Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

I know we are talking "just getting the current stimulus payment" but more and more news articles and politicians are talking the possibility of a second (or more) round of stimulus payments based on comments/proposed bills from the White House on down.  This COVID-19 black swan event has made many politicians very receptive to paying out more money since it's election year, it's borrowed money, and generally not many people seem too concerned about running up the national debt. 

Additional payment proposals all over the map.   I think the two articles below from The Hill sum-up the "all over the map" current thinking by our elected officials.   Some proposals seem to be focused towards just handing out more money to most everyone like the current stimulus payment and some proposals more targeted.  Time will tell, but with Democrats and Republicans trying to out do each other during an election year, my bet is more big stimulus payments beyond this current stimulus payment are to come.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/496896-democrats-rally-behind-monthly-2000-relief-checks

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/496720-republicans-not-sold-coronavirus-relief-checks

Edited by Pib
44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The kill switch for many of us seems to be having ITIN on tax return.  Even if we have SSN if a joint return and spouse has ITIN no payment is made to anyone from my understanding, and experience.  

Hopefully you will get the benefit when you file your taxes for 2020.  If you received no (advance)payment at this time you may still be able to use the refundable 2020 tax credit which is the funding source for this current round of payments.  I haven't yet seen any articles that attempt to explain what will happen when those who won't receive a payment now file their 2020 taxes jointly with a spouse with ITIN.

Edited by gamb00ler
13 minutes ago, Pib said:

I know we are talking "just getting the current stimulus payment" but more and more news articles and politicians are talking the possibility of a second (or more) round of stimulus payments based on comments/proposed bills from the White House on down.  This COVID-19 black swan event has made many politicians very receptive to paying out more money since it's election year, it's borrowed money, and generally not many people seem too concerned about running up the national debt. 

Additional payment proposals all over the map.   I think the two articles below from The Hill sum-up the "all over the map" current thinking by our elected officials.   Some proposals seem to be focused towards just handing out more money to most everyone like the current stimulus payment and some proposals more targeted.  Time will tell, but with Democrats and Republicans trying to out do each other during an election year, my bet is more big stimulus payments beyond this current stimulus payment are to come.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/496896-democrats-rally-behind-monthly-2000-relief-checks

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/496720-republicans-not-sold-coronavirus-relief-checks

I read somewhere when that was first mentioned that only US citizens with a US address will receive more payments. Would be nice if we did also but..........

13 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

SUCCESS?  OR NOT?

last night was finally able to input my banking information for direct deposit.

494847869_IRS2.jpg.039b10ccfd846a9b0fb83c693f6c546f.jpg

tonight i checked status, and a check will be mailed?  is this just a placeholder until fully updated?

1778016295_IRS3.jpg.f934e24e992bb770cc58bef3c41cf606.jpg

get my refund is "still processing return"

My guess since the payment has been scheduled for snail mail, it will continue that way.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#bank

image.png.8cc4d9efcf33997f9809415627e6a5e9.png

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I read somewhere when that was first mentioned that only US citizens with a US address will receive more payments. Would be nice if we did also but..........

"....read somewhere..." don't carry much weight. Plus many were saying the same thing about the first payment but almost 600,000 payments to US folks with foreign addresses has been paid out.

Just now, Pib said:

That kinda like saying it's on the internet somewhere.  Give a specific link.  

I'm sorry Pib, it was a couple weeks ago on Yahoo and I haven't found it yet. All I remember is that it didn't affect me because of what it said, that only those with a US address would be paid. I'm sure that could change if it's not written in stone yet......................Just found this,and it didn't say anything about a US address,but that those with just direct deposit info would receive it, it says qualifying people so whatever that can mean......................https://fox8.com/news/americans-would-receive-2000-stimulus-check-each-month-through-covid-19-crisis-under-proposed-legislation/

Edited by fredwiggy

I've been reading every one on extra money and I don't see anywhere that those collecting SS will receive it.It looks like it's for those still working as far as i can see................Reps. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, and Ro Khanna, D-Calif., put forward that proposal earlier this month. Their bill calls for monthly payments for at least six months of at least $2,000 for adults 16 and over making less than $130,000 per year. Married couples earning less than $260,000 would receive at least $4,000 per month.

Edited by fredwiggy
8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

That was the message I got, before the direct deposit to my bank happened. 

Thanks!  This is me too.  I successfully entered my direct deposit information on 5/8 and it said it would give me further details of when it would send my deposit, but then a day later it said it was now going to mail my check on 3/15 to the address I had on file (Thai address).  From what you are reporting, maybe this message screen is just a placeholder because this website is not real intuitive.  Thats good new.  I'll keep everybody posted if it does appear in my US bank account or not.  Thanks again all!

14 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

1778016295_IRS3.jpg.f934e24e992bb770cc58bef3c41cf606.jpg

I finally got into this site after weeks of trying and also got the above.

