Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

The check from the IRS will be drawn from the U.S. Treasury, so you will need to ensure that your bank will accept a check from the U.S. Treasury, denominated in U.S. Dollars.

I got a US check from an old job awhile back and looked into this. I found a TV post from a guy who said he got Bangkok Bank to take his. He said it took over a month to clear. He said all they did was mail it to their branch in New York. So, I called my old job, and told them to cut a new check and mail it to my mom's address. Then she mailed it to my bank. Got it in less then two weeks.

If you wind up with a US check, do it this way, or wait for the direct deposit option to open on https://irs.gov/coronavirus

• Like 1

Info is now on the IRS website here. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

This is important for those getting SS payments.

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tahoe said:

OK. Thank you for the information ????

Not so fast. 

Just heard this today. 

If this is true they won't be sending out physical checks to anyone. 

Instead if they don't have a bank on record you will need to provide that info to IRS. 

I assume however that it will need to be a US bank. 

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not so fast. 

Just heard this today. 

If this is true they won't be sending out physical checks to anyone. 

Instead if they don't have a bank on record you will need to provide that info to IRS. 

I assume however that it will need to be a US bank. 

That last part in the video (quoted below) about no checks by mail could definitely be interpreted that way....OR, it could be interpreted as IRS is going to develop the web-based portal for direct deposit info in order to allow a person to receive the payment via direct deposit versus by mail....still can't use the portal because you don't have a bank acct then the payment will be mailed.  

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

I think it's going to be latter because even in this day and age there are people who are "unbanked" and the govt pays them benefits each month like social security, VA, etc.   And they do this either by snail mail check or primarily use of the govt Direct Express debit card--no bank acct required to get this debit card.  The monthly benefit payment goes into the Direct Express debit card and the a person uses an ATM to withdrawal the money....but usage outside the use each ATM use comes with a $3 flat fee plus 3% fee of amount withdrawn along with any ATM use fee like the Thai bank Bt220 fee.    

Issue of such cards to make the stimulus payment is also supposedly being evaluated...but even the debit card has to go out via snail mail and then the person activates it.  

Will be interesting what the govt "finally" decides to do....exactly how to make payments to people with no direct deposit info/availability.  

• Thanks 1

Americans can expect coronavirus rescue checks 'within 3 weeks'

Published 1 day ago
GettyImages-81027601.jpg?ve=1&tl=1article

Photo by Jeff Fusco/Getty Images

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a Sunday morning interview that qualifying Americans can expect to see their $1,200 checks deposited into their accounts "within three weeks."

Mnuchin, who played a lead role in the $2 trillion bill’s passage, told CBS’ "Face the Nation," that there will be an online system created so Americans who are not signed up, can do so and skip waiting for a physical check.

"We expect that within three weeks that people who have direct deposit information with us will see those direct deposits in their bank accounts," he said. "And we will create a web-based system for people where we don’t have their direct deposit they can upload it, so that they can get the money immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

CLICK FOR LATEST UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS

Individuals are eligible for payments up to $1,200, but that decreases for those who earn an adjusted gross income of more than $75,000 a year. The bill says that the payment is reduced by five percent of every dollar above that mark, or $50 for every $1,000 above $75,000.

Mnuchin told "Fox News Sunday" that he believes that by the third quarter of 2020, Americans will see an economic recovery with production and employment levels back up.

GET THE FOX 32 NEWS APP

"I don’t know what the numbers are gonna be this quarter. What I do think is, we are gonna kill this virus," Mnuchin said. "We’re gonna re-open this economy. And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back with very large GDP numbers and low unemployment back to where we were beforehand."

More on FoxNews.com.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/americans-can-expect-coronavirus-rescue-checks-within-3-weeks?fbclid=IwAR2Gck_7wQ_KA-8oOU9KZdbK17S-r8-0MngSTUMm8CYEZFAYkenMXhRXfnM

4 hours ago, Pib said:

That last part in the video (quoted below) about no checks by mail could definitely be interpreted that way....OR, it could be interpreted as IRS is going to develop the web-based portal for direct deposit info in order to allow a person to receive the payment via direct deposit versus by mail....still can't use the portal because you don't have a bank acct then the payment will be mailed.  

I think it's going to be latter because even in this day and age there are people who are "unbanked" and the govt pays them benefits each month like social security, VA, etc.   And they do this either by snail mail check or primarily use of the govt Direct Express debit card--no bank acct required to get this debit card.  The monthly benefit payment goes into the Direct Express debit card and the a person uses an ATM to withdrawal the money....but usage outside the use each ATM use comes with a $3 flat fee plus 3% fee of amount withdrawn along with any ATM use fee like the Thai bank Bt220 fee.    

