Is traffic any better currently in Bangkok?

Calach

As of Thursday, last week, the traffic was negligible.  On Friday afternoon I noticed the roadways were very busy and so was the highway.  Then over the weekend, little to none on the roads around where I am in Sathon, or from what I could see on the freeways as well.  I would have to say that until this Covid issue plays out, the traffic in Bangkok will be slim to none, especially starting tomorrow, which happens to be the official start of the non existent Songkran this year.....

• Like 1

I walk to work every day (Ploenchit to Siam) and there is noticeably less traffic, although the streets are not deserted.  Since they closed the parks, I'm having to dodge joggers on the pavements; it is also noticeable that most taxis do not have fares and slow down optimistically next to pedestrians.  There are still lots of noisy, polluting buses and there are just as many motorbikes as usual.

So I went to Chaengwattana from Rama 3 this morning at rush hour and back around noon, it took me 25-30 minutes through the city on the way on and via the scenic route on the way back, instead of the usual 45-50 minutes (on a motorcycle). It still looks busy but never clogged and cars drive a lot faster, which makes it seem as busy as usual even though they're probably more spaced out. 

Yes, I agree with the above poster.

To an out-of-towner, there is still plenty of traffic, but it is all flowing well with no real delays. The tollways are virtually empty outside of peak hour and would make a good raceway.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:01 AM, uncleP said:

I tested a car last week and did not get stuck in traffic at all. In  25 plus years of driving here it was a first.. and why I generally  drive a 500cc motorcycle 

really?? I find every year in BKK during Songkran to have no traffic.

Traffic where I live and on my commute is down about 50%. Apart from last night when it reverted to crazy again.  Especially heading away from Bangkok.  

I presumed they had just heard that a province nearby had opened its bars and sale of alcohol and were escaping.

I seriously thought about joining them.