Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

IRS issues deadline for direct deposit info for coronavirus stimulus payments

Susan Tompor
Detroit Free Press

1:57
2:10

Still waiting on your stimulus stash? The IRS has a new deadline to urge you to act soon if you're considering entering direct deposit information online at "Get My Payment."  

The Internal Revenue Service wants people to take action by noon Wednesday if they want a shot at receiving stimulus cash more quickly via direct deposit. Bank account information can be entered at "Get My Payment" at IRS.gov. 

And in other news, the IRS said automatic payments will be sent soon to those receiving Social Security retirement, disability benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits, Veterans Affairs benefits or Supplemental Security Income. No specific timetable was given Friday. 

If things go as expected, most eligible Supplemental Security Income or SSI and veterans will spot Economic Impact Payments via their Direct Express card no later than mid-May, according to a fact sheet dated May 5 from Direct Express, which is a prepaid card offered to those who do not have bank accounts.

Coronavirus questions & answers:Do I have to give back a deceased person's stimulus?

Waiting on unemployment benefits?:Here are some tips on how to make ends meet

Many people already have received stimulus payments of up to $1,200 for singles and up to $2,400 for couples, plus $500 for dependent children ages 16 and younger. 

The Treasury Department and the IRS said Friday that about 130 million individuals nationwide received payments worth more than $200 billion in the program’s first four weeks. But more than 20 million payments remained to be sent out. 

GettyImages-1219056437-1.jpg?width=660&h

Many will receive checks if the IRS doesn't have direct deposit information associated with a tax refund for 2018 or 2019. If you owed taxes those years and paid, the IRS would still need direct deposit information. 

One way around this is to supply the IRS with direct deposit information via "Get My Payment." 

To be sure, the "Get My Payment" tool has had its fair share of technical issues that generated a great deal of anger among many users. The IRS has updated that tool, which went online April 15, and some had success later in the game. 

To use the "Get My Payment" tool, you need information from your 2019 return, if filed, and your 2018 return. You'll also need such things as your payment status and your bank account information. 

The IRS stated Friday that the number of paper stimulus checks flowing into mailboxes will increase sharply starting later this month. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/05/11/irs-puts-deadline-direct-deposit-information-coronavirus-stimulus-money/3111930001/

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

IRS issues deadline for direct deposit info for coronavirus stimulus payments

Susan Tompor
Detroit Free Press

1:57
2:10

Still waiting on your stimulus stash? The IRS has a new deadline to urge you to act soon if you're considering entering direct deposit information online at "Get My Payment."  

The Internal Revenue Service wants people to take action by noon Wednesday if they want a shot at receiving stimulus cash more quickly via direct deposit. Bank account information can be entered at "Get My Payment" at IRS.gov. 

And in other news, the IRS said automatic payments will be sent soon to those receiving Social Security retirement, disability benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits, Veterans Affairs benefits or Supplemental Security Income. No specific timetable was given Friday. 

If things go as expected, most eligible Supplemental Security Income or SSI and veterans will spot Economic Impact Payments via their Direct Express card no later than mid-May, according to a fact sheet dated May 5 from Direct Express, which is a prepaid card offered to those who do not have bank accounts.

Coronavirus questions & answers:Do I have to give back a deceased person's stimulus?

Waiting on unemployment benefits?:Here are some tips on how to make ends meet

Many people already have received stimulus payments of up to $1,200 for singles and up to $2,400 for couples, plus $500 for dependent children ages 16 and younger. 

The Treasury Department and the IRS said Friday that about 130 million individuals nationwide received payments worth more than $200 billion in the program’s first four weeks. But more than 20 million payments remained to be sent out. 

GettyImages-1219056437-1.jpg?width=660&h

Many will receive checks if the IRS doesn't have direct deposit information associated with a tax refund for 2018 or 2019. If you owed taxes those years and paid, the IRS would still need direct deposit information. 

One way around this is to supply the IRS with direct deposit information via "Get My Payment." 

To be sure, the "Get My Payment" tool has had its fair share of technical issues that generated a great deal of anger among many users. The IRS has updated that tool, which went online April 15, and some had success later in the game. 

To use the "Get My Payment" tool, you need information from your 2019 return, if filed, and your 2018 return. You'll also need such things as your payment status and your bank account information. 

