Full-time Teachers: How Are You Gonna Be Paid This Coming School Year?

That probably sounds right, I would not think they will offer to pay for the month that are closed. The best thing you can do is ask The Ministry of Labour. They will be able to tell you the rules the schools must follow. If there is no rules stating they have to pay, then they will certainly not pay.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That probably sounds right, I would not think they will offer to pay for the month that are closed. The best thing you can do is ask The Ministry of Labour. They will be able to tell you the rules the schools must follow. If there is no rules stating they have to pay, then they will certainly not pay.

What about the rules on contracts as per the MOL? Any feedback from someone experienced (or who had contacted the MOL for somewhat close or similar situation?) would be appreciated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

If you get paid for 12 months, I would assume that you will be paid every month - we are going to need to teach in the weeks we normally get as holidays to make up the time. This would apply to continuing teachers, not new teachers. I highly doubt agency teachers would be paid if they are not teaching. 

Thanks and that must be the norm. But, if the school decides in another way, could the contract have a say?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I wouldn't want to be a teacher in Thailand right now waiting to get paid.

Yeah, and it's sometimes sad (or pathetic?). But, some unexpected things are masked as deposits to our knowledge banks, especially these days when we were all caught off-guard by Covid-19. What seemed to be a logical expectation (especially from the first world) had become a grim reality. Just sayin'

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

If you get paid for 12 months, I would assume that you will be paid every month - we are going to need to teach in the weeks we normally get as holidays to make up the time. This would apply to continuing teachers, not new teachers. I highly doubt agency teachers would be paid if they are not teaching. 

Exactly this.  At least for continuing teachers with a 12-month contract.

My friend and I were just discussing this and reached the same conclusion.  We look at it this way: the current revised school year plan takes our October 2020 and April 2021 vacations (+ partial Mar & May for some) and moves that paid time off into into June and July 2020.  We're effectively borrowing vacation time from the future, BUT for a typical May 1 - April 30 contract (i.e. one that follows the "normal" school year), a teacher will still be getting the same total amount of paid vacation and teaching the same total number of weeks.

So based on all this, one would assume the pattern of pay should remain uninterrupted and unreduced, no?  Under normal circumstances, yes, but we're clearly not in Kansas anymore.  For one, this will delay tuition payments for most schools, hence little to no money for paying salaries.  For another, July 1 is a working date, but not a hard date; a lot could happen between now and then to change that, which makes financial planning for the schools even more uncertain.  Still, teaching English is a moneyspinner here and they know they have to do SOMETHING to keep the foreign teachers from wandering off, either because they can't afford to stay or because they're not allowed to without a teaching visa.

https://brslawyers.com/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update-for-employers-in-thailand/

Reading the helpful information on this webpage (especially point 4) points to most teachers getting 50% pay for May and June, but it's complicated and evolving, and looks like case-by-case and school-by-school.

Points that will make a difference:

1.  Whether the school has been participating/contributing to Social Security ... apparently this is optional for some types of schools. 
2.  12-month contracts that don't follow the school year, as e.g. my own contract that runs mid-Aug to mid-Aug.
3.  Teachers who knew they were returning (handshake deal with school) but haven't officially signed the 2020-2021 contract yet.
4.  New teachers who haven't officially signed a contract yet.

Strap in, it's going to get interesting, and not just for teachers.

Edited by ramr
Clarity
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, debbiedebbie said:

What about the rules on contracts as per the MOL? Any feedback from someone experienced (or who had contacted the MOL for somewhat close or similar situation?) would be appreciated.

Hey! That was exactly the advice in my post to you.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The best thing you can do is ask The Ministry of Labour.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Hey! That was exactly the advice in my post to you.

Yeah, thanks, but I was thinking of shortcut advice. Anyways, have you got MOL's direct English contact nos? Surely, a pain in the neck if I'll just use the regular hotline.

4 hours ago, ramr said:

... Strap in, it's going to get interesting, and not just for teachers.

Wow, sweet! That's what I could call meaty response to a crisis! And, that link! Thanks indeed, ram(me)r dear. So, I guess a full-time teacher needs to be proactive about whatever comes up with regard to the May and June salary. I'm already thinking of the 50% thingy, just to cut the chase and move on. Then, would just probably dream all day being with a guy like ram(me)r? (I'm just impressed, sorry.)

5 hours ago, ramr said:

Thank you for this, ramr - most helpful.

Interesting (for me) that the only "help" for employers, so far, is that amazing 1% drop in Social Security payments; like that is going to help anyone in this current situation. 

All of my staff/teachers are on Social Security. We each filled out the online form to claim, but received no notifications or information from them. When called, they said that each person had to attend their office to fill out the forms (which we had already completed online!) ..... social distancing and all that go out of the window when it comes to Thai bureaucracy! They said that we should expect it to take at least 2-3 weeks before we receive any further information from them (they didn't guarantee payments, even when my staff have been paying into the scheme). So, if you are actually covered by Social Security, be prepared for a wait... maybe a long wait.

58 minutes ago, debbiedebbie said:

Yeah, thanks, but I was thinking of shortcut advice. Anyways, have you got MOL's direct English contact nos? Surely, a pain in the neck if I'll just use the regular hotline.

1506 is what you can use. They speak english if you chose right right buttons. If any problem, ask the one you speak with for a specific person that handles this and are well versed in english.

37 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

1506 is what you can use. They speak english if you chose right right buttons. If any problem, ask the one you speak with for a specific person that handles this and are well versed in english.

Love, love, love ... Thanks, Matzzy baby. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, debbiedebbie said:

Yeah, and it's sometimes sad (or pathetic?). But, some unexpected things are masked as deposits to our knowledge banks, especially these days when we were all caught off-guard by Covid-19. What seemed to be a logical expectation (especially from the first world) had become a grim reality. Just sayin'

Well you are one of the very few to admit that.

There is no logical expectations in Thailand that could be expected in the first world. (i.e.. honoring contracts)

If you plan to stay, you really need a plan, and that plan has to include enough funds for plan B, to leave if you have to.

On 4/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, bwpage3 said:

I wouldn't want to be a teacher in Thailand right now waiting to get paid.

International School Teachers

My son goes to an International school, the kids have been home-schooling…..what a joke, all that money I paid for the little effort and schooling.

Now the teachers have been told that they need to stay at home and teach the class.

His teachers complains about this stay at home technique but we all know it’s basically money for nothing, he’s got to be as happy as a pig in <deleted>.

Also, on another note, an international teachers schooling year is short, I have looked at the calendar and it looks like they have 15 weeks off school per year, so the teachers are also having 15 weeks paid leave per year.

It’s disgraceful

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Also, on another note, an international teachers schooling year is short, I have looked at the calendar and it looks like they have 15 weeks off school per year, so the teachers are also having 15 weeks paid leave per year.

It’s disgraceful

I got almost 20 weeks paid leave a year in UK schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, fulhamster said:

What happens re. work permits that could now expire mid-way through the school year ?

Will the schools give another year with only 2 or 3 months left ?

Adjustment in pay could be reasonable, but a halt or any delay in processing of stay papers is not ... I could be so correct on this.