Home gym making a comback

robblok

Just now, Tchooptip said:

I have a homme gym too but I guess it is much cheaper than yours ???? and however I do two hours every single day ????

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 15.01.02.png

Nothing wrong with TRX and two hours.. wow.. that is a long time. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Nothing wrong with TRX and two hours.. wow.. that is a long time. 

Not so long 60 reps per exercise plus some streching in between, at my own pace between an hour and a half and two hours.

With in addition 30 minutes of pranayama breathing in the morning 30 minutes in the evening.

And since I am in detail LOL 2X 20 minutes of a German method of relaxation the Autogenic Training of the doctor Schultz (I'm not German) and I've been doing this last one daily for ... thirty years????

7 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Not so long 60 reps per exercise plus some streching in between, at my own pace between an hour and a half and two hours.

With in addition 30 minutes of pranayama breathing in the morning 30 minutes in the evening.

And since I am in detail LOL 2X 20 minutes of a German method of relaxation the Autogenic Training of the doctor Schultz (I'm not German) and I've been doing this last one daily for ... thirty years????

The long time was a compliment nothing more. In the commercial gym my workouts are longer like 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. In my home gym its under an hour most of the time for 20 sets. No waiting less rest as in the gym between exercises. 

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

The long time was a compliment nothing more. In the commercial gym my workouts are longer like 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. In my home gym its under an hour most of the time for 20 sets. No waiting less rest as in the gym between exercises. 

I know very well that you are not agressive with anyone so I did not defend myself, it was just a precission???? 

I suppose it depends on why you want to go to a gym, ie there is no way I want to build muscle, only to maintain my weigh and keep my fitness from when I was in my thirties, always around 76K at 6ft tall.

I am happy just doing regular cycling and using the local exercise park five days a week.

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Here's an alternative to the OPs advice... if you usually do weights in the gym, take advantage of a chance to switch up your routine (and save money), by buying a simple exercise mat and doing bodyweight exercises.

When you return to the gym in a few weeks, you might feel better for the switch and a bit stronger in the core muscles (while maybe being smaller in the 'beach muscles')

If you want to save money use your local exercise park, there is a downside, the park I have been using for the last ten years does not maintain the machines, the one I mostly use has been broken for about 4 months now, I reported it and no one bothers.

I just increased the ks riding the bike more instead.

• Like 1

I have been working out at home only for several years here. In fact I’m gonna buy this one here because I need it this one has a back rest and I have permanent spinal damage. 

3B4FD0F1-DD93-4D17-9303-854A8F785296.jpeg

Edited by TikiT

I got my Home gym, Getting up around 4/5 Am Than Coffee and Toilet Than take the Dog for a walk. then Working in the Veg garden ,can be digging, weeding  ,watering the garden and Raking the Lawn, later on could be mowing the lawn and cutting the edges. I've got No time to go to the gym .Doing the garden and walking the dog just about fills my day. If one can't find something to do at Home there's something wrong. Get out of them Condos and cities and do some Real exercise outside in the early mornings even in the sun . I will bet my left one you will feel a lot better then Playing in a Indoor So called gym. Get Real Get a life ,Enjoy Life.  ????

15 hours ago, TikiT said:

I have been working out at home only for several years here. In fact I’m gonna buy this one here because I need it this one has a back rest and I have permanent spinal damage. 

3B4FD0F1-DD93-4D17-9303-854A8F785296.jpeg

Looks nice, most important thing is to find something you like and can keep doing for exercise. We are not all the same. So what we do will be different too. Seems like a nice bike

Just for the record, the fact that i get feisty when people come up with things that are sub optimal for gaining muscle does not mean I am against other forms of exercise. On the contrary everyone should do what they like as that is the way to keep doing it.

Thing is that when people talk about building muscle I just go for the most effective way and will discuss about that. That does not mean i think everyone should be trying to gain muscle or lift weights or whatever. Its just that when people come up with like exercise in a park for muscle its just bad advice. Same with body-weight work its great to stay in shape but you wont build much muscle.  

