Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Why does it that Nancy 1800+ pages to write a stimulus bill. It sounds like three layer pork with a lot of fat. If so it's a very dishonest effort to subvert needed funds from those in need. It's best to exclude oboma care and kenny performance center pork.

I think any bill with significant pork ( most of Nancy's BS) will be DOA in the Senate.

Or yea, it's DOA...Nancy knew it would be.  This is purely one side laying down a position to see put the side on the hot seat and get that side to offer up their own package.

Below TheHill article which just came out does a good job of summarizing the Senate's ideas....what they will probably offer up as a counter proposal.   

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/497467-senate-gop-crafting-wishlist-for-next-coronavirus-package

• Like 1
4 hours ago, andy said:

I also asked about giving them US bank account info, but that window has closed.

Shoot, finally after days of trying, Get Payment finally told me today that May 15 they'll mail a check to my recorded address. Dang, they have my US bank info from years of paying taxes. And yet they choose to mail a check to Thailand.

Maybe it's a mistake and just the language they use. Maybe fingers crossed late tomorrow night I'll receive a happy notification from my credit union. Or who knows when it will arrive.

Please let them know there are a lot of us that used the Get My Payment non filers site,including adding children, and haven't had any updates. Just the same............................

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

For more information about why you're receiving this message, see our Frequently Asked Questions.

You can check the application again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there's no need to check back more often.

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, andy said:

For anyone with no progress on their $1200 stimulus payment, the IRS is now staffing the overseas taxpayer phone number (267-941-1000) with real people.  They are helpful - spoke to someone and it turns out the IRS had truncated my (foreign) address to something totally nonsensical, which was why I could never access Get My Payment.  That didn't stop them from mailing a check to this address, but they did outline a process where this check could be reissued to an address of my choice.  I also asked about giving them US bank account info, but that window has closed.

Sorry that happened to you.  My address on my 1040 is missing the Tambon since you can only add City and Province.  Hope that still works.

I just talked to the IRS on the number that forum member "andy" gave out. (Thanks again) It did take two calls but I was able to give and get info. The lady I talked to was in Pennsylvania. After she understood where I was and what I wanted she verified over the phone my name, my SS# and my Thai address. I was told that the check was mailed to me at my Thai address May 1. I did fill 2018 but not 2019. As for the the usage of the IRS sit here in Thailand I still say its is NFG and very politely I let her know that and she did confirm that they have problems. I don't look for the check any earlier than the ended of next week. My experience with depositing a US Government check was to Bangkok Bank 2008 and it was instantly accredited to my account. That number again 267-941-1000 Be patient and it does work.

22 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

I just talked to the IRS on the number that forum member "andy" gave out. (Thanks again) It did take two calls but I was able to give and get info. The lady I talked to was in Pennsylvania. After she understood where I was and what I wanted she verified over the phone my name, my SS# and my Thai address. I was told that the check was mailed to me at my Thai address May 1. I did fill 2018 but not 2019. As for the the usage of the IRS sit here in Thailand I still say its is NFG and very politely I let her know that and she did confirm that they have problems. I don't look for the check any earlier than the ended of next week. My experience with depositing a US Government check was to Bangkok Bank 2008 and it was instantly accredited to my account. That number again 267-941-1000 Be patient and it does work.

So, without having to scan back thru this l....o....n....g thread, I "think" you said/implied earlier you were drawing social security but having it deposited in a US bank vs a Thai bank via ACH or IDD?   And on your 2018 return did it have any bank acct info on it for payment from or to Uncle Sam? 

Asking these questions to try to get a better idea of what might trigger a payment via mail vs direct deposit.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Pib said:

So, without having to scan back thru this l....o....n....g thread, I "think" you said/implied earlier you were drawing social security but having it deposited in a US bank vs a Thai bank via ACH or IDD?   And on your 2018 return did it have any bank acct info on it for payment from or to Uncle Sam? 

Asking these questions to try to get a better idea of what might trigger a payment via mail vs direct deposit.

I do not use ACH only my US bank that my SS is dd. Even thou by the IRS I do not have to fill I do every year. As for their web sit and they do agree it is NFG.

One aspect of the House bill, which hopefully will survive in whatever combined bill emerges, is this:

"The bill would also expand the pool of people eligible for checks to every qualified person on a tax return, meaning that one ineligible spouse wouldn’t interfere with the other spouse’s payment, and a social security number wouldn’t be a requirement to receive a payment."

Thus, the saga of having a wife with an ITIN screwing things up is being addressed -- at least in the House. But, the Senate will probably find a way to jettison this clause...