Issue of such cards to make the stimulus payment is also supposedly being evaluated...but even the debit card has to go out via snail mail and then the person activates it.  

Will be interesting what the govt "finally" decides to do....exactly how to make payments to people with no direct deposit info/availability.  

I use Direct Express for my SS benefits, but the IRS does not use them for tax refunds.

If you don't have a bank or debit card to give the IRS that has a bank number and routing number, you will get the stimulus by check in the mail only.

Direct Express, as of now, will not give you a routing number or account number to give the IRS even though that have that information as they use Comerica bank.

Sad but true.

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I use Direct Express for my SS benefits, but the IRS does not use them for tax refunds.

I expect they could with a policy change/waiver since the stimulus check is a unique payment....a once in blue month payment caused by a black swan event.   But if the govt has made the decision that the IRS is going to make the payments following current "income tax refund" methods then I expect it's going to come down to either direct deposit into a bank or via snail mail check "after a person has filed a 2018 or 2019 return." 

For folks who haven't been filing a federal return for years and years for whatever reason(s) I guess they need to study-up on filing a return if they want the stimulus payment.

Some good news....see Washington Post article below...have included some partial quotes from the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/01/bailout-checks-social-security/?tid=pm_pop&itid=pm_pop

Social Security recipients who don’t usually file tax returns will automatically get $1,200 payments, Treasury says in reversal

April 1, 2020 at 8:17 PM EDT

This story has been updated.

The Treasury announced late Wednesday that Social Security beneficiaries who typically do not file a tax return will automatically get the $1,200 payment.

The announcement is a reversal from earlier in the week when the Internal Revenue Service said everyone would need to file some sort of tax return in order to qualify for the payments. Democrats and some Republicans criticized the IRS for requiring so many extra hurdles for this vulnerable population to get aid when the government already has their information on file.

“Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action, and will receive their payment directly to their bank account,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.

Criticism poured in after the IRS posted a notice on its website on Monday instructing Social Security recipients who do not normally send in a return to file a “simple” tax return, which would be available soon.

And the IRS website now reflects the late breaking policy change.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments to recipients of benefits reflected in the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 who are not required to file a tax return and did not file a return for 2018 or 2019. This includes senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not otherwise required to file a tax return.

Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time.

Meaning since I haven't filed in two years,and my new daughter here nor my wife, hadn't been included in the last return I filed,I wouldn't receive anything for them ,unless I filed through the IRS coronavirus link,a simple return?The IRS had my previous bank information,but it's a new account(same bank ) now. SS has my new bank information through direct deposit. So if I do nothing,I'll get a check but not the extra for my wife and daughter.

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Meaning since I haven't filed in two years,and my new daughter here nor my wife, hadn't been included in the last return I filed,I wouldn't receive anything for them ,unless I filed through the IRS coronavirus link,a simple return?The IRS had my previous bank information,but it's a new account(same bank ) now. SS has my new bank information through direct deposit. So if I do nothing,I'll get a check but not the extra for my wife and daughter.

I read on one news release, that you need to be a US citizen, Permanent Resident and at least filed a 1040, married jointly or separately in 2018 or 2019.

So anyone who's expecting their Thai wife, living in Thailand and not included on their 1040, to receive a check may well, and rightly so, be outta luck

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I wouldn't receive for my wife,but I should for my daughter, a US citizen who I receive SS credit for also. SS has the details for this , as well as the IRS from the SSA-1099.

Yea, the wife will not receive a stimulus payment unless having a SSN....an ITIN is not good enough.  But you should receive an extra $500 for you child as long as she meets below IRS requirements. 

If I was you I would file a 2019 federal return to get your records with the IRS updated and to ensure you get the extra money authorized for your child.  I wouldn't count on the IRS figuring that out from SS records because various US govt systems simply do not interface/share data with each other or just partially interface/share data.   

Plus, SSA requirements to receive higher SSA payment due to your child might be different than IRS requirements for tax purposes. 

https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015899451-What-is-a-Qualifying-Child-

image.png.7e3e0b84307beb46b8d85d215df52f36.png

Edited by Pib

See 2 Apr 2020 news article weblink for full details as my cut and paste below only includes key paragraphs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/stimulus-20-weeks-irs/index.html

Washington (CNN)Americans likely won't begin to see direct payments from the coronavirus stimulus bill until at least April 13 and it could take 20 weeks for all the checks to be mailed, Trump administration officials told lawmakers, according to a House Democratic memo obtained by CNN.

