Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

Went the AARP website....figure there should be plenty of folks on SS/SSI talking their stimulus payment. 

In the "comments area" of below AARP news article you'll see that some on SS/SSI who did not file 2019/2018 returns started receiving stimulus payment via direct deposit or status of check mailed on 29 Apr-1 May. 

But you will also see many comments by people who are wondering why they can get status of their payment, wondering why their stimulus payment was mailed instead of direct deposited, wondering why they didn't get the extra $500 per child as they had provided the necessary info in time (or thought they had), etc. 

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2020/social-security-recipients-stimulus.html

• Like 1

IRS used to send out tax forms. That gave you a chance to see how your address was concatenated in the IRS system. If you've got any of those old mailers or other correspondence from the IRS still around, you might try your address in the format it shows.

• Like 1

I have Direct Deposit of my SS thru Bangkok Bank New York for many years. Do not file tax returns, No address or family in the US. I also have not received my $1,200 stimulus money. Let's hope no problems, but again this is the IRS! Hope they don't mail it, that could be months and Bangkok Bank will charge to cash it! Last check I got from the US was for $200 and they charged me $40 to cash it.

13 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

I have Direct Deposit of my SS thru Bangkok Bank New York for many years. Do not file tax returns, No address or family in the US. I also have not received my $1,200 stimulus money. Let's hope no problems, but again this is the IRS! Hope they don't mail it, that could be months and Bangkok Bank will charge to cash it! Last check I got from the US was for $200 and they charged me $40 to cash it.

That is exactly my situation also.

Went to the AARP link you mentioned PIB. We are not alone. Why did THEY add the tool so we (non filers) can go and add our information if it doesn't work? Why haven't they fixed this if so many aren't getting their checks (or deposits) ? You would think after a few comments, someone might go ahead and fix the get your payment link.Some of us retired early and could use this money. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

Below is an "estimated" refund, repeat, refund payment schedule for 2020.   Since the IRS only transmits direct deposit refunds once a week and mail refund checks only once a week, I expect they follow the same/very similar schedule for stimulus payments because that's simply how their system is designed to work.  Pretty much one batch of direct payments and snail mail checks per week which is millions and millions of payments.

The dates in the Direct Deposit Sent and Paper Check Mailed columns are Friday and just means the weekly refund/mailing occurs "by" Friday....they can/usually happen days earlier like around a Wednesday for direct deposits.   

Like my 2019 refund posted to my US bank acct on 8 Apr (a Wed) and my stimulus payment on 15 Apr (Wed). Well, actually, both were posted a day earlier only because my US bank has a policy of posting direct deposits one day before the direct deposit instructions.  

But the key point is the direct deposit/check mailing occurs "once" a week.  And for a direct deposit the most likely time you will see the deposit posting to your bank acct is mid week/a Wednesday.   

Also, keep in mind that IRS online sites for a refund or stimulus payments are only updated once every 24 hours....usually overnight between midnight and 3am US eastern time which right now would be 11am-2pm Thailand time.   No use to check more than once a day....like sometime after 2pm Thailand time.  And I wouldn't expect any updates over a weekend/non-business day.

image.png.c23a501d50eb1e859099d0dbcf9ee345.png

Edited by Pib

Received the payment on April 29 direct to my USA bank. Had to go through https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment   

My wife and I have filed a tax return every year since I moved here, for IRA distributions, etc. But I still had to provide my bank info despite them having paid refunds to my account (or taken tax payments from it) in prior years.

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

But the key point is the direct deposit/check mailing occurs "once" a week.  And for a direct deposit the most likely time you will see the deposit posting to your bank acct is mid week/a Wednesday. 

Yeah, looks like Wednesday is the magic day. We'll see.

1505101951_Screenshot(143).jpg.24b2051fc01c071897c607c722cea4b8.jpg

38 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Did you file a tax return in for 2018 or 2019?