The IRS stated Friday that the number of paper stimulus checks flowing into mailboxes will increase sharply starting later this month. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/05/11/irs-puts-deadline-direct-deposit-information-coronavirus-stimulus-money/3111930001/

So... anyone expecting it through Bkk Bank/SSA going to go this route - or continue to wait???

On 5/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, amykat said:

I did too but have learned about it lately.  Still haven’t done it!!  

Both of my banks, Capital One and Ally Bank, have a "deposit checks" feature in their apps. Within the app, you're instructed on how to take photo scans on your phone of the front and back of the check (after you endorse it). Capital One doesn't allow the feature when out of the country (they can tell by the IP address) but Ally does. I've deposited numerous checks this way. 

If your location is an issue for your bank's app, a work around is to scan your check and send the scan to a trusted family member in the US. They can print it, login to the app in the US, and scan the photocopy of the check and deposit it. I've used that trick. 

A few days after the deposit is confirmed, the bank will tell you to destroy the physical check. 

• Thanks 2
53 minutes ago, MamaSan said:

So... anyone expecting it through Bkk Bank/SSA going to go this route - or continue to wait???

You can check the status of your payment here. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If you did not file a tax return and are expecting it based upon the SSA-1099 you will not be able to change the payment method.

Thus far I not aware of anybody waiting on a payment to their SSA direct deposit account getting it or even any info about it on the get my payment site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can check the status of your payment here. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If you did not file a tax return and are expecting it based upon the SSA-1099 you will not be able to change the payment method.

Thus far I not aware of anybody waiting on a payment to their SSA direct deposit account getting it or even any info about it on the get my payment site.

No luck with the irs site. Still waiting, then...

I'm in the same boat as many others are insomuch as I don't file taxes anymore and my Social Security check is deposited into the Bangkok Bank account via NY. Yesterday, my wife had a long list of 'honey do' projects but I was feeling lazy. Instead I spent some time trying to figure out this stimulus check fiasco. Anyway, the pseudo-experts on Youtube said that May 13th looked like the day that IRS would deposit the money for the rest of us retired folks. Which of course would be our 14th. I'm not holding my breath...

sunken boat.JPG

Edited by missoura
  • Thanks 1

Well i filed the 1040a Tax forms despite not needing to as I did not have the Minimum income. T%his was to insure the IRS had my US address for mailing my check. They did mail it to me around the 27th of April all good.

Well went on my banking app to send off a payment yesterday and saw they have also direct deposited 1200 into the account that I get my monthly SS into so I have been paid twice crazy they do not have a clue it seems. I will hold it till they request it back.

Edited by hereforgood
20 minutes ago, missoura said:

Anyway, the pseudo-experts on Youtube said that May 13th looked like the day that IRS would deposit the money for the rest of us retired folks.

The latest I have seen on the IRS website is by the middle of this month. At one time they said by the end of April.

I will just keep checking the get my payment site for updates. Not much more I can do.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The latest I have seen on the IRS website is by the middle of this month. At one time they said by the end of April.

I will just keep checking the get my payment site for updates. Not much more I can do.

I agree. Those of us on SS with direct deposit back home will get the the dole.???? The problem is we have a foreign address and this puts us on the bottom of the shyt can. We will be last. ????

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Those of us on SS with direct deposit back home will get the the dole. The problem is we have a foreign address and this puts us on the bottom of the shyt can. We will be last. 

I think those in the states and those outside the states are in the same situation  If they have not filed a tax return and are receiving SSA payments it is exactly the same. The only difference will be the direct deposit banks they are using and probably longer for those out outside the states to get a check.

I file every year despite never setting foot in the empire. I go to the IRS ‘get my payment’ site every single day and try every variation of my address listed on my 2018 and 2019 returns and every single time it tells me that the information they have doesn’t match and after three attempts it locks me out for 24 hours. 

The format of my street address is very simple. Regardless, I’ve tried 50 variations. Never works. And the IRS website never gives a specific enough error message to know what the actual problem is.

It’s incredible that it is demanded that I check in with Big Brother for life and pay annual kickbacks for the privilege of keeping my US passport, but they aren’t even competent enough to keep my address in a database or run a functioning website. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, why you guys wait for your stimulus payment (the wife and I got ours on 15 Apr to our US bank...we file a return each year with our US mailing address vs Thailand address) I'm already standing in line for the next stimulus payment many of our elected politicians are calling for in this election year. 