17 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

I do not use ACH only my US bank that my SS is dd. Even thou by the IRS I do not have to fill I do every year. As for their web sit and they do agree it is NFG.

Assuming you did not enter any bank info on your 2018  return, your payment pretty much follows the pattern of:

- the IRS first looks for a 2019 return and uses that banking/mailing info to deliver a stimulus payment

- then if no 2019 return on file, use 2018 return with that banking/mailing info to deliver a stimulus payment

- if no 2019 or 2018 return on file "and" if drawing SSA/VA benefits then the IRS uses SSA/VA  banking/mailing info to deliver a check

- if none of above then a person needs to file a 2020 return in early 2021 to get their stimulus payment

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, lexilis said:

I seems to the case that for someone that did NOT file 2019/19 taxes and who gets SSA via DD there has not one report of getting the stimulus amount either by DD or mail. Is this not true? 

I am not aware of any.

I am still waiting for info about mine.

• Like 1

You would think that since I filed April 12th through non filers,giving them my bank and daughters info, it would be an easy thing, but I and a lot of others are still waiting for any updated information regarding our stimulus, according to this...................

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the U.S. Department of the Treasury announced on April 1 that Social Security recipients will not be required to file a “simple” tax return in order to receive stimulus payments under the CARES Act. The announcement reverses guidance issued on March 30 by the IRS that individuals who haven't filed federal tax returns for 2018 or 2019 would need to file a simple return to receive payment. Many Social Security recipients aren't required to file tax returns based on their income levels.

"Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return do not need to take an action, and will receive their payment directly to their bank account,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.

The IRS says it will use the information in benefit statements for Social Security recipients and railroad retirees, known as Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099, respectively, to generate $1,200 stimulus payments for those who didn't file tax returns for 2018 or 2019. Payments will be issued as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as the beneficiary would normally receive their benefits. The vast majority of beneficiaries receive benefits by direct deposit.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not aware of any.

I am still waiting for info about mine.

Give em a call I did and it works. Even they admitted to me on the phone that their site is f$#@^% up. 

That number again 267-941-1000 Be patient and it does work.????

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

One aspect of the House bill, which hopefully will survive in whatever combined bill emerges, is this:

"The bill would also expand the pool of people eligible for checks to every qualified person on a tax return, meaning that one ineligible spouse wouldn’t interfere with the other spouse’s payment, and a social security number wouldn’t be a requirement to receive a payment."

Thus, the saga of having a wife with an ITIN screwing things up is being addressed -- at least in the House. But, the Senate will probably find a way to jettison this clause...

The part about: "...and a social security number wouldn’t be a requirement to receive a payment...." is probably going to be a hard one to get included in a final bill since that would result in payment to non US citizens or non-resident aliens which would surely draw a lot of opposition in the current day anti-immigrant line of thought by many groups.   They didn't allow it in the 2008 or 2019 stimulus laws...and would be extremely surprised if Congress/Administration allows it in the next stimulus law (assuming one gets passed which I think will). 

Basically a person with a SSN is a US citizen or is a resident alien (i.e., has a green card); a person with an ITIN is not a citizen or green card holder.....a foreigner.  Yes, a foreigner who may be the spouse or child of a US citizen, but still not a resident alien (i.e., living in the U.S.).

But the part about a mixed joint return (i.e., one spouse with SSN and one spouse with ITIN) where the person with the SSN currently doesn't give a stimulus payment I think the bill's desire to fix that to where the person with a SSN doesn't get a payment has a chance of being fixed.  

But hey, these same inequalities were raised right after the 2008 stimulus law....fixes were attempted but failed to pass....then people forgot about it.  And then the 2019 stimulus law requirements to receive a payment were basically a regurgitation of the 2008 stimulus law requirements.  Our elected representatives were made aware of the 2008 law iniquities but didn't attempt (or want to fix) those inequities in the 2019 stimulus law they overwhelming passed.  

Will be very interesting in what the next stimulus law ends up allowing/providing....I'm sure it will not be anything close to the election year pie-in-the-sky, chicken in every pot, helicopter money proposals we are currently reading about.

13 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Give em a call I did and it works. Even they admitted to me on the phone that their site is f$#@^% up. 

That number again 267-941-1000 Be patient and it does work.????

I will give it a try in few days if no info comes up.

I don't think that number would be of much help for those that did not file a tax return at this time. They apparently have done nothing for those getting it based upon a SSA-1099.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

My experience with depositing a US Government check was to Bangkok Bank 2008 and it was instantly accredited to my account.

