Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Some of us had to retire early to take care of our families here. And some of us didn't have jobs that hurt the earth, the economy or others, so we didn't make a lot of money.

Fair enough. My profession was the same, but I always invested a good percent to cover retirement. 

• Like 1
On 5/3/2020 at 2:49 PM, fredwiggy said:

I was thinking Thursday. I started getting my payments on the 3rd, at around 10am. Then, it slowly started coming later, 12 noon, 1;00 ,2;00 ,2;30 ,3;00, 3;3o, then 4;00, and now, the last two months, on the 4th. The IRS schedules it on  the 3rd, but I think Bangkok bank in Bangkok doesn't release it until someone does there. I used to think electronic transfers were done automatically when the bank opens at 9;00 AM, but now I'm not sure. My daughter's used to come after mine. Now I get hers first, usually by 10;00 AM, and mine not until later in the day or the next day. Doesn't make sense.

Wife's monthly SSA pension posted today/Tuesday/5 May at 8:50am.   Normally it posts on the 3rd a few minutes past 9am (her payment is sent via IDD vs ACH) but with the holiday on Friday and Monday with a weekend between the payment was waiting for Thai banks to open again today.   Now tomorrow/Wed/6 May is another Thai bank holiday so if a person monthly payment doesn't post today, they may have to wait till 7 May/Thursday when the bank holidays are over for a while.

9 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

No kidding. If I was rich I could've stayed home. I came here because it's cheap. It also offers jobs with which I can actually pay the rent. This is something that can't be said for much of the Western world now.

Agreed.  I left America to retire here, because my corporation retired me at 59.  And my ex-wife retired half of my life savings when she divorced me.  Got a much better retirement now.

• Like 1

If you're a social security recipient it will come to your bank of record via direct deposit automatically but if your bank of record is overseas it's held for several days by the receiving bank before it's posted...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

A lot of moaning here. Expats here must not be in a good position financially. 

Do you think I would be living in Thailand if I could afford to live in the US? The answer is absolutely not! I couldn't even pay my utilities in the US with what I get on SS! I would have to be on welfare and I do not wish to go that way! But soon I will be gone to live in Mexico, much cheaper than Thailand is now! Plus they give many discounts to retired people!

On 5/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Do you think I would be living in Thailand if I could afford to live in the US? The answer is absolutely not! I couldn't even pay my utilities in the US with what I get on SS! I would have to be on welfare and I do not wish to go that way! But soon I will be gone to live in Mexico, much cheaper than Thailand is now! Plus they give many discounts to retired people!

Mexico?  Seriously?  Too much crime there especially aimed at gringo.  Have you thought about Costa Rica and other Central American countries?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Costa Rica was far to expensive when I was looking for a place to move to in 2006. Friends of mine had the same idea and they agreed with me. They looked at Panama & liked it and said it was cheap to live there, but that was 2006, so no idea what the situation is there today.

As far as Mexico goes, I agree with the above post ...much to much cartel violence. Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, and other nice towns are besieged with cartels and the violence they bring. Plenty of stuff about it on youtube if you care to look. The country side is just as bad.

IMHO it won't be long until the general anti farang feeling here goes from feeling to actions. I'm already making plans to bug out of here. A friend I have been talking to about this for the last 6 to 8 months just told me yesterday that he has decided to leave as well.

So, back to the topic at hand. Anybody get their stimulus $ yet? I haven't. A page or 2 back somebody said they had a notice they would get theirs on May 6 which is why I looked here today.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Mexico?  Seriously?  Too much crime there especially aimed at gringo.  Have you thought about Costa Rica and other Central American countries?

Costa Rica and Panama are quite expensive now. I wouldn't consider any other Central American countries at this time. 

