Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

The delay has nothing to do with the actual transmission of funds. Checks move electronically these days and the Feds paid the check weeks ago.

Your bank is delaying payment because there's a theoretical legal risk the Feds could later reverse the payment, on the grounds your endorsement was forged for example.

Some foreign banks will make a big deal of this risk and hold up payment for six weeks or more. Others are more reasonable, especially if you're a longterm client.

But regardless, banks never admit they do have the money but are holding it.

10 hours ago, taxout said:

The delay has nothing to do with the actual transmission of funds. Checks move electronically these days and the Feds paid the check weeks ago.

Your bank is delaying payment because there's a theoretical legal risk the Feds could later reverse the payment, on the grounds your endorsement was forged for example.

Some foreign banks will make a big deal of this risk and hold up payment for six weeks or more. Others are more reasonable, especially if you're a longterm client.

But regardless, banks never admit they do have the money but are holding it.

Which is probably why one branch said it would clear on May 23. If they know the actual date they surely have the funds as a guess wouldn't work in this instance.

I got my checks physically mailed to me here in Thailand.  Why I don't know.  My tax refund was made via direct deposit but the stimulus checks came in the mail.  I use a USA bank that has the app that allows you to deposit checks electronically by snapping a photo of the check so each time I just deposited them via my smart phone and funds were available the following day. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was told that the stimulus check was taking longer to clear, on this past Thursday inside our local Bangkok Bank branch, due to Bangkok Bank staff "working from home in Bangkok".  I could not do that slick "photo of a check" deposit with my USA bank since the check is made out to my wife and my name. Hence one must just wait is my only conclusion.  I am just delighted to have received the two checks, considering I file jointing with an ITIN of my wife. I hope our checks clear sooner than Moderna vaccine arrives in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

If you want your check to clear fast with BBL. Contact them daily after 2 weeks. Show your dissatisfaction on their FB pages.

My first stimulus check cleared in 13 days with BBL last year in June.

2nd I deposited via mobile banking to my US account and it was cleared in 3 days.

Third check ($2800) I deposited to BBL Silom HQ on 5 May and my funds were deposited to my BBL account on 27 May.

2 weeks after my  5th May deposit I started to call BBL every 2 days and sending them online banking messages. Some staff told me it takes 2-3 months to clear, I told them send the check back to me. Then they said it takes 1 month.  I told them first check cleared in 13 days and I would like someone explain the process in detail. They said someone will call me the next day. When no one called, I called again and demanded to talk to a manager in foreign wire dept. I posted my ratings and experience on their FB pages. BBL quickly called me on 24th May and told me that I will get my deposit on 27 May before 4 pm.  3:50 pm the deposit arrived. BBL called me at 5pm to make sure I saw that the deposit arrived as they have promised. 

If you wait patiently they will use your money for 2-3 months interest free, before you get your funds.

1 hour ago, pon2007 said:

If you want your check to clear fast with BBL. Contact them daily after 2 weeks. Show your dissatisfaction on their FB pages.

My first stimulus check cleared in 13 days with BBL last year in June.

2nd I deposited via mobile banking to my US account and it was cleared in 3 days.

Third check ($2800) I deposited to BBL Silom HQ on 5 May and my funds were deposited to my BBL account on 27 May.

2 weeks after my  5th May deposit I started to call BBL every 2 days and sending them online banking messages. Some staff told me it takes 2-3 months to clear, I told them send the check back to me. Then they said it takes 1 month.  I told them first check cleared in 13 days and I would like someone explain the process in detail. They said someone will call me the next day. When no one called, I called again and demanded to talk to a manager in foreign wire dept. I posted my ratings and experience on their FB pages. BBL quickly called me on 24th May and told me that I will get my deposit on 27 May before 4 pm.  3:50 pm the deposit arrived. BBL called me at 5pm to make sure I saw that the deposit arrived as they have promised. 

If you wait patiently they will use your money for 2-3 months interest free, before you get your funds.

Exactly. If you don't pester them, they use your money, that you need, for interest. My first check took 7 weeks to clear. Waiting on second one, and if it doesn't clear soon (17 days now), I'm going to start calling again.

• 3 weeks later...

No...  ditto,,,  Been stuck in Thailand since Feb...  Paid Taxes 2 yrs in a row from here via electronic transfer... so then have my information... however, no funds sent back to my account...

On 5/30/2021 at 6:33 PM, mackayae said:

Never got any stimulus checks. Did check the box on my 2020 tax return which asked if you did not get a stimulus check.