Unfortunately it seems to mean they snail mailed it to me in Thailand...

Aside from taking forever and posisbly getting lost, it is hassle to deal with checks from US bank in Thailand and where I need the money anyhow is in my US account

I am wondering if - in case it even arrives -- I simply discard it rather than cashing it I can then claim a credit on my 2020 taxes? I am going to owe taxes in 2020 si this would work for me...

For those itnerested+ I get SS direct deposited to my US account, but also file income tax statremernt each year nad have never had a direct deposit refund. I file iwht a Thai address )so much for the *only taxpayers with US address qualify rumor*.

SO they do NOT use SS bank data at least nto if you filed a tax return

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Aside from taking forever and posisbly getting lost, it is hassle to deal with checks from US bank in Thailand and where I need the money anyhow is in my US account

Have you checked your US bank?  Believe many allow electronic deposit these days.  I know USAA does as have done many times.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you checked your US bank?  Believe many allow electronic deposit these days.  I know USAA does as have done many times.

How can I do an electroric deposit of a physical check?

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You just scan the check with the "deposit from home type" function within your US bank ibanking or mbanking app...."many" US banks offer such...have for a long time.  Gosh, I was doing that 10 years ago with coupon rebate checks I would get mailed.  

For example check out the USAA video on how to deposit checks with mbanking...you can do it via ibanking also.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank-how-to-videos?SearchRanking=2&SearchLinkPhrase=deposit from home

Edited by Pib
Just now, Sheryl said:

Very simple if allowed.  You scan check front and back (or photo if using phone).  Enter internet web site and select deposit check and a simple enter amount, send scans of front and back.  Once done destroy check or mark void.  

Just now, Pib said:

You just scan the check with the "deposit from home type" function within your US bank ibanking or mbanking app...."many" US banks offer such...have for a long time.  Gosh, I was doing that 10 years ago with coupon rebate checks I would get mailed.

Goodness I missed this development altogther, wish I had known before....but better late than nevrer. Thanks! If snail mail check comes through I will do this/

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I finally got into this site after weeks of trying and also got the above.

Unfortunately it seems to mean they snail mailed it to me in Thailand...

I am wondering if - in case it even arrives -- I simply discard it rather than cashing it I can then claim a credit on my 2020 taxes? I am going to owe taxes in 2020 si this would work for me...

For those itnerested+ I get SS direct deposited to my US account, but also file income tax statremernt each year nad have never had a direct deposit refund. I file iwht a Thai address )so much for the *only taxpayers with US address qualify rumor*.

SO they do NOT use SS bank data at least nto if you filed a tax return

other posters say they also got the above message after having their DD info accepted, but then quickly got the direct deposit.  probably an error due to preparing the program on short notice.

don't discard the check.  that's your payment!  irs records will show you've already received it.

check with your bank or credit union or broker - they may have remote deposit available for your checking/savings account.  if you do that, don't destroy or void the check until after the money has cleared.

i think the irs faq page had a link to a credit union (maybe was USAA?) that had made special arrangements to quickly and easily open accounts for those without in order to allow for direct deposit.  maybe google will know.

1 hour ago, steveb6 said:

When I enter my information with my Thai address I get this the information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again. The first time I tried it it worked but now it doesn't work

I got that repeatedly at first too. You have to enter exactly as it is on your 1040 form and leave zip code field blank

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

other posters say they also got the above message after having their DD info accepted, but then quickly got the direct deposit.  probably an error due to preparing the program on short notice.

don't discard the check.  that's your payment!  irs records will show you've already received it.

No, IRD records will show only that it was mailed to me.

I don:t give it more than 50% odds of arriving and if it does not, records will reflect it was never cashed.

If I do get it, based on info posters have provided, I:ll do an electronic deposit. But in normal times mail delivery fdrom abroad is iffy, and now with most flights suspended....

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, IRD records will show only that it was mailed to me.

I don:t give it more than 50% odds of arriving and if it does not, records will reflect it was never cashed.

If I do get it, based on info posters have provided, I:ll do an electronic deposit. But in normal times mail delivery fdrom abroad is iffy, and now with most flights suspended....

sorry, don't mean to quibble over semantics.

yes, records will show a check was mailed to you.  the records might show it was not yet cashed.  you'd have to ask a tax expert on how that would affect claiming the rebate/refund (or whatever it's called) on next year's tax return.  what sort of hoops will you have to jump through to "prove" you didn't receive the check?

hopefully them other posters are correct, and this is just a glitch.  i'll report back if and when a direct deposit shows up in my checking account.  good luck!

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Goodness I missed this development altogther, wish I had known before....but better late than nevrer. Thanks! If snail mail check comes through I will do this/

I did too but have learned about it lately.  Still haven’t done it!!  

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

IRS would have a record of the check being paid/mailed to you.  Until you contact them to say "where is my durn check....I never got it....send me a replacement" the IRS will consider case closed.  Heck, there are some people who receive govt checks and simply do not cash them for some reason.  