Today, the House Democrats (Nancy and crew) released their latest bill on their latest grab-bag of stimulus which is a $3 trillion relief package (bigger than the last package) which includes another $1,200 payment.  The House bill didn't include any of the wild stuff payments like $2,000 per month for a year some politicians have thrown out to get media attention.   The House plans to vote on the bill this coming Friday/15 May.  But it will surely go no where in the Senate as the Senate is supposedly preparing a counter proposal/bill and/or wants to wait a few months.   A cat and mouse game between the House and Senate.

See below TheHill news article weblink below for full details....I also included some partial quotes from the article.  Of course this House bill will not be considered in the Senate...it's just the opening bid in a cat-and-mouse game between politicians.  But IMO the Democrat and Republicans will reach some agreement to pass out more money way before election voting occurs in Nov as they will consider it political survival during this black swan event.

And I have a neighbor here in Bangkok who draws only a social security pension....gets around $700/month via ACH to her Bangkok Bank special direct deposit bank acct....did not file a 2019/2018 return (or for years before that) due to income level.  When she checks the Get My Payment status almost daily (like yesterday evening) it still shows the same status like ubonjoe posted a few posts up....that is, still working it or you are not eligible....standby to standby.   Maybe after this Wednesday/13 May which is another IRS deadline for people to enter direct deposit info the dam will break and a BIG bunch more payments will be scheduled for direct deposit or mailing.  And shortly (i.e., a few days later) Get My Payment will reflect scheduled payments for those who have been waiting and waiting, scratching their head as to why their payment has not been made yet like many people drawing SS who don't file returns.   See below 8 May IRS Press release.

TheHill press release on latest House stimulus bill

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/497351-house-democrats-unveil-3-trillion-coronavirus-relief-package

House Democrats unveiled an 1,815-page, $3 trillion coronavirus relief package on Tuesday that includes a grab bag of Democratic priorities and is intended to put pressure on Republicans to start negotiations on help for workers and local governments....

Lawmakers are expected to vote on the bill on Friday, but it is dead on arrival in the GOP-controlled Senate and is not expected to get any Republican support in the House....

The bill would provide a new round of stimulus payments of up to $1,200 per individual, or up to $6,000 per household. Individuals making up to $75,000 annually and married couples making $150,000 would be eligible for the maximum amount........

Lawmakers are expected to vote on the bill on Friday, but it is dead on arrival in the GOP-controlled Senate and is not expected to get any Republican support in the House......

Senate Majority Leader 
Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) threw cold water on the plan, saying Republican senators are working on their own “major package.”.......

IRS 8 May Press Release

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/act-by-wednesday-for-chance-to-get-quicker-economic-impact-payment-timeline-for-payments-continues-to-accelerate

IR-2020-92, May 8, 2020

WASHINGTON – With a variety of steps underway to speed Economic Impact Payments, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service urged people to use Get My Payment by noon Wednesday, May 13, for a chance to get a quicker delivery.

The IRS, working in partnership with Treasury Department and the Bureau of Fiscal Services (BFS), continues to accelerate work to get Economic Impact Payments to even more people as soon as possible. Approximately 130 million individuals have already received payments worth more than $200 billion in the program's first four weeks.

Starting later this month, the number of paper checks being delivered to taxpayers will sharply increase. For many taxpayers, the last chance to obtain a direct deposit of their Economic Impact Payment rather than receive a paper check is coming soon. People should visit Get My Payment on IRS.gov by noon Wednesday, May 13, to check on their payment status and, when available, provide their direct deposit information.

"We're working hard to get more payments quickly to taxpayers," said IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. "We want people to visit Get My Payment before the noon Wednesday deadline so they can provide their direct deposit information. Time is running out for a chance to get these payments several weeks earlier through direct deposit."

After noon Wednesday, the IRS will begin preparing millions of files to send to BFS for paper checks that will begin arriving through late May and into June. Taxpayers who use Get My Payment before that cut-off can still take advantage of entering direct deposit information.

