Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

The new stimulus proposal also has a clause that states a person must have lived in the US for 6 months from January 1st to June 30th to be eligible and did not leave the US for over 30 days. Have no clue how they would check or know that.

Sorry, I don't have the article that was in. So, I am assuming that if you have a Thai address, you're out of luck.

However, I'm sure the Senate will have their own ideas and regulations if it ever comes to pass.

5 minutes ago, morning glory said:

Yes, it was to my direct deposit account here via New York. 

When using the IRS "Get My Payment" website to check status of the payment, what does it say for you?   Does it say a payment was made or does it say something along the lines of the IRS is still working your payment/determining your eligibility?

10 minutes ago, morning glory said:

Yes, it was to my direct deposit account here via New York. 

Thanks for the reply.

I have the same type of account. I guess I will just have to wait for the SMS informing me it is in.

About to give up on checking the get my payment site for info.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Pib said:

Does the "Get My Payment" website show you getting the payment? 

If it does not....like maybe says they are still working on it/or you are possibly ineligible" then that means the site might not reflect a payment being made by direct deposit/mail when in fact one has indeed been made. 

Or said another way, the "Get My Payment" site is just giving bad payment info for some folks....I mean those folks who can get past the first screen that asks for SSN/DOB/Street Address/ZIP.   

I’ve never checked that site before.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The SSA website in a PDF file they updated on the 14th states the following on page 6. 

https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/assets/materials/economic-impact-payments-for-social-security-and-ssi-recipients.pdf

image.png.d88d4169c1e13ad715d831e146bea4c9.png

Now it is well past the 13th and as far as I know they have not been sent yet.

The quote above is talking about SSI (Supplemental Income - disabilities, etc.) NOT normal Social Security. For normal SS the same document states (for non-filers) on p 4 that:

"You should have received your $1,200 payment by the end of April in the same way you receive your Social Security benefit."

Since none of us in that situation has received a DD payment, that leads me to believe that they have mailed a physical check to those that did NOT use the "Non-Filers Enter Payment Info" site to enter bank information (even though they specifically said it would not be necessary for SS recipients who get there SS through DD). This would be the case if the IRS just could not figure out how to use the DD info that the SSA sent over. 

• Like 2
Just now, lexilis said:

The quote above is talking about SSI (Supplemental Income - disabilities, etc.) NOT normal Social Security. For normal SS the same document states (for non-filers) on p 4 that:

"You should have received your $1,200 payment by the end of April in the same way you receive your Social Security benefit."

Since none of us in that situation has received a DD payment, that leads me to believe that they have mailed a physical check to those that did NOT use the "Non-Filers Enter Payment Info" site to enter bank information (even though they specifically said it would not be necessary for SS recipients who get there SS through DD). This would be the case if the IRS just could not figure out how to use the DD info that the SSA sent over. 

But I and a lot of others here have used the non filers link, so where does that leave us? I had to go to non filers to add my daughters and banks info.

Edited by fredwiggy
19 minutes ago, lexilis said:

A even worse bit of nonsense on that page. Just got the pages mixed up. I am not aware of anybody that has gotten one yet.

image.png.f1fa9bd46151703d1bb778752177a9c8.png

• Like 2
On 5/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, morning glory said:

Actually, by mistake I used the non-filers site because I didn’t notice that it said you don’t have to use that site if you receive SS. My application was approved!

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

Thinking about these two cases, I would say morning glory's case is not an exception the the rule that no one here has received a payment through SS or based on SS DD information.  He simply gave banking info to the IRS, which happened to be the same BKK Bank where he gets SS DD.

But it proves they are willing to issue payments to those of us in the same situation.

I wonder if the delay past the "You should have received it by end April" is because of  the overseas transfer based on SS info, which could trigger a physical check.

In my case, I was able to enter my US bank direct deposit info, and then the next day the "Get My Payment" site said it would mail my check on 5/15.  Its been over a week and still no direct deposit payment, so I'm just going to assume a check is actually coming here to my Thai address.  

From the document Pib cited above we find at Q49:

A49. Most Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who receive a Form SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 have already been issued their Economic Impact Payment. You can check Get My Payment application for the status of your Payment.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Veteran benefit recipient will start receiving their Economic Impact Payments mid-May. They can check the Get My Payment application for the status of their Payment.

Note: The Get My Payment application will show “Payment Status Not Available” until the payment is being issued. This response does not mean you are not eligible or will not receive a Payment.

If you used the Non-Filers tool, however, your Payment will generally be issued within two weeks from the date when you used the tool.

They say "most... have already been issued their EIP". But none of us here in that situation have gotten a payment. So..... absolute SNAFU.