He added that a web portal would be established for people to supply their details and that checks would be sent to anyone else, but did not specify a timeline.

Initially, the IRS will make about 60 million payments, likely in the week of April 13, for taxpayers who provided their direct deposit information through their 2018 or 2019 tax returns, the memo from the House Ways and Means Committee says.

Three weeks later, on the week

of May 4, the IRS expects to start issuing paper checks to individuals whose bank information isn't already on file, a process that will take much longer.

According to the committee, the paper checks will be issued at a rate of about 5 million per week, and that it could take up to 20 weeks to issue all the checks. Individuals with the lowest income, based on adjusted gross income, will receive their checks first.
The Ways and Means Committee memo detailed its understanding of the timeline based on "extensive" conversations with Treasury and IRS officials. It said that the timelines are subject to change.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Thanks Pib. I thought the same,when the link comes up

What do you mean by "...when the link comes up....?"   If you mean that simple tax return website the govt has talked about creating, I would not wait for that.  Just go to the IRS Free file weblink below and pick a free online product to file with.   Get your tax return efiled this weekend as your return should be really simple. 

Although I used a paid desktop HR Block Deluxe software package to prepare & efile my federal return this year ($30 for this federal return only desktop software which gives 5 free federal return filings) as I prefer/like having the tax software on my computer versus doing it online, I did test drive the FreeTaxUSA online tax filing website earlier this year and was extremely impressed.   The FreeTaxUSA website gets lot of good reviews.  Easy to use....gives enough help/assistance...etc.  I was going to use FreeTaxUSA to file this year to efile (would have been my first time using a online product vs desktop product) but then I found the HR Block desktop package on Amazon for only $30 I went with that since I like having the software on my computer/not needing an internet connection to work on the return.  

Yea, if I was you I would file now....at least maybe give one of those free online tax return products a test drive....complete your return with one of those....and then if feeling comfortable hit the efile/submit button.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

Edited by Pib
31 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I tried two of them,as another member suggested,but they both require a phone number.Mine is Thai,and i couldn't get a number with two sites he suggested. That link doesn't let you file from abroad

Try going directly to the FreeTaxUSA site at below link below vs via the IRS FreeFile link.  Going via the IRS FreeFile link seems to take a person to a different version of the FreeTaxUSA website.

https://www.freetaxusa.com/

You can file using a foreign address.

image.png.a7aebc16691a38ffbba2515fa82a9391.png

And you should be able to register an acct and logon using your email address, SMS (not sure about using an international number) and/or voice call (not sure about an international voice call).  But since it allows an email address then you should be good to go as I'm sure you have an email address that would work.

image.png.c1de3c5cb25895b4e9a307af7378a31b.png

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I tried two of them,as another member suggested,but they both require a phone number.Mine is Thai,and i couldn't get a number with two sites he suggested. That link doesn't let you file from abroad

i've used this one to file from thailand and from china.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd

i think during the electronic signature and transmission phase i entered a phone number.  if so, i used a relative's stateside number.  there was no ocd code to worry about.  all communications went thru email.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Just paper mail the stuff.  I filed paper here in the USA, not too many schedules.  got my money direct deposited in 3 1/2 weeks soup to nuts.  I know mail right now is a bit of an issue, but if you return is short and simple, just fire it off in the mail, with a few hail mary's, and knock on woods. 

Can I use FreeTaxUSA if I live at a foreign address?

Unfortunately, we don't support customers or preparers who are living outside the United States when they file their taxes, even if they lived in a US territory. Can't paper mail from here now.  Choudoufu, that one works,but still haven't received my daughters SS number from SS
Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Can I use FreeTaxUSA if I live at a foreign address?

Unfortunately, we don't support customers or preparers who are living outside the United States when they file their taxes, even if they lived in a US territory. Can't paper mail from here now.  Choudoufu, that one works,but still haven't received my daughters SS number from SS

I found it,so will try today. Never filled out a form before,always had a preparer do it

I've seen quite a few accounts of Secretary mnuchin being quoted that payments will begin on April 9, and most Americans (with bank account routing info) should receive their payment(s) by April 17.

I'm guessing that they will use the 2018/2019 1040 first, then default to the SSA?

My 2018 and 2019 refunds (haven't received the later yet) are routed to one account, while my SSA benefit is routed to a different account.

Edited by mtls2005

Rec'd below SSA email today....reconfirming what's on the IRS website if a person is drawing social security and has "not" filed a 2018/2019 tax return that you will still get a stimulus payment.  Now whether that would be only a $1,200 payment or say a higher payment including any child you are also receiving additional SS benefits for I could not say as SSA and IRS requirements for qualifying children under SSA and the IRS may  be different. 