My problem was not as much with the variation in exercise (as we all like different things and you should never do exercises you hate) but more that if your talking about building muscle there is only one thing that really works progressive overload and that is easiest done with weights as you have to stay within a certain rep range.

If the question is about staying healthy or building up stamina im far more open. Its just that for building muscle (even if you dont want to look like a bodybuilder something  that wont happen anyway) is lifting weights with progressive overload in a certain rep range.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:41 AM, RickG16 said:

Here's an alternative to the OPs advice... if you usually do weights in the gym, take advantage of a chance to switch up your routine (and save money), by buying a simple exercise mat and doing bodyweight exercises.

When you return to the gym in a few weeks, you might feel better for the switch and a bit stronger in the core muscles (while maybe being smaller in the 'beach muscles')

Return to the gym in a few weeks???? Seriously??? I wish. I fear not gonna happen. A few months has more of a chance. Remember 12-18 months for a vaccine. Things will reopen s l o w l y

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Looks nice, most important thing is to find something you like and can keep doing for exercise. We are not all the same. So what we do will be different too. Seems like a nice bike

Oh yes much better than the one I have now that I cannot use anymore. I used to be a runner back in the day before a series of injuries. 

I do miss the gym. It’s pleasant to be around a group of people who’re fit or trying to get fit. This, in contrast to the average sedentary types usually around us who have no idea about what fitness means, what it’s like to attain it, how valuable it is.

Some machines are of course quite convenient, e. g., the ab machine, leg press and leg extension, though they share the limitations common to machines. Other machines are rather useless, like that for the abductor/adductors—those are best done using cables, hitting some other muscles while you’re using them.

It’s a shame the great Nautilus machines of old are no longer around.  

I enjoy people watching there, appraising their expertise, noting good/poor form and technique. I note who’s doing exercises they should avoid, like upright rows or behind-the-neck pulldowns—sometimes taught to do so by the trainers. Who’s impressive, admirable, or just silly, young noobs pumping furiously trying get big. One day a lady came in, walked on the treadmill for 10 min, then spent 30 in the aerobics room taking selfies in front of the mirrors.

Occasionally a real athlete will stop by. Have a number of strong old guys doing traditional workouts who nevertheless all look pregnant.

Among the admirable, not to say attractive, are some ladies, older ones even, who are actually quite serious, a few in great shape. Others, men and women, are obviously trying--and failing--to lose weight while avoiding having to diet.

I like the staff at the gym, super nice, and hope they’re all taken care of. They put on a good show at the New Year’s party and looked totally different in street clothes.

Besides people watching I also listen to music on my mp3 player. What with that and the concentration on the work to be done, I’m never bored at the gym.

But I don’t really need to go to the gym, so I’m not losing anything during this COVID break. Working out at home I find just as effective, if not more so, but it takes longer, relies more on isometrics, and requires more setup. With no machine for leg extensions or leg presses, I do one leg at a time to achieve sufficient intensity. I add in more variety of movement that machines by their very nature discourage.

Then again I have more time to do so, not needing to travel and deal with gym logistics, wait on a machine or bench to be free. In fact, I added another split to my routine. I add cardio intensity by doing intervals on my own treadmill. Not sure I really need it, given the resistance training. Maybe my numbers would be as good, or at least acceptable, without it. However, it feels good and I’m used to it.

With more time I also find myself doing more stretching and foam rolling than I do normally. That’s an especially good thing now as some different muscles being stressed can use it.

Home has the advantage of being able to watch videos and having a wider range of music to listen to, so I never find working out at home boring either. I’ve been catching up on some movies I’ve had on the list. I force myself to delay watching the latest episode of Westworld until it’s exercise time.

Finally, it’s very nice to be able to set the aircon to a guaranteed comfort level.

On the other hand, to address the major disadvantages, the home environment is more distracting and offers far more excuses to procrastinate. I always end up exercising later at home than I would if I went to the gym. Interruptions during the workout are more likely for various reasons.