Edited by Pib
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, why you guys wait for your stimulus payment (the wife and I got ours on 15 Apr to our US bank...we file a return each year with our US mailing address vs Thailand address) I'm already standing in line for the next stimulus payment many of our elected politicians are calling for in this election year. 

Today, the House Democrats (Nancy and crew) released their latest bill on their latest grab-bag of stimulus which is a $3 trillion relief package (bigger than the last package) which includes another $1,200 payment.  The House bill didn't include any of the wild stuff payments like $2,000 per month for a year some politicians have thrown out to get media attention.   The House plans to vote on the bill this coming Friday/15 May.  But it will surely go no where in the Senate as the Senate is supposedly preparing a counter proposal/bill and/or wants to wait a few months.   A cat and mouse game between the House and Senate.

See below TheHill news article weblink below for full details....I also included some partial quotes from the article.  Of course this House bill will not be considered in the Senate...it's just the opening bid in a cat-and-mouse game between politicians.  But IMO the Democrat and Republicans will reach some agreement to pass out more money way before election voting occurs in Nov as they will consider it political survival during this black swan event.

And I have a neighbor here in Bangkok who draws only a social security pension....gets around $700/month via ACH to her Bangkok Bank special direct deposit bank acct....did not file a 2019/2018 return (or for years before that) due to income level.  When she checks the Get My Payment status almost daily (like yesterday evening) it still shows the same status like ubonjoe posted a few posts up....that is, still working it or you are not eligible....standby to standby.   Maybe after this Wednesday/13 May which is another IRS deadline for people to enter direct deposit info the dam will break and a BIG bunch more payments will be scheduled for direct deposit or mailing.  And shortly (i.e., a few days later) Get My Payment will reflect scheduled payments for those who have been waiting and waiting, scratching their head as to why their payment has not been made yet like many people drawing SS who don't file returns.   See below 8 May IRS Press release.

TheHill press release on latest House stimulus bill

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/497351-house-democrats-unveil-3-trillion-coronavirus-relief-package

IRS 8 May Press Release

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/act-by-wednesday-for-chance-to-get-quicker-economic-impact-payment-timeline-for-payments-continues-to-accelerate

Not going anywhere and a waste of time

• Thanks 1

anybody receive theirs in the mail yet?  i was just able to use "Get My Payment" successfully for the first time having given up trying daily a few weeks ago.  it says they mailed it April 24th...  but its to my old apartment in another province!

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, accel said:

anybody receive theirs in the mail yet?  i was just able to use "Get My Payment" successfully for the first time having given up trying daily a few weeks ago.  it says they mailed it April 24th...  but its to my old apartment in another province!

The date it was mailed indicates that you filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019.

Is there anybody at your old apartment building you could contact to find out if they have it.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The date it was mailed indicates that you filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019.

Is there anybody at your old apartment building you could contact to find out if they have it.

There is no air mail between the USA and Thailand any mail goes by ship and that takes 3 months. Only entities like FedEx are are delivering.

9 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

There is no air mail between the USA and Thailand any mail goes by ship and that takes 3 months. Only entities like FedEx are are delivering.

Nope....mail is still arriving from the US to Thailand....got to letters from the US over the last week....took approx 3 weeks to arrive....normal time is 10-14 days based on past mailings.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That contradicts this on the get my payment frequently asked questions page. 

image.png.783fbf6c414ffbce07b1e5618a2d8567.png

Source; https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

And on the non filers site it states this.

image.png.223355ce4ad5a85a75a26a50c6981aa7.png

No contradiction really because the 8 May IRS press release is addressed towards "any and all" recipients vs just SS/SSDI/SSI/VA recipients.   Some recipients can still enter direct deposit info.   Seems to be mostly a last call for direct deposit info "if" a person is allowed to enter it.  

People should visit Get My Payment on IRS.gov by noon Wednesday, May 13, to check on their payment status and, when available, provide their direct deposit information.

Edited by Pib
  • Sad 1

It's not only Bangkok Bank.  I'm back in the US now and my SSA bank deposit details have changed to a US bank and I now receive my SSA payments there.  I have also been able to register with "MY Social Security" since I now have a US address.  I did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes and if I try to get information via the websites I get the message"Information not available for this SSA number' and have not received the stimulus payment either by mail at either my Thai or Us address or directly deposited into my bank account either here or in my BBL account which is still active.

• Thanks 1