8 hours ago, rabas said:

Thinking about these two cases, I would say morning glory's case is not an exception the the rule that no one here has received a payment through SS or based on SS DD information.  He simply gave banking info to the IRS, which happened to be the same BKK Bank where he gets SS DD.

But it proves they are willing to issue payments to those of us in the same situation.

I wonder if the delay past the "You should have received it by end April" is because of  the overseas transfer based on SS info, which could trigger a physical check.

Actually, I gave my US account # on that website, not my Bangkok Bank account #. That’s why I thought I might get double payments, the one that would automatically arrive here via BKK Bank NY, which it did a few weeks ago, as well as another payment to my US account. But since my SS number was the same on both, I figured I would get only one payment,  which so far is the case, thankfully. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Pib said:

Several "added as of 15 May" Q&As regarding drawing SS/VA/RRB on the IRS Economic Payment website.  Probably worth a review of this fresh info.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center 

image.png.6e010a50e2dceddc012cff6a91d55395.png

It said most have already received their SS stimulus. Most  of us here still haven't                   A49. Most Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who receive a Form SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 have already been issued their Economic Impact Payment. You can check Get My Payment application for the status of your Payment...........................I applied April 12th, so it's over a month now

Edited by fredwiggy
2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It said most have already received their SS stimulus. Most  of us here still haven't                   A49. Most Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who receive a Form SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 have already been issued their Economic Impact Payment. You can check Get My Payment application for the status of your Payment...........................I applied April 12th, so it's over a month now

A48 is crystal clear. If you have not filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return and are NOT required to file, and you do not have a spouse or qualifying children to claim:

You do not need to take any action. You do not need to contact anybody. You will receive your payment the same way that you normally receive your SS payments. If by check then by check. If by card then by card. If by DD then by DD, etc.

A49. Most Social Security ... recipients who receive a Form SSA-1099 have already been issued their Economic Impact Payment. You can check Get My Payment application for the status of your Payment.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Veteran benefit recipient will start receiving their Economic Impact Payments mid-May. They can check the Get My Payment application for the status of their Payment.

Note: The Get My Payment application will show “Payment Status Not Available” until the payment is being issued. This response does not mean you are not eligible or will not receive a Payment.

If you used the Non-Filers tool, however, your Payment will generally be issued within two weeks from the date when you used the tool.

This may all explain why morning glory got his payment via BKK Bank earlier even though he entered a US Bank's information. 

Edited by rabas
Just now, rabas said:

The new A48 is crystal clear.

If you have not filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return and are NOT required to file, and you do not have a spouse or qualifying children to claim:

You do not need to take any action. You do not need to contact anybody. You will receive your payment the same way that you normally receive your SS payments. If by check then by check. If by card then by card. If by DD then by DD, etc.

A49

A49. Most Social Security ... recipients who receive a Form SSA-1099 have already been issued their Economic Impact Payment. You can check Get My Payment application for the status of your Payment.

Which was April 12th, listing myself and my qualifying child, along with my BB direct deposit information, which is why I don't understand why it's taking so long.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, SilverBlue said:

In my case, I was able to enter my US bank direct deposit info, and then the next day the "Get My Payment" site said it would mail my check on 5/15.  Its been over a week and still no direct deposit payment, so I'm just going to assume a check is actually coming here to my Thai address.  

I get SS through BBNY, paid axes 2018/19, and have EFT with IRS.  I talked with IRS and they said a check was mailed to Thailand on 15 May.  I assume it will take 3 weeks and then BB will charge me 300 baht to deposit it.  I could electronically deposit it to my US account but would rather have the money here.  Why IRS spends a fortune printing checks instead of EFT is beyond me.

I'm guessing those that filed up until 2019 will receive theirs first, then us that haven't filed for 2 or 3 years, especially on SS retirement, will get theirs, but my friend here,who is married but hasn't filed with his wife in 2 years, received his $1200 .He filed at least 2 weeks after I did. We both have dependent children,but he didn't get his sons credit yet, only his. Why I filed on April 12th and he gets his filing 2 weeks after mine I don't understand.

3 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

I could electronically deposit it to my US account but would rather have the money here.

You could easily Transferwise it here after online deposit - would likely be more baht total and no 45 (wait for poor exchange rate day) involved. 

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

I get SS through BBNY, paid axes 2018/19, and have EFT with IRS.  I talked with IRS and they said a check was mailed to Thailand on 15 May.  I assume it will take 3 weeks and then BB will charge me 300 baht to deposit it.  I could electronically deposit it to my US account but would rather have the money here.  Why IRS spends a fortune printing checks instead of EFT is beyond me.

When you check the IRS "Get My Payment" website to check on the status of your payment, does it say a check was mailed on 15 May?