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I do miss the gym. It’s pleasant to be around a group of people who’re fit or trying to get fit. This, in contrast to the average sedentary types usually around us who have no idea about what fitness means, what it’s like to attain it, how valuable it is.

Some machines are of course quite convenient, e. g., the ab machine, leg press and leg extension, though they share the limitations common to machines. Other machines are rather useless, like that for the abductor/adductors—those are best done using cables, hitting some other muscles while you’re using them.

It’s a shame the great Nautilus machines of old are no longer around.  

I enjoy people watching there, appraising their expertise, noting good/poor form and technique. I note who’s doing exercises they should avoid, like upright rows or behind-the-neck pulldowns—sometimes taught to do so by the trainers. Who’s impressive, admirable, or just silly, young noobs pumping furiously trying get big. One day a lady came in, walked on the treadmill for 10 min, then spent 30 in the aerobics room taking selfies in front of the mirrors.

Occasionally a real athlete will stop by. Have a number of strong old guys doing traditional workouts who nevertheless all look pregnant.

Among the admirable, not to say attractive, are some ladies, older ones even, who are actually quite serious, a few in great shape. Others, men and women, are obviously trying--and failing--to lose weight while avoiding having to diet.

I like the staff at the gym, super nice, and hope they’re all taken care of. They put on a good show at the New Year’s party and looked totally different in street clothes.

Besides people watching I also listen to music on my mp3 player. What with that and the concentration on the work to be done, I’m never bored at the gym.

But I don’t really need to go to the gym, so I’m not losing anything during this COVID break. Working out at home I find just as effective, if not more so, but it takes longer, relies more on isometrics, and requires more setup. With no machine for leg extensions or leg presses, I do one leg at a time to achieve sufficient intensity. I add in more variety of movement that machines by their very nature discourage.

Then again I have more time to do so, not needing to travel and deal with gym logistics, wait on a machine or bench to be free. In fact, I added another split to my routine. I add cardio intensity by doing intervals on my own treadmill. Not sure I really need it, given the resistance training. Maybe my numbers would be as good, or at least acceptable, without it. However, it feels good and I’m used to it.

With more time I also find myself doing more stretching and foam rolling than I do normally. That’s an especially good thing now as some different muscles being stressed can use it.

Home has the advantage of being able to watch videos and having a wider range of music to listen to, so I never find working out at home boring either. I’ve been catching up on some movies I’ve had on the list. I force myself to delay watching the latest episode of Westworld until it’s exercise time.

Finally, it’s very nice to be able to set the aircon to a guaranteed comfort level.

On the other hand, to address the major disadvantages, the home environment is more distracting and offers far more excuses to procrastinate. I always end up exercising later at home than I would if I went to the gym. Interruptions during the workout are more likely for various reasons.

The aircon is a good one at the gym i go to its always far too hot.

About form, I am sure i could do better at some exercises however there are quite a few people who have different views on how form should be.

You can't lose weight on going to the gym alone just like you said. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

could you please make a list with links to decathlon showing what is for you the minimum necessary to train at home ?

thanks.

Train for what? Define what you want to achieve.

Buy a power rack, barell & some weights and this is sufficient 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

It's hard for me to order dumbbells, etc. off lazada...I'd rather go somewhere and actually see and try some before buying. I don't want the kind with plates, I want some dumbbells of different sizes and weights, like the hexagonal ones or the simple round steel ones, and I don't want a complete set. Anyone know a place in BKK where I can see and try dumbbells like this? (Could be wrong, but I don't think Decathlon or Central are the right place for this either.) Thx

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

It's hard for me to order dumbbells, etc. off lazada...I'd rather go somewhere and actually see and try some before buying. I don't want the kind with plates, I want some dumbbells of different sizes and weights, like the hexagonal ones or the simple round steel ones, and I don't want a complete set. Anyone know a place in BKK where I can see and try dumbbells like this? (Could be wrong, but I don't think Decathlon or Central are the right place for this either.) Thx

I used to see those in the sports dept. at Big C. I think I've also seen them in the larger Supersports stores in the malls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

Did you find them? I happened to be in Decathlon today and saw pentagonal versions in weights from 1.5 kilo to 15.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Did you find them? I happened to be in Decathlon today and saw pentagonal versions in weights from 1.5 kilo to 15.

