thai lady.

Never met or met anyone who directly knows of anyone that eats dogs in Thailand. I heard of people eating dogs in Laos but that's the extent of it. And I don't think you will find anyone with direct knowledge in this forum . All you will get is rumors. 

Yes they eat dog.I live in Sakon Nakhon and we have restaurants that do have dog on the menu.

At least they used to have.When we get to many soi dogs in the streets we also have phone-number to call and a big truck come and collect.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Better to ask Thai people question about thailand.

Many low knowledge people just imagine the answer. Stupid.

99% Thai people think eat dog is terrible, like a rabbit etc. is a pet, not food.

SOME people in Sakon Nakorn province, Issan, eat dog. Everyone in thailand know about that. Is on the news. 

Sakon Nakorn province have many Vietnam blood people, since long time. It come from that.

MOST people in Sakon Nakorn do NOT eat dog. 

SO 10% people in 1/77 province. 

Not much

Where do you get off?

Most Thais know nothing about other regions of their country other than what they see on the endless junk travel shows on TV.

Yes, you can read about the village in Sakhon Nakhon that I descended from Vietnamese people in a lonely planet guidebook, but the reality is, it's available all over the villages over Issan. 

It's just general village life to eat whatever you can lay your hands on, wether you forage bamboo shoots to make a soup, scour the rice field for land crabs, farm some insects, steal a chicken or use you catapult to catch a rat.

As you say, some people do, some people don't .. Maybe it's that local people may be the best people to ask, but maybe you aren't the best person to ask, heh?

I have read a few of your posts, There are better ways to put your point than rubbishing others first hand knowledge gathered from experience.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

my wealthy friends in Sri Lanka would never touch prawns or lobster... they were told they were dirty bottom feeders and not good 

Fancy someone calling your wealthy friends 'dirty bottom feeders and not good'. 

What's the world coming to!

????

51 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Yes they eat dog.I live in Sakon Nakhon and we have restaurants that do have dog on the menu.

At least they used to have.When we get to many soi dogs in the streets we also have phone-number to call and a big truck come and collect.

Do they serve collie- flower with the meat?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I have read a few of your posts, There are better ways to put your point than rubbishing others first hand knowledge gathered from experience.

Yinn is allowed to express her opinion, like every other poster here.

She has however the wrong attitude to present it in a way as if she is the representative of the Thai people.

She is in no way.

5 hours ago, faraday said:
5 hours ago, Martin Spence said:

They eat dog and rats in isann

Rats, but not dogs.

Aren't sweeping generalizations fun?

A species of field rodent is popular bush meat in parts of rural Isaan. They don't 'eat rats in Issan'.

A few, localised communities in Sakon Nakhon eat dog meat. They don't 'eat dogs in Isaan'.

Thanks for your attention.

59 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Where do you get off?

Most Thais know nothing about other regions of their country other than what they see on the endless junk travel shows on TV.

Yes, you can read about the village in Sakhon Nakhon that I descended from Vietnamese people in a lonely planet guidebook, but the reality is, it's available all over the villages over Issan. 

It's just general village life to eat whatever you can lay your hands on, wether you forage bamboo shoots to make a soup, scour the rice field for land crabs, farm some insects, steal a chicken or use you catapult to catch a rat.

As you say, some people do, some people don't .. Maybe it's that local people may be the best people to ask, but maybe you aren't the best person to ask, heh?

That MUST qualify for the longest 'falang lue-mahk' post of the day award, no?

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:
1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Yinn is allowed to express her opinion, like every other poster here.

She has however the wrong attitude to present it in a way as if she is the representative of the Thai people.

She is in no way.

And @recom273? What's his/her qualification to claim that his experience of Thai life is in any way representative or empirical?

The weekend does tend to bring out the TV armchair experts though.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

99% Thai people think eat dog is terrible, like a rabbit etc. is a pet, not food.

SOME people in Sakon Nakorn province, Issan, eat dog. Everyone in thailand know about that. Is on the news. 

Sakon Nakorn province have many Vietnam blood people, since long time. It come from that.

Not much

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not much

So it seems you have confirmed Thai folk do eat dogs, that was the OP. What you eat down south is another matter.

I am from the south of the UK, we do not, as a whole, eat Haggis.....????

4 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Understand collections stopped soon after 2011.

Cuz it became illegal around that time. No sorry it was 2014.

Thailand introduced its first animal welfare law in 2014. The Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act, B.E. 2557 (2014) came into being on 27 December 2014

Edited by IvorBiggun2

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Aren't sweeping generalizations fun?

A species of field rodent is popular bush meat in parts of rural Isaan. They don't 'eat rats in Issan'.

A few, localised communities in Sakon Nakhon eat dog meat. They don't 'eat dogs in Isaan'.

Thanks for your attention.

Woof woof!

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

It was a long time ago.
The dog slaughterhouse which was in Tharee, a small town on route 22 between Sakon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom has been closed for more than ten years.
(and I know Thai people who have already eat rabbit)
For the rest it is true, the province is home to a significant number of Thai people from Vietnam.
most of them continue to speak Vietnamese among themselves, to go to mass on Sundays because many are Catholic;
and when we enter their house, it is not the photo of the king of Thailand that we see first but that of Onc 'Ho ...

7 hours ago, transam said:

So it seems you have confirmed Thai folk do eat dogs, that was the OP. What you eat down south is another matter.

I am from the south of the UK, we do not, as a whole, eat Haggis.....????

Which seems normal, since you are not Scottish :jap:

When a dog was run over in front of my girlfriend's house in Isaan, I grabbed a shovel and started rolling up my sleeves.  She's like - what are you doing?  I'm going to bury the poor <deleted> before he starts to stink up the place.  And she's like no, no, no, just wait.  It's a big dog and she's squeezing my bicep for emphasis, it's a big dog - you'll see.  And sure enough 10 minutes later a ute comes by, these young guys pick up the dog and drive off. 

A similar thing happened with a cow.  An impromptu party was launched and I even partook of the raw 'beef salad', which wasn't bad really - certainly fresh. 

9 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

In your dreams ... 

I live in this province since 14 years ..

I would like to know the address of these restaurants where there is meat dog on the menu ..

In my village where I live there is a well known Thai family who eats dogs. My neighbors dog bit this neighbors buffalo a few months back. The poor dog was never seen again, My wife told me that he was sentenced to death which is village terms means sent to the family that's eats dog............That's one way getting rid of your dog up here.

29 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It was a long time ago.
The dog slaughterhouse which was in Tharee, a small town on route 22 between Sakon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom has been closed for more than ten years.
(and I know Thai people who have already eat rabbit)
For the rest it is true, the province is home to a significant number of Thai people from Vietnam.
most of them continue to speak Vietnamese among themselves, to go to mass on Sundays because many are Catholic;
and when we enter their house, it is not the photo of the king of Thailand that we see first but that of Onc 'Ho ...

A lot of Christians in Tharee, good place to see Christmas lights.

There was a Catholic radio in this tower at the top of which there is St Michael slaying the dragon

Nikon E4500 - june 2009

733324943_DSCN1920_road_22_to_Nakhon_Phanom(Copy).thumb.jpg.cedf660a973a7d86e72208862ccf03cc.jpg

There is especially the Cathedrale St Michael which is magnificent; she looks like a boat

Olympus TG 860 - june 2017

P1150097_Rd_22_Tharee.thumb.JPG.f885027ec30f142e3b64f28ebd9d2fff.JPG

P1150101_Rd_22_Tharee.thumb.JPG.b3ad08f88d2edd33f1162b0a7f896ebb.JPG

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1