From a Forbes article 2 days ago:

"No Tax Return + No Dependents: If you did not file a 2018 or 2019 tax return, and you have no dependents, then you should have already received your stimulus check by the same method you receive your Social Security benefits."

Yeah, well we all know this did not happen. At this point I think the best to hope for is that they mailed it at some point and maybe in a couple of weeks we will get it. Has anyone tried to get through to the IRS phone and ask them specifically about this situation?  

• Like 2
Just now, parallaxtech said:

It says "information incorrect."

Mine did the same thing, once, but now and all the other times it gives the same message a lot are receiving..............

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

For more information about why you're receiving this message, see our Frequently Asked Questions.

You can check the application again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there's no need to check back more often.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

It is probably due to the address line having to many characters in it. It is limited to 35 and that includes spaces.

Clicking the ? where the blue X is here gives this.

image.png.d0b431aa68cd2e42f9db8cc64e4031c9.png

Are you sure you entered the postal code correctly.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is probably due to the address line having to many characters in it. It is limited to 35 and that includes spaces.

Are you sure you entered the potal code correctly.

Hi UJ! Since a real person said that my check was sent on 15May and then read out my address in Thailand, I will just assume that it's coming.  SS has my Thai address, but IRS has only my UPS FL address, so I was surprised they went by the Thai address.  Once they see you're getting SS via EFT, they should save money and send it electronically.

Well, when a person does receive their stimulus check via snail mail and if deciding to cash it at Bangkok Bank, you can expect to pay Bt403 if wanting the check immediately deposited (cleared) to your acct...that is, you can have immediate access to the money....no check clearing time.   Or, $15 plus Bt3 if waiting for the check to clear.   And apparently your Bangkok Bank acct will need to be at least 6 months old.

I asked Bangkok Bank via email mid last week do they cash US Treasury checks and if so what is the fee.  Below is their response today.   And their response is in sync with my #785 post where I had reviewed/quoted several Thai bank fee schedules.

Now while several TV posters have mentioned the last time they cashed a US Treasury check years ago the fee was around Bt328/$10 the best they remember.  And I think someone posted they called their branch last week and the branch quote a Bt328 cost but the poster said he's not sure the branch rep really understood the question.  Maybe because I expect Thai banks rarely see US Treasury checks anymore due to almost all US govt payments being made by direct deposit/Direct Express Debit card now days.  That approx Bt$328/$10 indeed was the fee in past...specifically $10 plus Bt3....I remember that from old Bangkok Bank fee schedules.

Anyway, when and if your stimulus check shows up in your Thai mail box expect to pay around $15 or Bt403 to get it cashed at a Bangkok Bank branch depending on which clearing method your choose....and maybe you'll get lucky and only get charged around Bt328 if your branch is still using a fee schedule from 10 years ago.  ????

Thank you for banking with Bangkok Bank.

Reference to your enquiry, we can accept the foreign cheques from the customer who maintains the account not less than 6 months with Bangkok Bank.

The processing time is depending on the terms and conditions applicable to the correspondent bank which processes the cheque clearing and the ‘drawee’ bank in the country where the cheque was issued, foreign bank cheque can take more than a month to clear.

The fees when buying the foreign cheque and draft from customer below;

• Bangkok Bank advances the payment prior to collection from the foreign bank, 400 Baht plus 3 Baht stamp duty per draft.
  • Foreign bank returns the draft as it cannot be collected, 200 Baht per draft plus any additional fee imposed by the foreign bank. Bangkok Bank will also charge interest for advance payments to customers. The default payment loan interest rate is calculated from the date that the customer makes a repayment.
  • Bangkok Bank collects from the foreign bank before paying to the customer, USD 15 plus 3 Baht stamp duty per draft and any additional fees collected by the foreign bank.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also contact our phone banking center at +66-2645-5555 (from the overseas) or 1333 (from within Thailand), a 24/7 service to acquire more information. Thank you.

2 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks for giving the IRS "Get My Payment" status website a try.  Maybe you can try some other variations of your street address and get in.  But note with 3 incorrect tries you get locked out for 24 hours...then you can try again.  You also get locked out for 24 hours if just checking more than 5 times per day like when you can get past the initial identity verification screen.

I was hoping you could get past the the initial identity verification page where your SSN/DOB/St address/ZIP code are required to see if the status reflected a check mailing/direct deposit like the IRS rep told you on the phone.  If the site did reflect a check mailing status then that provides confirmation the status a person sees on that screen is the true status....same status as if they could reach an IRS rep.

But if it had reflected a status along the lines of below then that would mean a snail mail check could be on the way to many folks but the Get My Payment website simply isn't reflecting that status.  Was also hoping the TV poster morning glory might do the same check since he said he go his check to his Thailand address.

Payment Status Not Available

We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment.

•