I think you did since they have stated that if the stimulus payment is based upon a SSA-1099 your account number would not be shown.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you file a tax return in for 2018 or 2019?

Yes, but my refund went towards next year's taxes, thus no direct deposit info on tax return. Originally I couldn't supply them with my direct deposit info 'cause the software wouldn't accept "zero" in the "amount of refund" column. They fixed that glitch a couple of weeks ago.

23 hours ago, racyrick said:

Up until they did the maintenance on their site, my Thai address worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Now, it does not work and I tried entering many different ways.

If anyone receives their stimulus check by mail here in Thailand, please let us know.

Were you able to change your direct deposit information or are they sending you a check?

Also, did you write out the entire house number with street name and everything, or just the house number?  Do address like 35/202 work?  Or do I have to write in 35202? Any information without actually giving us your address would be great.  Thanks!

Edited by SilverBlue
31 minutes ago, SilverBlue said:

Do address like 35/202 work?  Or do I have to write in 35202? Any information without actually giving us your address would be great.

I posted this on the previous page in reply a post asking me about it since I am able to use my Thai address.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just the house number and Soi number that are the beginning of my address. For example 123/456 Soi 12/5. Left off the village name and etc.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just the house number and Soi number that are the beginning of my address. For example 123/456 Soi 12/5. Left off the village name and etc.

Thanks Ubonjoe for your reply.

Sorry, just one more question, did you use dashes when you put in your social security number like 111-11-1111 or just entered the numbers straight 111111111.

Thanks again for your help and time!

3 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Sorry, just one more question, did you use dashes when you put in your social security number like 111-11-1111 or just entered the numbers straight 111111111.

Only the number. If you click on the mark it states only 9 characters. With dashes it would of course be 11.

My previous tax preparer in Texas emailed me back and said this............................They are processing tax return filers first then the non required filers then the SS recipients. Unfortunately you will be last. .......................My app was accepted April 12th,so it said on the chart I would have my direct deposit sent May 1st. I checked again Get My Payment and it said the same thing as always, "We cannot determine your eligibility by the information they have." That still goes against anything I've seen here..................... Today I went to the bank,thinking I would have my regular SS and my daughters in the bank today(always on the 3rd). The IRS said my May payment would be sent on the first. It's still not in my account. I know tomorrow is a holiday here,so they usually send it out early if that happens,like they said. It should be in my account but isn't.

Edited by fredwiggy
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the number. If you click on the mark it states only 9 characters. With dashes it would of course be 11.

But it still works if including dashes as I've tried it.....works with or without dashes.  

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

My previous tax preparer in Texas emailed me back and said this............................They are processing tax return filers first then the non required filers then the SS recipients. Unfortunately you will be last. .......................My app was accepted April 12th,so it said on the chart I would have my direct deposit sent May 1st. I checked again Get My Payment and it said the same thing as always, "We cannot determine your eligibility by the information they have." That still goes against anything I've seen here..................... Today I went to the bank,thinking I would have my regular SS and my daughters in the bank today(always on the 3rd). The IRS said my May payment would be sent on the first. It's still not in my account. I know tomorrow is a holiday here,so they usually send it out early if that happens,like they said. It should be in my account but isn't.

The IRS goal is to process 90% of returns within 21 days of efiling....and 28 days of receipt of mailed returns.  And then processing time assuming the returns are error free or only requires some minor correction the IRS can handle without requiring additional action from the filer.

But that is during a normal year; this is not a normal year.  Now with IRS also processing stimulus payments I expect it's pretty hard for them to achieve their refund time processing goal.   I've seen news reports that said the IRS is focusing most manpower on getting stimulus payments sent at the expense of processing normal returns.  And I've seen news reports saying the reverse that processing normal returns is still priority one and processing of stimulus payments is priority two.  

