Half Thai - how do I apply for a Thai birth certificate & passport if born in 1994

RedSea

I am 25 years old. My mother is Thai and my father is British and I was born in U.K. I would like to get a Thai passport (so I will have dual passports uk and Thailand). I have read the information on the Thai embassy's website in London. To do this it says I need to apply for a Thai birth certificate first? It says if you are born before 1992, you have to provide a list of documents and your parents have to go to the embassy. I was born in 1994 so I don't have to do this, but it doesn't give any further information on how I can apply for one at this age? I have all my mums Thai documents scanned as proof and my birth certificate. Can anyone let me know how to go about this? My parents s are divorced and I haven't seen in him in 15 years so I don't have a copy of his British passport or anything like that. The other section states to get a Thai passport you must have a Thai registration or Thai ID card but obviously I don't have either. If anyone has been through the same thing or could please offer advice would be much appreciated 

I think you're confusing passport with nationality. You must get Thai nationality before you get a passport. I did this for my Welsh born daughter about 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, amongst other things you will need a verified copy of your UK birth certificate and a verified translation of that into Thai. I think also all your mum's marriage and divorce documents, and all of her Thai documents. In the end it wasn't that difficult, just a lot of running around in London, which will be completely impossible right now. Getting the passport should be easy after that.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think you're confusing passport with nationality. You must get Thai nationality before you get a passport. I did this for my Welsh born daughter about 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, amongst other things you will need a verified copy of your UK birth certificate and a verified translation of that into Thai. I think also all your mum's marriage and divorce documents, and all of her Thai documents. In the end it wasn't that difficult, just a lot of running around in London, which will be completely impossible right now. Getting the passport should be easy after that.

If the mother is Thai, the OP is already a Thai national by birth and just needs to register as such.

That will involve taking a full birth certificate along with the other forms highlighted in other posts to prove that the mother was Thai. The OP will then be issued a Thai Birth Certificate by the embassy. This can then be used to apply for a passport, get an ID card and add their name in a house book. Although I think those last two can only be done in Thailand.

At 25, the OP was presumably born in 1994 or early 1995, so shouldn't need both her parents to attend the embassy to register the birth. (If the OP was older than 27, both parents would need to attend to get the Thai birth certificate, and if younger than 20, both parents would need to attend to get a passport, so seems to be in the narrow age gap where the OP can do it all without dragging their parents along). - Although it may still be useful to drag along the mother if their Thai reading ability isn't up to reading the forms to know where to sign.

23 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

If the mother is Thai, the OP is already a Thai national by birth and just needs to register as such.

That will involve taking a full birth certificate along with the other forms highlighted in other posts to prove that the mother was Thai. The OP will then be issued a Thai Birth Certificate by the embassy. This can then be used to apply for a passport, get an ID card and add their name in a house book. Although I think those last two can only be done in Thailand.

At 25, the OP was presumably born in 1994 or early 1995, so shouldn't need both her parents to attend the embassy to register the birth. (If the OP was older than 27, both parents would need to attend to get the Thai birth certificate, and if younger than 20, both parents would need to attend to get a passport, so seems to be in the narrow age gap where the OP can do it all without dragging their parents along). - Although it may still be useful to drag along the mother if their Thai reading ability isn't up to reading the forms to know where to sign.

I got my sons passport by going to the Thai embassy in Wellington when he was one yr old.

If the mother is Thai no problem , if the father was Thai and mother English then they tend to make more fuss.

I needed to have mother present with her passport and my sons birth certificate which had already been registered at the Thai embassy from the original NZ one when he was born, so I havbe a certified Thai birth certificate.

I took both and the mother with her Thai ID card and me with my Passport and no problems at all.

Perhaps you should call the embassy first to clarify but as long as you have your Birth certificate and your mothers passport and official copie of your ID and whatever they ask for you should have no problem.

Ring them and ask as ,for me Wellinton was a 400 mile trip.

Good luck, but a previous poster did mention military service so check that out as well I don't know the age that that expires.

Better to get the passport now as the older you get the harder it gets.

We did this same thing for our two luk krung boys when they were 4 & 2.  Both were born in the USA.  We went to the Thai Consulate in Chicago and submitted all the paperwork that they requested.  Mother's Thai passport, Thai ID card and a copy of her house registration along with a copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of my birth certificate and passport.  Why they needed all my documents I don't know but we had them.  This was in 1989 so I'm sure the rules and regulations have changed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for getting back to me.

i don’t have contact with my father so I wouldn’t be able to get his details if I had to, but I am sure I can mention this to the embassy.

i am not sure what is meant by military service though? Is there an expiration or something on getting a Thai passport?

i think as my mum is already a Thai national, I should be able to just provide the documents in the pictures mentioned above.

although annoyingly my mums Thai passport, ID card have expired. They have a house registration doc in Thailand, but I don’t know if the London embassy would only require a copy instead of an original 

On 4/12/2020 at 12:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

Looking this page. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82037-Birth-&-Death-Registration.html

It shows this after the line about being born before 1992. That info is at the bottom of the page. Just keep scrolling down the page.

image.png.5cae431343cd0a3a067f38985bcba10e.png

Thank you for sending this - I saw this already but this doesn’t apply to me as I was born after 1992 (in 1994) which is why I am still confused about what documents I need / what my Thai mother needs 

14 hours ago, RedSea said:

i am not sure what is meant by military service though?

Thais over the age of 20 can be conscripted (up to the age of 30). They guys mentioning it are just saying, by going down this route you "could" hit that hurdle if you intend heading across and living in Thailand (and get a Thai ID card).

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-military-service/