I will point out the email below only says $1,200....if they were also going to include a extra $500 for each qualifying child I would think they would have included that language below.   But hey, maybe they will include extra for any child listed on your SSA benefit.     

It will also be the US Treasury/IRS making this payment based on your SSA info; not the SSA.  See the link at the very bottom for more info.   So, don't expect a higher SSA monthly payment; expect a separate payment.

Yeap, to ensure a person gets the full stimulus amount authorized they really should get a 2018/2019 return filed.

image.png.4b9830ccda9b689e59d2ad494c54e7ef.png

image.png.eb27064a1acc582bf4ee5f15cd0f0d60.png

See this link for more info...it's the link highlighted in the message above.  I also quoted part of it below.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/2020/#4-2020-1

Treasury, not Social Security, will make automatic payments to Social Security beneficiaries. Beneficiaries will receive these payments by direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their Social Security benefits.

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Just paper mail the stuff.  I filed paper here in the USA, not too many schedules.  got my money direct deposited in 3 1/2 weeks soup to nuts.  I know mail right now is a bit of an issue, but if you return is short and simple, just fire it off in the mail, with a few hail mary's, and knock on woods. 

Paper mail is via ship currently - if even accepted at all.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

It will also be the US Treasury/IRS making this payment based on your SSA info; not the SSA.  See the link at the very bottom for more info. 

I saw all of that on the treasury and SSA sites this morning.

This line put a smile on face.

"Treasury, not Social Security, will make automatic payments to Social Security beneficiaries. Beneficiaries will receive these payments by direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their Social Security benefits."

Now the question I have is will it be sent in the IAT format needed for transfers via Bangkok Bank in New York.

I think I will email New Your about it. Maybe they will make an exception if not in the IAT format since it is a one time emergency transfer.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I saw all of that on the treasury and SSA sites this morning.

This line put a smile on face.

"Treasury, not Social Security, will make automatic payments to Social Security beneficiaries. Beneficiaries will receive these payments by direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their Social Security benefits."

Now the question I have is will it be sent in the IAT format needed for transfers via Bangkok Bank in New York.

I think I will email New Your about it. Maybe they will make an exception if not in the IAT format since it is a one time emergency transfer.

I haven't seen any post where Bangkok Bank rejected any govt payments, repeat, govt payments due to not being in ACH IAT.   Now seen quite few posts where ACH transfers not in IAT format sent from a person's financial institution like a bank are now rejected.    Maybe there I have been some posts talking their govt payments being rejected and I just haven't seen them.

Personally I doubt all govt payments are in ACH IAT format especially for those folks who do not use their foreign address on their SSA, DFAS, VA, etc., payments.  When it comes to enforcement of this ACH IAT policy I think Bangkok Bank has developed (got blessed) other methods to satisfy the US Treasury when it comes to govt payments not in ACH IAT format.  But that is just my opinion....got no facts to back it up.

But one thing for sure, Bangkok Bank rejects any "monthly/reoccurring ACH" payment, whether in IAT or non-IAT format,  if it's not going into their special direct deposit acct.   While they may not reject the first couple payments they will spot it eventually, block the payment, put it on hold, send you a letter the payment is on hold for approx two weeks and unless you come in an open a special direct deposit acct to put the money it they will reject it back to the govt agency that sent it.   I got one of those letters years ago when I tried to have my mil retirement monthly payment go into my Bangkok Bank regular savings account.  First payment got thru....but then the caught me the second month and sent me the letter.

However, when it comes to a "one time govt payment" I don't know what Bangkok Bank may do.  It may be coded in a way that will not raise any flags at Bangkok Bank....or maybe due to the uniqueness of this one time black swan event payment Bangkok Bank will just look the other way/allow it through.   Because if Donald found out Bangkok Bank blocked any stimulus payments he would surely go on a tweet storm against them.

Edited by Pib

I may be in "no man's" land.

I get SSA and I filed my 2018 taxes. I do not have a bank on file with the IRS, but I get my SSA thru Direct Express.

IRS does not use Direct Express for refunds but now they say SSA people will get their stimulus the same way as SSA pays.

I have 2 dependents of my wife and son, so I should get $2,900 total.

Will they use 2018 return and take the SSA info for my payment with Direct Express?

Will they just issue me a check instead of Direct Express?

Will they just give me $1,200 from SSA and I lose my 2 dependents?

Oh the bureaucracy of it all. No man's land for sure!