I also was there couple days ago and saw them. Have kind of changed my mind about getting them for now, but good to know they have them. 

Also saw the steel round end ones at Big C, but they only had one pair I think (in On Nut branch). Real cheap though. Also had some plastic covered hexagonal ones, but again only a couple pairs. And also cheap. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

I also was there couple days ago and saw them. Have kind of changed my mind about getting them for now, but good to know they have them. 

Also saw the steel round end ones at Big C, but they only had one pair I think (in On Nut branch). Real cheap though. Also had some plastic covered hexagonal ones, but again only a couple pairs. And also cheap. 

Problem with the adjustable DB's is that they often come lose during exercise. The more expensive ones don't have that problem. Then again these are hard to find and fastening DB's between sets might be more cost effective.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 1:16 PM, robblok said:

The aircon is a good one at the gym i go to its always far too hot.

About form, I am sure i could do better at some exercises however there are quite a few people who have different views on how form should be.

You can't lose weight on going to the gym alone just like you said. 

LOL. You can lose a lot of weight in a very hot public gym in Thailand - water weight.

There a reason why the gyms here are kept so hot - when the members sweat a lot they can pretend they are exercising harder and losing more fat - a myth persistent throughout SEA and probably the world as many expats think they need to sweat to have a good workout.

I remember many years ago, training during the hottest season of the year (March - May) in the Philippines, in a gym the top floor of a building with a tin roof and sun beating down. It was brutal. They had fans that I would turn on, and when my back was turned, someone would turn them off again.

I've seen people in Thailand doing cardio on hot days wearing full length body suits. They should just visit a sauna instead.

I have no idea why people are so ignorant on this issue. Less heat means you can work harder and burn more calories. Sweating is a sign the body is heat stressed.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, JensenZ said:

LOL. You can lose a lot of weight in a very hot public gym in Thailand - water weight.

There a reason why the gyms here are kept so hot - when the members sweat a lot they can pretend they are exercising harder and losing more fat - a myth persistent throughout SEA and probably the world as many expats think they need to sweat to have a good workout.

I remember many years ago, training during the hottest season of the year (March - May) in the Philippines, in a gym the top floor of a building with a tin roof and sun beating down. It was brutal. They had fans that I would turn on, and when my back was turned, someone would turn them off again.

I've seen people in Thailand doing cardio on hot days wearing full length body suits. They should just visit a sauna instead.

I have no idea why people are so ignorant on this issue. Less heat means you can work harder and burn more calories. Sweating is a sign the body is heat stressed.

Yes i seen this too people seem to equate sweating with burning fat. I always sweat buckets but that does not mean I burn fat. The myth seems wide spread here. You even see people in plastic body suits to get even more sweat. I think its dangerous.

Yes a cooler gym makes you work out more and burn more calories. But I have to say the amount of calories burned from working out is not that huge, diet still wins out if its about fat loss.

But working out makes sure that you don't lose muscle during fat loss (lower muscle is lower basic metabolic rate is less calories burned)

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes i seen this too people seem to equate sweating with burning fat. I always sweat buckets but that does not mean I burn fat. The myth seems wide spread here. You even see people in plastic body suits to get even more sweat. I think its dangerous.

Yes a cooler gym makes you work out more and burn more calories. But I have to say the amount of calories burned from working out is not that huge, diet still wins out if its about fat loss.

But working out makes sure that you don't lose muscle during fat loss (lower muscle is lower basic metabolic rate is less calories burned)

I do a lot of cardio, but I don't do it to lose fat and I won't lose fat no matter how much I do without a restricted diet. I do cardio to improve my heart function, blood circulation, blood pressure and blood sugar.

