Situation for Udon Thani

Besserwisser

Hello and best of days to you all!

I am new to this forum and joined mostly out of interest for my wife`s hometown of Udon and my own Wants to know it all attitude!:-)

I just wonder if things are alright there now and people thai are behaving well in all matters of the word?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Looking from the numbers, Thai's seem to be doing exceedingly better than the Western nations. 

Yes i have the same impression too.But i am in my homecountry with my wife and am curious if you or any in the forum are in Udon Now and can tell maybe a little about the situation there now?I have mother and father inlaw there and frankly i worry a little bit about them at present.My wife she seems to take all this in stride (the thai way maybe and not worry(Not to show me anyway)????

I'm in Udon Province and the only mask I've seen in the last week was a tractor driver protecting himself from the dust that his machine was throwing up.

I think the response from the Isaan people has been very good. They have not been taken in by the propaganda and nonsense spouted out by mostly western 'authorities'.

Thailand is number 47 in the world at the minute. Expect that mark to slip down as the C-19 gets a reputation as the devastating killer of our time.

To the OP I say that your wife will be fine.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to Udon for a while (for obvious reasons).

From hearsay there seems to be no particular chaos.

So far not even alcohol ban. Free travel by car.

Far from the situation in the south and Bangkok.

No Phuket style hysteria (like a nuclear incident).

• Thanks 1

I cannot answer your enquiry directly, but I live in Isaan just outside a small to medium size town a long way from Udon.  My experience is that the by and large the authorities locally and nationally and the local people are taking the situation very very seriously and are responding to it vigorously.

We have yet to hear from anyone locally who knows of even one case in the area.

I know that my contribution to this thread is all anecdotal, based on nothing more than hearsay, but nonetheless I'm comforted and encouraged by the local response to the virus.  Relatives of ours elsewhere in Isaan report similar news.

I'd much rather be here than in Europe or the USA right now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I'm in Udon Province and the only mask I've seen in the last week was a tractor driver protecting himself from the dust that his machine was throwing up.

Not in Udon but out in sticks, small group of villages.

Here masks are quite common.

And do not even think of visiting a fresh market without masks AND gloves.

There is a guy with a megaphone, uniform with seal of the interior ministry reminding about the rules.

I got used to the masks but Friday I unwittingly walked to the market with the mask and daughter panicked seeing me without gloves. New rule :dry:

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

So far not even alcohol ban.

Banned now, wife just been out to buy! even the small shops out in the sticks where we are would not sell! 

They could have at least told us :shock1:

Masks are quite common in Udon City and the surrounding areas.  Of course there are also plenty of less than smart young people who think this is all some kind of video game to be played on the "stupid phone".  You can't enter a 7/11, Tesco, Tops, Telewiz, All the banks, Big C, or Makro without havining your temperature taken, sanitizing your hands and wearing a mask.  There is NO propaganda Owl this is serious and deadly or haven't you noticed the number of infected and dead throughout the world. 

• Like 2

I have lived in Udon for 11 years. Here bars had closed before the emergency decree and businesses that were 24 hours (7-Eleven, McDonalds, etc.)  were ordered closed 10PM to 5AM before was a National curfew. Anyways.. Now Alcohol is banned 11-30th. In the city everyone wears masks. Temp gets taken to enter almost everywhere; social distancing set up at banks etc. Most restaurants are takeout and delivery only. Is still a few markets where stands are near each other, and a few places to eat that are not distant (only a few). Many of the big hotels have been ordered closed. Some are set up on govt. contracts. For example, Prajaktra Design Hotel is being used for any medical workers that require quarantine. Curfew STRONGLY enforced.

• Like 2