Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I couldn't translate/interpret the exact meaning of their EN terms..

That's why I just posted a link to the document only!!!  :biggrin:

It's called bankster fee razzle-dazzle, smoke & mirrors, sleight of hand.

Edited by Pib
On 3/26/2020 at 6:49 AM, GregTN said:

I have not filed taxes since 2017 due to not meeting the threshold required and only collecting a company pension, no social security yet.  This morning I got on line and E-filed a 2019 tax return for zero tax refund/payment, included a US mailing address plus direct deposit information to my US bank.  It took about an hour to complete and might be an easy answer to receive it.  Time will tell.

yes and that has always been my recommendation.  File closes things out, and it documents your income level.  If collecting state benefits, or things from other agencies, they always ask for income.   Went through this with my Mom and oldest sister who said Mom doesn't need to file, she only gets SSA..  True but had all sorts of issues proving she gets no income without an official tax return. And the darn form is so short there is nothing to do!  Showing little income is good. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just to clarify.. I'm not sure if matters if they've ever actually done a direct deposit to you... but rather....whether you've ever listed your direct deposit info on a tax filing you've made to the IRS.... And I haven't seen any mention of how far back they might be planning to go in relying on taxpayers DD info.

Where would one list such information? I never have and don't remember seeing any place on a 1040 that asked for it.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The problem is lack of  flights to take the mail.

Read somewhere that DHL still works as they have their own planes but many other couriers might not

I may go into withdrawal for lack of my New Yorker magazines!!!

Thanks Sheryl. I would send it by DHL but the USPS has it now. I guess Ill pull out my tracker receipt and see what's going on.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Where would one list such information? I never have and don't remember seeing any place on a 1040 that asked for it.

It is right on the bottom of the form where you sign.  One line for the ABA routing number, one line for the bank account number. 

I've never listed a bank account on my tax return; if there's a refund I just carry it over to the next year.

But I do make estimated tax payments using Direct Pay, in which you give IRS your bank  account number and they take out the amount your specify.

Will this work for the $1200 payment. We'll have to see.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It is right on the bottom of the form where you sign.  One line for the ABA routing number, one line for the bank account number. 

Ah, I see.

I always have to pay, haven't had a refund in eons, that is why never saw it.

So I guess they don't have it for me.

My understanding from plenty of research is that expats who filed taxes for 2018 or 2019 will receive the stimulus money. If IRS has your bank details, they will do direct deposit. If not, they will mail you a check. For myself and everyone else who has never given the IRS any bank details, will the Thai postal system allow these checks into the country? My understanding is that no airmail from the US is permitted into Thailand right now. 

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

My understanding from plenty of research is that expats who filed taxes for 2018 or 2019 will receive the stimulus money. If IRS has your bank details, they will do direct deposit. If not, they will mail you a check. For myself and everyone else who has never given the IRS any bank details, will the Thai postal system allow these checks into the country? My understanding is that no airmail from the US is permitted into Thailand right now. 

It is not that it isn't permitted. It's that there aren't planes to bring it.

• Like 1

good news everyone!  the munchkin has spoken!

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a Sunday morning interview that qualifying Americans can expect to see their $1,200 checks deposited into their accounts "within three weeks."

Mnuchin, who played a lead role in the $2 trillion bill’s passage, told CBS’ "Face the Nation," that there will be an online system created so Americans who are not signed up, can do so and skip waiting for a physical check.

"We expect that within three weeks that people who have direct deposit information with us will see those direct deposits in their bank accounts," he said. "And we will create a web-based system for people where we don’t have their direct deposit they can upload it, so that they can get the money immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mnuchin-lays-out-when-americans-can-expect-their-coronavirus-rescue-package-checks

hqdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was thinking the SS administration,who sends payments to us abroad,would be doing this for us,as they are both sending our payments to our banks here,and have the information to do so,so we wouldn't need to get another account in another bank,like this seems,and then have funds transferred to our bank here.

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

And I assume those,like me,that are receiving SS through direct deposit,will get it that way,since SS has all of our details.

Not unless the payment is made through SS. No indication it will be.

Different parts of government don't interface/share data  well

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

How does getting an account through ACA help in any way? My understanding is that if your tax info had bank details - they’ll do a direct deposit. If not, they’ll mail it, but there are no planes, so yeah. They need to open a system that lets Americans living abroad confirm their ID and provide a bank account. Trying to send checks round the world when so many countries have shut down isn’t going to end very well. 

Apparently the credit union they have a relationship is able to "draw" the money directly. You'd have to create an account with that credit union.

I am hoping other US banks will follow suit but so far, no sign from either of mine

I am a U.S. citizen living in Thailand I have filed taxes every year, although, I do not know what address I have on file with the IRS. Does anybody know how I can check that and if I have a Thailand address on file will they send the check to Thailand? Thank you.

But it says SS people will get a check,those that haven't filed in 2018 or 2019. The IRS had my previous bank info,but I changed accounts.Same bank,different account. I'm sure they could see that if they wanted to,but sending it through my previous account wouldn't work. I read somewhere that SS would be handling this but don't remember where. I do have Bangkok bank,which has a branch in NYC,so they could go through that.