I'm coming back after a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng layoff (2 years). I've been training hard now for 2 months and the muscles that were hiding behind fat are starting to pop out again LOL. The last thing I want to do is restrict my calories as I need to gain my muscle back asap, and I'm not going to manage that well with calorie restriction. I'm surprised how fast it is coming back at age 62. I'd say I'm about 70 - 80% back after 2 months. Muscle memory is definitely a thing, but I did not expect it to return as fast as it has.

I also train at home. My room is 26 - 27C with fans, so I still sweat a lot, but I don't want to be dripping wet. That's the great thing about home gyms, you can dial in the climate. I'm surprised you went back to public gyms. I haven't trained at a public gym for 8 years now. Here's a list of advantages for home gyms. This is a gym with cardio equipment, barbells, dumbbells and racks, and a pulldown station with lots of different attachments.

1. Dial your climate (as mentioned above)

2. Choose our own music

3. Train when you like, any time you like.

4. Train shirtless and bare feet (only for some exercises). I keep my shoes on when using weights.

5. No waiting for equipment

6. No talking. No distractions. I am very anti-social when it comes to training. Talking makes me lose my concentration. I need to stay focused when training. I'm always focused on how much weight I need, how many reps, what exercises I'm going to do and exercise form.

7. No one is watching. I don't need to boost my ego by showing off with weights I cannot handle. I can use less weight and focus on form.

8. No spotter. Spotters usually lead to injuries as you are using more weight than you can safely handle. I know how much I can safely handle.

9. Hygiene. No one else is sweating on my benches and leaving pools of sweat on them (Thais are notorious for this). An extra bonus - no one is spreading covid-19 in my gym.

10. Clean toilet.

11. Availability of drinks from my own fridge.

12. No wasted time travelling to and from the gym.

13. No gym membership to pay. If you have a family, it can be cost effective if 2 or 3 family members use the home gym too.

14. No mirrors. Of course mirrors are easy to install, but I found through experiment that I train better without them. Without mirrors I feel what I'm doing rather than watch what I'm doing and the movements feel more organic. Even squats are better without a mirror.

15. I can do a lot of exercises that are difficult to set up in a public gym because you have to share the stations with other people.

16. It's easy to do supersets of 2 or 3 different exercises. This is hard to do in a busy public gym because when you turn your back, someone else jumps on the machine. I've found in Thailand that when most Thai people train they like to sit on the machine until they have completed their 3 or 4 sets (while glued to their mobile phones) and don't feel compelled to share. If you ask to work in, they can get hostile as they feel they own the equipment until they are done.

There's probably more that don't come to mind right now. I started training in 1975, and over that time I've spent a lot of time in public gyms, and over that time I've owned 3 home gyms (in different countries). There's no comparison - It's home gyms all the way for me. There isn't one thing about a public gym that I miss.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I do a lot of cardio, but I don't do it to lose fat and I won't lose fat no matter how much I do without a restricted diet. I do cardio to improve my heart function, blood circulation, blood pressure and blood sugar.

I'm coming back after a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng layoff (2 years). I've been training hard now for 2 months and the muscles that were hiding behind fat are starting to pop out again LOL. The last thing I want to do is restrict my calories as I need to gain my muscle back asap, and I'm not going to manage that well with calorie restriction. I'm surprised how fast it is coming back at age 62. I'd say I'm about 70 - 80% back after 2 months. Muscle memory is definitely a thing, but I did not expect it to return as fast as it has.

I also train at home. My room is 26 - 27C with fans, so I still sweat a lot, but I don't want to be dripping wet. That's the great thing about home gyms, you can dial in the climate. I'm surprised you went back to public gyms. I haven't trained at a public gym for 8 years now. Here's a list of advantages for home gyms. This is a gym with cardio equipment, barbells, dumbbells and racks, and a pulldown station with lots of different attachments.

1. Dial your climate (as mentioned above)

2. Choose our own music

3. Train when you like, any time you like.

4. Train shirtless and bare feet (only for some exercises). I keep my shoes on when using weights.

5. No waiting for equipment

6. No talking. No distractions. I am very anti-social when it comes to training. Talking makes me lose my concentration. I need to stay focused when training. I'm always focused on how much weight I need, how many reps, what exercises I'm going to do and exercise form.

