Treadmill Parts Required

4MyEgo

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Do they need to be OEM parts or would regular brushes not do? I imagine any second hand appliance workshop would carry a wide variety of brushes. 

Sorry I don't know what OEM means.

This is the first time I am replacing them, so I had this burning like smell thinking the belt probably needed lubing, but by accident came across brushes needed replacing on Youtube and yep, they are half way down.

I will try this washing machine repair place up the road and take it from there.

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sorry I don't know what OEM means.

This is the first time I am replacing them, so I had this burning like smell thinking the belt probably needed lubing, but by accident came across brushes needed replacing on Youtube and yep, they are half way down.

I will try this washing machine repair place up the road and take it from there.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer - but brushes are generally consumables so no need for special orders to replace them.

But if the motor was turning then the brushes were functioning. They may be worn, but they are intended to do so, so possibly not the source of your original issue. That said, it has been many years since I worked on a universal  DC motor so you are definitely better getting it checked out by the washing machine guys. 

Edited by RuamRudy
Thinking on it, probably a DC rather than universal motor.
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But if the motor was turning then the brushes were functioning. They may be worn, but they are intended to do so, so possibly not the source of your original issue.

Yes they are the source because when I took them out, they were hot and the smell was the smell that I was smelling, they look like two miniature brake pads from the old days that are worn down to half the size.

I had no idea I had to replace them, machine is about two years old and I would spray under the belt every couple of months, never had an issue, luckily I investigated otherwise might have done some damage to the motor if I kept it up, which I wouldn't because the smell is enough to say, hey something's not right here.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes they are the source because when I took them out, they were hot and the smell was the smell that I was smelling, they look like two miniature brake pads from the old days that are worn down to half the size.

I had no idea I had to replace them, machine is about two years old and I would spray under the belt every couple of months, never had an issue, luckily I investigated otherwise might have done some damage to the motor if I kept it up, which I wouldn't because the smell is enough to say, hey something's not right here.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

You are welcome. The fact they need replaced shows that you are making good use of the machine - well done. I wish I was similarly motivated!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

You are welcome. The fact they need replaced shows that you are making good use of the machine - well done. I wish I was similarly motivated!

Yes I am making good use of it, the wife has joined in of late, only took her a few years to get motivated, and as I said to her the machine was working fine till she got on it, she said what's that supposed to mean, I said the machine can't handle you, again she said what's that supposed to mean with her arms on her hips, I said your too hot for it babie.....lol

On a serious note, gotta look after the body as we age, the more we do, the less obstacles we will encounter, that's my take on it, so get motivated, eat clean, keep your vitamin in take up and exercise and enjoy that machine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

I had a chinchuck short my treadmill motor once. 

A Thai friend put me onto a local shop who rewound the coil. 

From the outside, I wouldn't have knew what the shops purpose was, so maybe some research with the help of a local Thai might help? 

The wife and I will go to the local town today to see what we can come up with, failing that, will have to go to Udon Thani which is about an hours drive to see what we can find.