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
1 minute ago, Tahoe said:

I am a U.S. citizen living in Thailand I have filed taxes every year, although, I do not know what address I have on file with the IRS. Does anybody know how I can check that and if I have a Thailand address on file will they send the check to Thailand? Thank you.

If you haven't e-filed for 2019 do so now and include the bank information.  If you have, then file an amended return.

16 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

If you haven't e-filed for 2019 do so now and include the bank information.  If you have, then file an amended return.

Thank you cmarshall. I just checked. I filed for 2018, but not 2019. I noticed on my file that my accountant put in my Thailand address. Do you think that I need to change that to a U.S. address or will they send to Thailand? Thank you.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:34 PM, flexomike said:

How is Social Security taxed? ... You'll be taxed on: up to 50 percent of your benefits if your income is $25,000 to $34,000 for an individual or $32,000 to $44,000 for a married couple filing jointly. up to 85 percent of your benefits if your income is more than $34,000 (individual) or $44,000 (couple).Apr 9, 2019

As I said before, if you (single) only have SS income, no tax. The magic word in most of these articles is 'combined' income, implying more than 1 source of income.

If you don't believe that, fill out the tax calculation form of 23 questions, or whatever, entering ONLY Social Security earnings, and you'll see.

But, this doesn't apply to me anyway so I'll stop persuing truth now.

6 hours ago, jmccarty said:

ACA is assisting Americans abroad with the payment process.

Get your stimulus check here:

That's really just an article advertisement to open a State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) acct since SDFCU is expat-friendly.  I have an SDFCU acct and opened it last year using my Thailand address.  They are indeed expat-friendly.  

But simply having a SDFCU acct number (or any bank acct number) will not help in providing that acct number to the IRS for direct deposit unless you included that acct number on your filed federal tax return or using the acct number for current SSA/VA payments. 

Now if the IRS comes thru in allowing people to provide their direct deposit info on a new web site that IRS is supposedly developing for stimulus payments then being able to open a SDFCU acct (or any bank/credit union acct) would come in very handy...hopefully avoid a snail mail check.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tahoe said:

I noticed on my file that my accountant put in my Thailand address. Do you think that I need to change that to a U.S. address or will they send to Thailand? Thank you.

The IRS, which of course is part of the Treasury, does mail refund checks to foreign addresses: Here's what Turbotax has to say about it:

Yes - if you have an overpayment on your return, the IRS can mail a refund check to your foreign address, but it does not make direct deposits into foreign bank accounts. In the File section of TurboTax, indicate that you want a refund check, not a direct deposit into your bank account.  

Please ensure that you have entered your foreign address in the Personal Info section of the program properly.  In the Mailing Address section, you should have used the option for "Foreign country", instead of the default "U.S. address".  The IRS will send the refund check to the foreign address which you have entered.  The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

See no reason why stimulus checks would be treated any differently.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's all I saw Joe. Guessing no ones home for now.

Oh, I'm sure the IRS is home; it's just they are are trying to fully understand the stimulus payment law and how it interacts with other income tax laws/rules/polices......and what detailed procedures they are going to follow in making the payments.  Plus, supposedly trying to stand-up a website for people to enter direct deposit info if IRS/SSA/VA does not have your direct deposit info already. 

I sure there are a tons of details and tasks to work.  And they need to get it right otherwise payments will not get to people....or it will take months and months vs within three weeks like they keep saying....or a bunch of fraudulent payments will be made....or ????????

And when it comes to standing up that website for a person to enter direct deposit info, there is going to have to be some serious "identification verification" done; otherwise, bad guys are going to end up with payments meant for the intended people. 

Maybe that identify verification will just involve a person being able to answer past tax return info correctly....like what amount did you enter on line XYZ of the 1040 for tax year 2018.  But what if you didn't file a 2018 tax return...I guess then they could start reverting to questions from public records/credit reporting agencies.   Will be interesting in how they do it---assuming they really do stand-up such a website....they might end up deciding such a site would be too fraudulent  prone.

Here's my update. I read an excellent article on Forbes this morning. It said to keep checking https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus  There it said, in the coming days or weeks, would be details on how to file a simple tax return, if you've had no income or haven't had to file, in order to get the stimulus. It also said there'd soon be a place on the site for you to directly enter your bank account info in order to get direct deposit, if you can't get the check in the US, or aren't sure what address you have on file. This I think is especially important for poor blokes like us.

I just did my 2019 taxes via TurboTax yesterday. I declared my meager foreign income here as a teacher, which I have to do for my student loans. This puts me well under the limit for the stimulus. However this also means I don't get a refund, and have no way of putting in my bank info. This is a big prob TurboTax needs to address. Thus I filed with my mom's address, and hopefully the check will go there. Or I'm hoping, this new IRS site goes up soon for me to put in my bank acct, and I can get the direct deposit.

For you "expats shouldn't be getting it to spend in a foreign country" people: I've got a family here to support. I've got a wife I hope to bring back. I've got a mom back home who'll need taking care of eventually, and thus I'll be a member of the American economy once again. Not getting this help now will definitely affect my return.

• Like 1