7. No one is watching. I don't need to boost my ego by showing off with weights I cannot handle. I can use less weight and focus on form.

8. No spotter. Spotters usually lead to injuries as you are using more weight than you can safely handle. I know how much I can safely handle.

9. Hygiene. No one else is sweating on my benches and leaving pools of sweat on them (Thais are notorious for this). An extra bonus - no one is spreading covid-19 in my gym.

10. Clean toilet.

11. Availability of drinks from my own fridge.

12. No wasted time travelling to and from the gym.

13. No gym membership to pay. If you have a family, it can be cost effective if 2 or 3 family members use the home gym too.

14. No mirrors. Of course mirrors are easy to install, but I found through experiment that I train better without them. Without mirrors I feel what I'm doing rather than watch what I'm doing and the movements feel more organic. Even squats are better without a mirror.

15. I can do a lot of exercises that are difficult to set up in a public gym because you have to share the stations with other people.

16. It's easy to do supersets of 2 or 3 different exercises. This is hard to do in a busy public gym because when you turn your back, someone else jumps on the machine. I've found in Thailand that when most Thai people train they like to sit on the machine until they have completed their 3 or 4 sets (while glued to their mobile phones) and don't feel compelled to share. If you ask to work in, they can get hostile as they feel they own the equipment until they are done.

There's probably more that don't come to mind right now. I started training in 1975, and over that time I've spent a lot of time in public gyms, and over that time I've owned 3 home gyms (in different countries). There's no comparison - It's home gyms all the way for me. There isn't one thing about a public gym that I miss.

To be honest a lot of points are good and I agree with

- own music

- dial in climate

- Train when you like

- I don't train shirtless but trained without shoes for a while but dropped too many weight plates on my toes (not hard but still)

- indeed not waiting for equipment is good

- No distractions (did not have those in public gym either)

- You have been training long and so have I so ego goes away somewhere along the line

- I use spotters still train with someone at times, but to be honest i seldom need them I know what i can and cant do

- Drink yes important

- Travel, even though i was 10 min from my gym i still liked home

- I have mirrors do think they are useful

- Not sure if its cost effective but over the 10 years that i have used it it might break even

I do miss the fact that i don't have all the machines but an adjustable cable cross will be delivered Saturday. I think ill use it a lot.

Id like to have a stair climber but these are really expensive

There are more machines in a public gym 

Got a rack, barbells dumbbells' hex bar for deadlifts. bumper plates, pull down machine concept 2 model d rower and an assault air bike. Some rings that i can attach to my rack and many other stuff.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

To be honest a lot of points are good and I agree with

- own music

- dial in climate

- Train when you like

- I don't train shirtless but trained without shoes for a while but dropped too many weight plates on my toes (not hard but still)

- indeed not waiting for equipment is good

- No distractions (did not have those in public gym either)

- You have been training long and so have I so ego goes away somewhere along the line

- I use spotters still train with someone at times, but to be honest i seldom need them I know what i can and cant do

- Drink yes important

- Travel, even though i was 10 min from my gym i still liked home

- I have mirrors do think they are useful

- Not sure if its cost effective but over the 10 years that i have used it it might break even

I do miss the fact that i don't have all the machines but an adjustable cable cross will be delivered Saturday. I think ill use it a lot.

Id like to have a stair climber but these are really expensive

There are more machines in a public gym 

Got a rack, barbells dumbbells' hex bar for deadlifts. bumper plates, pull down machine concept 2 model d rower and an assault air bike. Some rings that i can attach to my rack and many other stuff.

Discussing some of your points.

Ego: It's a general advantage not to have people watching, not necessarily for me now at age 62. If you're younger, lifting with the ego is a big thing and cause of injury and bad form due to lifting more than you should. I've done plenty of ego lifting in the past.