Anyway most of the world has closed or heavily restricted borders anyway. Check back in a year or two. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

The IRS Sent Coronavirus Relief Payments To Dead People

"And among the recipients of those $1,200 payments are the bank accounts of dead individuals  "

"Bob L'Hommedieu's father passed away in December after a long battle with dementia. April 15 he noticed a payment in the amount of $1,200 in his late father's account.  "

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/851019441/the-irs-sent-coronavirus-relief-payments-to-dead-people

Any dead people out there that received your relief payments, please don't spend the money, when the IRS fins out, they will kill you.:tongue:   

Just now, fredwiggy said:

The dead are receiving a stimulus before a lot of us

Easy fix,

Kill yourself . :tongue:

Disclaimer: The above opinion is no to be considered as a professional opinion  and results may vary. Past performance does not guarantee future results.   

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

"And among the recipients of those $1,200 payments are the bank accounts of dead individuals  "

"Bob L'Hommedieu's father passed away in December after a long battle with dementia. April 15 he noticed a payment in the amount of $1,200 in his late father's account.  "

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/851019441/the-irs-sent-coronavirus-relief-payments-to-dead-people

Any dead people out there that received your relief payments, please don't spend the money, when the IRS fins out, they will kill you.:tongue:   

I had a friend that died in February 2019 who was receiving monthly SSA payments.  When he died his widow reported his death and the monthly SSA payments stopped.  In the middle of April his widow received a stimulus payment for herself and him, total $2400

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, wayned said:

I had a friend that died in February 2019 who was receiving monthly SSA payments.  When he died his widow reported his death and the monthly SSA payments stopped.  In the middle of April his widow received a stimulus payment for herself and him, total $2400

I wonder how you return it, you don't want mess with the IRS. 

• Like 1

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

For more information about why you're receiving this message, see our Frequently Asked Questions.

You can check the application again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there's no need to check back more often......................................Same again

• Like 2
Just now, Stadtler said:

I have received it twice.  I changed my social security number two years ago and it appears they have paid both.  Bonus for me.

You might not want to post that here. SS numbers can only be changed under special circumstances and if you had it changed, anything going to the original number would be cross -referenced with the new, meaning you wouldn't get paid twice.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You might not want to post that here. SS numbers can only be changed under special circumstances and if you had it changed, anything going to the original number would be cross -referenced with the new, meaning you wouldn't get paid twice.

You'll have to tell the politicians they screwed up.  What a surprise, a politician who screws up.

The IRS Wants Its Money Back - Stimulus Checks Made To Dead Taxpayers Must Be Returned

"If the checks were sent by mail, they should be voided and mailed back to the IRS. If the payments were made via direct deposit, the taxpayer should write a check to the government and mail it in. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanguina/2020/05/06/stimulus-checks-made-to-dead-taxpayers-must-be-returned/#658c263c2d97

The problem is that the initial condition that makes one eligible to receive the Covid19 assistance , also , makes it difficult to return the check, because as everyone knows nothing returns from the dead. 

2 hours ago, Stadtler said:

You'll have to tell the politicians they screwed up.  What a surprise, a politician who screws up.

It's not politicians, it's the long armed IRS and US government. You don't want to spend the next 10 years worrying about criminal fraud charges. Before deciding to keep it you might want to talk to a tax expert on how to proceed. I am glad I did.

Edited by rabas

I am in the states now, I left Thailand about a year ago now. But I have friends that paid their taxes with a credit card, and did not fill in the routing number and checking account information on the income tax form. These guys still got the check but mailed to them.  Here in the states.

Other friends filled in the checking numbers required for refunds or payments on the tax forms.  These guys got a refund pronto into their account. Here in the states.

If you don:t file a tax return, I would go on the IRS site and fill one out and include your banking info. 

I receive SS and I filed a tax return, but did not include the checking account information and got a check mailed to me. No problem what so ever. 

If you guys are not getting the checks I would head over to the IRS site and start asking questions, I bet you could get it ironed out pretty quick.

Well, here's some good new for those of you still trying to access the Get My Payment website.  I was able to finally get in with my Thai address today and update my direct deposit information.  I entered the same address I always entered since the system opened, so my information probably wasn't in the system until today.  I filed my income taxes with Turbo Tax on March 30.  I used all CAPS and my address started like this 224/104.  So for those of you still wondering if its ever going to work, mine did, so maybe yours will too.  Soon.

15 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

Same message everyday for a long time now. "We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this)" When ????

• Thanks 1