Reporting a birth to the US Embassy

cycolista

The girlfriend had a baby (mine) last month so I'm trying to go through the process of getting him US citizenship so I'm looking for advice from anyone whose already done this.  I downloaded the checklist and other forms from the website but I'm not sure why some of the things they require are relevant to my son.  For example, they require a divorce decree I assume from my previous marriage and date we were married.  I don't remember the date or even the year we married and I no longer have the decree. Plus I'm finding it almost impossible to get a copy from the courthouse in the states that issued the decree since they won't answer their phones or respond to the emails I send, probably due to Covid-19.  So my question, how important is it for me to include the divorce decree.  

They are also asking for precise periods of time I spent abroad while in the US Armed Forces, That would be 13 years out of my 23 year career.  I don't remember the exact dates and am only vague on the exact years.  Can anyone tell me how important is it to be precise?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot see that the divorce decree is required reading the checklist and the DS-2029 form that I opened using the links on the embassy website.

I don't think you would be expected to be that precise about the dates you were abroad when you were in the military. I am certain they do not verify them.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot see that the divorce decree is required reading the checklist and the DS-2029 form that I opened using the links on the embassy website.

I don't think you would be expected to be that precise about the dates you were abroad when you were in the military. I am certain they do not verify them.

The checklist I downloaded states divorce decree (if applicable) just under “marriage certificate”.  Unfortunately it doesn’t give any more details. 

• 1 month later...

I went through this process 3 times.

You do need to complete the section in the application for times you were out of US but they can't check thoroughly as they will only have the application 15 minutes before the interview so a "close" estimate is probably fine.  One thing that is very important is proof you were living in US for minimum of 5 years.  This is little tuff as how do you prove you were in US for 5 years.  I used college transcript.  You may be able to use military records records.

The hardest part is getting everything in the package they ask and going into the embassy from Udon.  If you can check all the checklist boxes the interview is  or was for us fairly easy.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, cycolista said:

The checklist I downloaded states divorce decree (if applicable) just under “marriage certificate”.  Unfortunately it doesn’t give any more details. 

Get your application as close as possible and submit it.  From gaining both my sons "Australian citizenship by descent" i found the variation between the 2 were substantial and i'm guessing its up to whoever reviews your application as to what they pick on.  During the application for my second son it became very drawn out and i was getting asked for irrelevant documents, i politely reminded immigration that my son's Great Grandfather fought the Japanese for the Australian Government during WW2 and if alive today would like to see his Great Grandson receive his birth right of Australian citizenship, it was approved the next day.

Edited by BeltAndRoad
  • Thanks 1