Mirrors: You might not have had the experience to train without mirrors as you have them. When I first set up my gym I intended to get them, but found my training improved without them, including squats. Without mirrors you develop an enhanced level of feedback to your body. You feel what you're doing rather than see what you're doing. Try it sometime - you'll be surprised how good it can be. You already do a lot of exercises without mirrors (unless you have a mirror on the ceiling) when you do bench press and other exercises on the bench.

Equipment: Mostly what "all those machines" accomplish is nothing more than overtraining. I can do everything I need to do, and better with free weights and a good high and low cable pulley, as opposed to machines. You'll probably find out if you train for a long time at a public gym you'll develop overuse injuries you avoided in your home gym. Over my entire training life I have spent a lot more time in public gyms than at home. Of course there are good public gyms and bad ones, with good equipment and <deleted>. The quality of the equipment makes a big difference.

Cost effective: I mentioned a family training at home. Just me, on my own, I would have saved money paying for gym memberships, but that depends on how expensive your equipment is. I know some of your imported stuff is very expensive.

Distractions: You specifically mentioned in another post that you enjoy socializing in a public gym. I would call that distractions, but maybe you don't. For me the less talking the better. Maybe you're like Manny Pacquiao who enjoys training with a crowd. Waiting for equipment is also a big distraction. Having to work in with someone is also a distraction as it can interfere with the pace of the workout.

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Discussing some of your points.

Ego: It's a general advantage not to have people watching, not necessarily for me now at age 62. If you're younger, lifting with the ego is a big thing and cause of injury and bad form due to lifting more than you should. I've done plenty of ego lifting in the past.

Mirrors: You might not have had the experience to train without mirrors as you have them. When I first set up my gym I intended to get them, but found my training improved without them, including squats. Without mirrors you develop an enhanced level of feedback to your body. You feel what you're doing rather than see what you're doing. Try it sometime - you'll be surprised how good it can be. You already do a lot of exercises without mirrors (unless you have a mirror on the ceiling) when you do bench press and other exercises on the bench.

Equipment: Mostly what "all those machines" accomplish is nothing more than overtraining. I can do everything I need to do, and better with free weights and a good high and low cable pulley, as opposed to machines. You'll probably find out if you train for a long time at a public gym you'll develop overuse injuries you avoided in your home gym. Over my entire training life I have spent a lot more time in public gyms than at home. Of course there are good public gyms and bad ones, with good equipment and <deleted>. The quality of the equipment makes a big difference.

Cost effective: I mentioned a family training at home. Just me, on my own, I would have saved money paying for gym memberships, but that depends on how expensive your equipment is. I know some of your imported stuff is very expensive.

Distractions: You specifically mentioned in another post that you enjoy socializing in a public gym. I would call that distractions, but maybe you don't. For me the less talking the better. Maybe you're like Manny Pacquiao who enjoys training with a crowd. Waiting for equipment is also a big distraction. Having to work in with someone is also a distraction as it can interfere with the pace of the workout.

Ego about my lifts has been gone for a long time, I am quite strong not many (normal) guys can do what I do. But now that I can't progress much as im at my genetic max (and have been for a while) that strength is not important at all. I occasionally train with some friends and they are beginners compared to me. They seem to think its great how strong I am and impressive. I keep on saying its not the weight on the bar that is important but the effort you put in. Its better to give it all at a lower weight then to have a workout of nothing with heavy weights.

Mirrors, I will have to disagree I have trained with and without. I prefer with (mainly for squat and putting the bar back). Most other exercises are without mirrors unless im standing in front of one while doing an exercise. But for those I don't consider it important.

I disagree and agree about machines while i agree a lot are useless a adjustable cable cross is not. It will give you options your free weights have not, and a lat pully is a good thing too. For the rest I do like compounds and free weights but I accept that some machines are great like the ones i mentioned. (face pulls, better chest exercises ect from a adjustable cable cross).

Oh i socialize AFTER training, not sure why one would do so during sets or in breaks. It would make breaks too long and the training not effective. To be honest I don't know many of the names of bodybuilders as I am only interested in what I do and training like those guys is impossible as they use LOADS of steroids' and have good genetics. To train like them is to destroy yourself. Your body can't handle their program. 

