Goats again plus Sheep

I‘be been trying to source goats and sheep for months. Just found out there’s a farm 10 km from home. Guy sent me some photo’s. They look OK and well fed. He mainly sends them live to Bangkok. I told him, after the current situation is resolved I would contact him again to do some business.

Area is Nakhon Ratchasima.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Last year there was a thread on TV from a guy who wanted to source goat meet. I can’t find the Topic so I just put this up for interest.

Yes, but there's no interest as we don't know what you want, there are goats all over Thailand, I have about 60, so what is the point of the post please?.

• Sad 1

Why does there need to be a question? The OP posted this as a point of interest, he is telling as what he is doing , and I am sure would appreciate a conversation and perhaps some advice from those with experience on the subject. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Why does there need to be a question? The OP posted this as a point of interest, he is telling as what he is doing , and I am sure would appreciate a conversation and perhaps some advice from those with experience on the subject. 

Thanks for that. Talk about shooting the messenger 

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Yes, but there's no interest as we don't know what you want, there are goats all over Thailand, I have about 60, so what is the point of the post please?.

Hi mate. Let’s cut out the middle man. Where are you in Nakhon Ratchasima ? I’ll pop over tomorrow and pick up a couple. Can you confirm they’ll be all ready for the freezer.

We have a lot of goats in this area,I would say all are for meat ,have known two farms milking them

,looking at those photos they are well short on trough space,a lot of competition for food ,the smaller ones would lose out due to bulling, that grass is Para Grass,Yar Con in Thai a bit past its best for feed value ,over all they look a bit thin .

In this area most goats are feed on the tree legume  Leucaena Leucolephala or Gratin in Thai,cut from the road sides and field corners they seem to do well on it.

Sheep in Thailand is a bit of an odd ball a few about ,the Muslims would buy them, never seem to see many lambs, maybe not the rams about.they are a sheep thread on TV, going back a long time 

I am in Lopburi province ,if the op wants to pm when the world get back to normal I will ask about and see if any are for sale, 

The shed is up in the air, goats do not like wet conditions ,leads to coccidosis and other  diseases. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kickstart said:

We have a lot of goats in this area,I would say all are for meat ,have known two farms milking them

,looking at those photos they are well short on trough space,a lot of competition for food ,the smaller ones would lose out due to bulling, that grass is Para Grass,Yar Con in Thai a bit past its best for feed value ,over all they look a bit thin .

In this area most goats are feed on the tree legume  Leucaena Leucolephala or Gratin in Thai,cut from the road sides and field corners they seem to do well on it.

Sheep in Thailand is a bit of an odd ball a few about ,the Muslims would buy them, never seem to see many lambs, maybe not the rams about.they are a sheep thread on TV, going back a long time 

I am in Lopburi province ,if the op wants to pm when the world get back to normal I will ask about and see if any are for sale, 

The shed is up in the air, goats do not like wet conditions ,leads to coccidosis and other  diseases. 

Excellent post. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, kickstart said:

Noted that you are not far from me. (Phimai)
You mention that the goats in your area are mainly for meat.

I’m trying to locate a licensed slaughter house in my area without success. I’ve googled slaughter houses in Korat without any luck.

I’ve visited the local agriculture and animal welfare government offices who told me that there was no call for goat meat and no slaughter houses where licensed.

i also spoke to Muslims In the area but again no help. I even went to our local Police HQ for any advice. They only said, that there was a bust a couple of years ago at an illegal slaughter house. This might have something to do with the lack of help from the Muslim community !

One thing to add, the farm tells me they are licensed. They said they have regular visits from the government who take blood samples. I did note the when I visited the farm, some goats where tagged.
I would welcome any suggestions.
The search goes on. Cheers

Most of the  goats in this area are taken else where for slaughter ,we do have a slaughterhouse in this area it does cattle and pigs .

If any goats are slaughtered it would be like with pigs ,most villages will have a man that will do the deeds a couple of hundred baht, job done.

As for the farm being registered ,that will probably be with the local DLD office Department of Livestock development ,the blood tests are probably for TB, the ear tags will be for identification, was it only the female breeders with ear tags.    

Thanks for that. The goats that where tagged where smaller so I assume they where female Spoke to the farm this morning and they said that the Vets who done the tests came from our town. I will go to their office tomorrow to see if they can help.

Plan B wold be the man from the village.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:47 PM, kickstart said:

Most of the  goats in this area are taken else where for slaughter ,we do have a slaughterhouse in this area it does cattle and pigs .

If any goats are slaughtered it would be like with pigs ,most villages will have a man that will do the deeds a couple of hundred baht, job done.

As for the farm being registered ,that will probably be with the local DLD office Department of Livestock development ,the blood tests are probably for TB, the ear tags will be for identification, was it only the female breeders with ear tags.    

Went to the DLD office this morning and they confirmed that the farm is registered and Vets visited. The office manager said that there was a Muslim community some 30 km who had access to a slaughterhouse.

He also gave us the contact number of the Vet involved.
Spoke to him and he said he could arrange the dispatch of the goats.. 
I’ll negotiate a price for this and the transport from the farm.

The farm wants 150 Baht a kilo live weight (male) 20 to 30 kilos. Looking on the Internet it says expect a dead weight of 50%. I can live with that. £25 a kilo in UK. Have not ordered a bigger freezer yet. Just in case it goes pear shaped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, jmccarty said:

I could do with a decent mutton vindaloo!

Finally got my Goat delivered this morning.

Cost of beast 150 Baht a Kg live weight 20 kg. 3000 Baht. Dead weight 11 kg.

Transport and dispatch/butchered 1000 Baht

Total 4000 Baht. 365 Baht a kilo.

Curry tomorrow.

54E9FDE8-EA7B-40FC-A31E-D3347FC0A0A6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, kickstart said:

The seeds in the unripe pod make good foraging for humans too. My wife puts them in jrt som tam. I just nosh on them. Unfortunately the season for unripe pods is virtually over now.

Edited by jordanmarcinkus
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jordanmarcinkus said:

The seeds in the unripe pod make good foraging for humans too. My wife puts them in jrt som tam. zo just nosh on them. Unfortunately the season for unripe pods is virtually over now.

Just googled the pod and we have them in our back garden. Cheers

10 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Just googled the pod and we have them in our back garden. Cheers

Are they still green?

I should add that they have quite a strong aroma and can impart to your breath an aroma that is quite interesting.

Edited by jordanmarcinkus

1 hour ago, jordanmarcinkus said:

The seeds in the unripe pod make good foraging for humans too. My wife puts them in jrt som tam. I just nosh on them. Unfortunately the season for unripe pods is virtually over now.

Not around here, we have them for most of the year for cattle, and they like them, a bit short now  for humans to eat  the wife had some last week, a bit more rain, and they will soon be back.