Can you freely drive through Thailand/provinces?

AndyAndyAndy

I'd be interested in this as well. While I'm in Isaan (Buriram) I'd be interested if it's possible to travel down to Bangkok and even further south, to Rayong.

I'm assuming I'll have to wait until the end of the month when this curfew is (hopefully) ended but am curious nonetheless.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that you'd be very lucky to arrive at your destination under the current restrictions.  My Thai wife doesn't consider this feasible either and she lives with me in the UK but maintains close communication with her family and current affairs in LOS on a daily basis.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am glad someone has started this discussion.   My g/f who has a uk passport needs to get to the airport.  I have a serious health issue in the uk.   Hopefully she can get a flight.   She has registered with uk embassy. 

She lives near route 2 north of korat but says she needs a paper from the head of the province ??????.     

I told her just to present a paper printout of the airline ticket and her uk passport.   The answer came back was who will drive me there are no trains or buses. Any thoughts anyone

It is taking Kerry Express 16 hours to drive from Bangkok to Chiang Mai where before it was an 8 hour trip. All the check points for the virus. Expect this kind of time delay for any travel in Thailand.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, surreybloke said:

The answer came back was who will drive me there are no trains or buses. Any thoughts anyone

Taxi, unless she has friends who can drive her this is probably going to be the only feasible solution. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fishtank said:

Why would you want to do this at this time?

We have a house down in Trang province which we visit each month from our base in Pattaya...would have prepared to stay there except I HAD to return (wed last 8th) as my Retirement Extension is due for renewal next week.....does that answer your question :whistling:

And BTW in our 940 kms drive back we only encountered 1 police check....slow down open the window and a quick look followed by a salute and we were on our way......there was another Covid check point at Hua Hin but as it was lunchtime the officials decided eating was more important than checking :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I (and my wife) drove from Khon Kaen to Bangkok on 8 April, stayed overnight, and drove back again on 9 April. I had to attend an appointment at the Australia Embassy to renew my passport.

My wife's friends all said we couldn't travel, but I couldn't find any prohibitions on travel between provinces on our intended route. We did go to the local government office beforehand to see if we needed some sort of official letter. After checking they said no. They said we only needed a 'pass' if we wanted to travel during the night curfew (10:00 pm - 4:00 am).

Anyway, we weren't stopped at any check-points coming or going (there are usually a few during normal times). Various check-points were set up, but not manned when we went through. Maybe the police were sleeping after manning the checkpoints during the night curfew.

Off the highways the local checkpoints aren't normally manned until 8:30 am.

So, yes, you can travel, but you need to have a reasonable explanation as to why in case you are stopped. Make sure you have your masks ready if you are stopped.

The tollways in Bangkok are virtually empty, and only a few toll booths are open. There is often a police presence where they check temperatures, but this is pretty random and we weren't checked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, surreybloke said:

I am glad someone has started this discussion.   My g/f who has a uk passport needs to get to the airport.  I have a serious health issue in the uk.   Hopefully she can get a flight.   She has registered with uk embassy. 

She lives near route 2 north of korat but says she needs a paper from the head of the province ??????.     

I told her just to present a paper printout of the airline ticket and her uk passport.   The answer came back was who will drive me there are no trains or buses. Any thoughts anyone

I would imagine getting a flight would be a nightmare, plus very expensive, looking at the flightradar app, virtually nothing flying, good luck anyway hope you get better

• Like 1

22 hours ago, surreybloke said:

She can try a Taxi, private van, check with friends that have car and pay them. If leaving Thailand, I think she will need a medical certificate saying she is safe to travel. 

• Like 1

I live in Ubon and this coming Friday, April 17, I planned to visit a village in the northern part of Roi-et province to sign new season seed production contracts. The drive would take me through Yasothon province. I just inquired at the provincial offices in Ubon and they said they would issue me a "pass" to travel out of Ubon province and then I would have to get another "pass" in Yasothon province and another "pass" in Roi-et province. The meeting in the Roi-et village would take a couple of hours but the Ubon office told me that after the meeting I would be put in quarantine there for 14 days. What they told me may not be entirely correct but it is too risky to take the risk. We have postponed the meeting to a later date when these travel restrictions are lifted. Also similar meetings in Kalasin, Mukdahan and Amnart provinces. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:57 AM, Michael Hare said:

I live in Ubon and this coming Friday, April 17, I planned to visit a village in the northern part of Roi-et province to sign new season seed production contracts. The drive would take me through Yasothon province. I just inquired at the provincial offices in Ubon and they said they would issue me a "pass" to travel out of Ubon province and then I would have to get another "pass" in Yasothon province and another "pass" in Roi-et province. The meeting in the Roi-et village would take a couple of hours but the Ubon office told me that after the meeting I would be put in quarantine there for 14 days. What they told me may not be entirely correct but it is too risky to take the risk. We have postponed the meeting to a later date when these travel restrictions are lifted. Also similar meetings in Kalasin, Mukdahan and Amnart provinces. 

Ridiculous to even contemplate doing this at the present time.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of those involved to exchange production contracts electronically and post/defer wet signatures.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Ridiculous to even contemplate doing this at the present time.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of those involved to exchange production contracts electronically and post/defer wet signatures.

It was an inquiry only. There is far more involved than just signing contracts and getting signatures. In many villages new species are being introduced that the farmers know nothing about. Training and explaining has to be done over and over and foundation seed has to be carefully distributed. If it was easy, we wouldn't even consider going. After working with Thai farmers for over 40 years nothing really is easy and straight forward in order to get a quality product. Exchange contracts electronically! Many farmers can not even read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1