Bangkok Bank did offer electronic check clearing for a short period of time but do not believe it is still available and have not seen it promoted for many years now.  If you have a US bank they often do offer such service however.  

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I will give it a try in few days if no info comes up.

I don't think that number would be of much help for those that did not file a tax return at this time. They apparently have done nothing for those getting it based upon a SSA-1099.

Which goes against his statement..........................."Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return do not need to take an action, and will receive their payment directly to their bank account,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.

17 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Which goes against his statement..........................."Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return do not need to take an action, and will receive their payment directly to their bank account,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.

They have already admitted they have not done them yet. 

"I was really surprised to find my $1200 check in my Bangkok mailbox today!"

Was this mailed direct from the U.S.? I seem to recall that at least some years ago in some countries Federal government checks were sent to the nearest embassy/consulate which remailed them locally.

By the way, that U.S. help number is open M-F 6am-11pm (ET).

4 minutes ago, taxout said:

"I was really surprised to find my $1200 check in my Bangkok mailbox today!"

Was this mailed direct from the U.S.? I seem to recall that at least some years ago in some countries Federal government checks were sent to the nearest embassy/consulate which remailed them locally.

By the way, that U.S. help number is open M-F 6am-11pm (ET).

Yes, directly to my Bangkok condo as best I can tell.  There is no Thai postmark.  However, they simply cut off the name of the soi I live on and my condo number on the address because it must have been too long.  Luckily both my postman and the condo front desk had the sharps to put it in my mailbox.  

Edited by ricklev
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok Bank did offer electronic check clearing for a short period of time but do not believe it is still available and have not seen it promoted for many years now.  If you have a US bank they often do offer such service however.  

I had as I remember 6 checks. Bank drafts, certified, personal and the IRS check. The IRS check was the only one with instant credit. All others took the normal 21 days for me. I remember the bank manager saying that all US government checks were automatically credited. No idea if that still holds true today. It would be nice if others who receive theses checks and deposit it in a Thai bank would comment as to waiting period.

Edited by khwaibah
1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

I had as I remember 6 checks. Bank drafts, certified, personal and the IRS check. The IRS check was the only one with instant credit. All others took the normal 21 days for me. I remember the bank manager saying that all US government checks were automatically credited. No idea if that still holds true today. It would be nice if others who receive theses checks and deposit it in a Thai bank would comment as to waiting period.

I called Bangkok Bank and they said that there was a $10 fee and it would take up to 45 days to clear.  The exchange rate is not that good either, but not horrible.  I told the customer service agent that it was a USA Treasury check, but I'm not sure if she understood that.

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

Yes, directly to my Bangkok condo as best I can tell.  There is no Thai postmark.  However, they simply cut off the name of the soi I live on and my condo number on the address because it must have been too long.  Luckily both my postman and the condo front desk had the sharps to put it in my mailbox.  

Kind of interesting to me.  Now that I know how they decided to write my address I was able to access the Get My Payment site and saw this message that had been waiting for me all along.  The simply shortened Mahadlekluang 2 at the end of my address to Mahadlekl        And that's it.  No way in a hundred tries would I have guessed that.  Strange decisions on their part about the address verification system.  

Payment Status

We scheduled your check to be mailed on April 24, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

I was really surprised to find my $1200 check in my Bangkok mailbox today!  Now I have to figure out how to deposit it. 

Great update!  At least there is hope for some of us, and really confirms that they will send a check overseas AND that we are still getting mail at this time.

26 minutes ago, andy said:

This is why almost nobody with a foreign address could log in.  They butchered my address and I only found out when I finally got through on the help line.  Looks like the limit is about 30 characters, then they just lop off the rest.

That was discussed earlier in this topic since you get a different message than the one most of us are getting.

Mine was short enough that it was still accepted the first time and then I reduced it some more. 

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

Kind of interesting to me.  Now that I know how they decided to write my address I was able to access the Get My Payment site and saw this message that had been waiting for me all along.  The simply shortened Mahadlekluang 2 at the end of my address to Mahadlekl        And that's it.  No way in a hundred tries would I have guessed that.  Strange decisions on their part about the address verification system. 

Can you show how you typed your address by using x's for letters and numbers.  Use an underscore for each space.

"ThaiVIsa Forum, Bangkok, Thailand" Would be

xxxxxxxx_xxxxx,_xxxxxxx,_xxxxxxxx

That might help others figure how to get their addresses to fit.

Edited by rabas