I filed my 2019 return 18 March and received the refund 21 days later on 8 Apr.  But that was just before the IRS had to start processing around 150 million stimulus payments based on determining eligibility from 2019/2018 returns, SS data, and VA data.  I don't envy IRS workers....this year each worker's inbox is probably a mile high right now as they try to do their normal job combined with this black swam stimulus payment event.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Today I went to the bank,thinking I would have my regular SS and my daughters in the bank today(always on the 3rd)

Yeah I expect (due to bank holiday tomorrow) regular SS may not get posted until Tuesday afternoon.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I know tomorrow is a holiday here,so they usually send it out early if that happens,like they said. It should be in my account but isn't.

You would normally get it on the first if the 3rd falls on a Sunday. But Friday the 1st was a bank holiday (Labor day) which means your transfer was not processed. You will not get your payment until the 5th.

I was thinking Thursday. I started getting my payments on the 3rd, at around 10am. Then, it slowly started coming later, 12 noon, 1;00 ,2;00 ,2;30 ,3;00, 3;3o, then 4;00, and now, the last two months, on the 4th. The IRS schedules it on  the 3rd, but I think Bangkok bank in Bangkok doesn't release it until someone does there. I used to think electronic transfers were done automatically when the bank opens at 9;00 AM, but now I'm not sure. My daughter's used to come after mine. Now I get hers first, usually by 10;00 AM, and mine not until later in the day or the next day. Doesn't make sense.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, JimGant said:

1505101951_Screenshot(143).jpg.24b2051fc01c071897c607c722cea4b8.jpg

Did this 6 May payment notice appear just over the last day or so...like Saturday or today/Sunday.   Or maybe this is the first time you've checked for around a week which means the 6 May payment might have been schedule since late last week? 

I think for the weekend any new update appearing is a result of the Friday payment scheduling which updates early Saturday morning to where people can see it.  And then there are no updates occurring from Saturday or Sunday (normally) which means no early Sunday or Monday morning updates.  Basically, a person likely to only see a status update Tuesday thru Saturday.  

But if you've been checking daily and the 6 May payment notice "just appeared" then maybe the direct deposit payments for this coming week have now been scheduled which means it may be another week before anymore payments are scheduled.  Then again, IRS folks may be working overtime...scheduling direct deposits/snail mail checks more than once a week since this is not a normal year for the IRS due to the stimulus payments.

Edited by Pib

Thanks all for the replies.  I submitted my taxes with payment on March 30, so I guess I'm going to have to wait a while.  Looks like some of you have had success entering your Thai address in, so I guess my info is just not in yet.  I'll keep checking when I remember, but am not holding out for it.  At worst, I'll just claim it in next year's return, or maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised to get it in the mail.

What I saw today.................................

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

For more information about why you're receiving this message, see our Frequently Asked Questions.

You can check the application again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there's no need to check back more often..................................I'm a US citizen with a SS number, as is my daughter,married,but never filed with wife,and she doesn't have a SS # or ITIN, never made more than 75k, and collect SS retirement , so I know I'm eligible.

Edited by fredwiggy
8 hours ago, SilverBlue said:

Thanks all for the replies.  I submitted my taxes with payment on March 30, so I guess I'm going to have to wait a while.  Looks like some of you have had success entering your Thai address in, so I guess my info is just not in yet.  I'll keep checking when I remember, but am not holding out for it.  At worst, I'll just claim it in next year's return, or maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised to get it in the mail.

It's not the address they use but the bank information for direct deposit for refunds. I received mine via direct deposit to my US bank, but use my Thai address for mail.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just got that message today. Just a little more info.

I am sure this one is my status "We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this)". No info for those that are getting one based upon a SSA-1099.

That's me too.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Did this 6 May payment notice appear just over the last day or so...like Saturday or today/Sunday.   Or maybe this is the first time you've checked for around a week which means the 6 May payment might have been schedule since late last week

I first saw this last week

Are those living in Thailand affected by the shutdown in the US? Maybe a couple but not most. I have the same money as before, but will accept it as a gift. Will probably send it to my kids in US. 

A lot of moaning here. Expats here must not be in a good position financially. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3