I expect the following procedure will be required for a MIA "stimulus" check....same procedure as for an annual tax refund check that goes MIA.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3911.pdf

image.png.d90a9b521e96dd6dfd427ed00086ad5d.png

As far as the possible next round of checks, this is from Yahoo News........................

Eligibility for the $2,000 Payments

Eligibility for the $2,000 monthly payments under the Emergency Money for the People Act would be much broader than for the current CARES Act stimulus payments. To qualify for the monthly payments under the bill, you would have to be:

• A citizen or resident of the U.S.; and

• At least 16 years old as of January 1, 2020.

The citizenship or residency requirement would be satisfied if a person is physically present in the U.S. continuously since January 27, 2020, and stays in the U.S. throughout the payment period. (A person would fail to maintain a continuous presence in the U.S. if he or she left the country for any period exceeding 90 days or for any periods, in the aggregate, exceeding 180 days.)..........https://www.yahoo.com/news/going-second-round-stimulus-checks-114253578.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

As far as the possible next round of checks, this is from Yahoo News........................

Eligibility for the $2,000 Payments

Eligibility for the $2,000 monthly payments under the Emergency Money for the People Act would be much broader than for the current CARES Act stimulus payments. To qualify for the monthly payments under the bill, you would have to be:

• A citizen or resident of the U.S.; and

• At least 16 years old as of January 1, 2020.

The citizenship or residency requirement would be satisfied if a person is physically present in the U.S. continuously since January 27, 2020, and stays in the U.S. throughout the payment period. (A person would fail to maintain a continuous presence in the U.S. if he or she left the country for any period exceeding 90 days or for any periods, in the aggregate, exceeding 180 days.)..........https://www.yahoo.com/news/going-second-round-stimulus-checks-114253578.html

This has been kicked around for a month now.  Likelihood of being passes as is stated in article is very very low.  However, most representatives (both sides) do think the $1200 is not enough.  $2000 per month is a big reach by the DFL from both the Senate and House.  I personally think, for any plan to pass, its going to get cut down to something like $1000 a month/3 months max, and $500 per dependent up to 3.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

sorry, don't mean to quibble over semantics.

yes, records will show a check was mailed to you.  the records might show it was not yet cashed.  you'd have to ask a tax expert on how that would affect claiming the rebate/refund (or whatever it's called) on next year's tax return.  what sort of hoops will you have to jump through to "prove" you didn't receive the check?

hopefully them other posters are correct, and this is just a glitch.  i'll report back if and when a direct deposit shows up in my checking account.  good luck!

Our tax return is built on an honor system.  We can report it how we think is correct, but that doesn't mean that the IRS won't define sending a check to you and you not cashing it as you not being paid.  If they do define merely sending a check as you being paid, and you get audited, you will have to prove that you didn't "get" the check.  If you have the check on your desk, and you didn't deposit the check, I don't think that would fly.  Its confusing, but I feel like they purposely make it vague.  Either way, if you have a US bank account, most banks now have mobile deposit available on the phone app.  Banks have also increased the limit for government issued checks as well.  Just last week, our US bank increased our mobile deposit amounts from $2500 to $4000.  As these stimulus checks can be $3900 w/ married couple and 3 dependents, I think its pretty obvious the banks have prepared themselves in receiving these funds.

1 hour ago, SilverBlue said:

This has been kicked around for a month now.  Likelihood of being passes as is stated in article is very very low.  However, most representatives (both sides) do think the $1200 is not enough.  $2000 per month is a big reach by the DFL from both the Senate and House.  I personally think, for any plan to pass, its going to get cut down to something like $1000 a month/3 months max, and $500 per dependent up to 3.

yea....quite a few politicians are proposing BIG stimulus payment plans that would bankrupt the U.S., but at the same time these politicians know their proposals/bills don't stand a chance in gaining majority support (or anything close to a majority) and almost always just die in committee.   Politicians are always proposing this-and-that new bills which they know will not go anywhere...never become law.....but are good sound bites for their quarterly letters to their constituents saying they have proposed this-or-that. 

Typically only about 5% of proposed bills reach the point of even receiving a vote and only 1% end up passing.   See stats below.

But with above being said and since it election year, I do expect some kind of additional "but targeted" stimulus payment(s) to pass over the next few months....but nothing close to the $2000/month for X-months for most everyone.  Yeap, a lot of politician election year "chicken in every pot" type talk going on right now.

image.png.a3d050b2e43866b49720eea5bba61c9a.png 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We got our $$ via direct deposit to our US bank, but really don't need it. My wife just had me transfer $2000 to our on son. I'm left with $400, until she decides to give that away too. Oh well! easy come easy go.

If there is a second round she'll enjoy giving it away too, and she isn't even a liberal.

• Haha 1