But the best thing is how close a home gym is and yes if i count my GF working out too then the gym would be cheaper but that is assuming i would pay for her and I don't. 

If you want to buy a cheap lat pulldown if i move ill sell this one for 5K (got an other one in my other home but that will take a while). I was just worried about the first one being hard to move. The second one is certainly not that hard to move and i watched how it was assembled. 

19 hours ago, robblok said:

Ego about my lifts has been gone for a long time, I am quite strong not many (normal) guys can do what I do. But now that I can't progress much as im at my genetic max (and have been for a while) that strength is not important at all. I occasionally train with some friends and they are beginners compared to me. They seem to think its great how strong I am and impressive. I keep on saying its not the weight on the bar that is important but the effort you put in. Its better to give it all at a lower weight then to have a workout of nothing with heavy weights.

Mirrors, I will have to disagree I have trained with and without. I prefer with (mainly for squat and putting the bar back). Most other exercises are without mirrors unless im standing in front of one while doing an exercise. But for those I don't consider it important.

I disagree and agree about machines while i agree a lot are useless a adjustable cable cross is not. It will give you options your free weights have not, and a lat pully is a good thing too. For the rest I do like compounds and free weights but I accept that some machines are great like the ones i mentioned. (face pulls, better chest exercises ect from a adjustable cable cross).

Oh i socialize AFTER training, not sure why one would do so during sets or in breaks. It would make breaks too long and the training not effective. To be honest I don't know many of the names of bodybuilders as I am only interested in what I do and training like those guys is impossible as they use LOADS of steroids' and have good genetics. To train like them is to destroy yourself. Your body can't handle their program. 

But the best thing is how close a home gym is and yes if i count my GF working out too then the gym would be cheaper but that is assuming i would pay for her and I don't. 

If you want to buy a cheap lat pulldown if i move ill sell this one for 5K (got an other one in my other home but that will take a while). I was just worried about the first one being hard to move. The second one is certainly not that hard to move and i watched how it was assembled. 

Further discussion on points.

Ego: By suggesting advantages of private gyms over public gyms I'm not referring to you specifically, or even me, who long ago lost any need to train for the ego, although going by your comments, you're very high on the ego scale. Most people at some point in their bodybuilding life will ego lift, mostly in their younger years, and I'm sure you did too. If you didn't, you're an exception, not the rule.

Mirrors: You agreed and disagreed as you said you do a lot of exercises without mirrors. I doubt you've spent 8 years training without them to really appreciate the benefits of not having them. When you first start training without them, you'll miss them. It takes time to develop that inward focus I discussed earlier. Until you feel it, it's hard to describe it.

Machines: There's not much I can't do in my home gym because I set it up to be able to do everything I want to be able to do - that was the point of my home gym - a better place to train. Face pulls - no problem. I can do every movement I need to do and probably some exercises you haven't even thought of. Most of the other stuff in public gyms is unnecessary. Cable crosses - I consider them a waste of time (for me - I find them uncomfortable on the shoulders) and I've done plenty of them. If you need cable crossovers, then that's what you need to get for your gym. My home gym is customized to have exactly what I need. IMO, If you need to do something like that, a good pec-deck will do a better job because it isolates the chest muscles more. Now, just as an example to make my point. Let's take my standard chest routine. 1. warmup with push ups to a bar. Controlled, deliberate and strict. 3-4 sets. 2. DB incline presses. 5 sets (2 warmup and 3 heavy), 3. Incline BB presses - 3 -4 sets. (I no longer do flat bench as it's not as comfortable on my shoulders). Do you really think after this workout I would gain anything from doing cable crossovers? Anything more than what I've done would be overtraining and I'm pretty sure it would be for you too if you performed the exercises with intensity. Here's the thing, If I was in a good public gym I would probably finish off with pec-deck. It would be unnecessary and anything unnecessary is better not done. Mostly that would be my workout in a public gym for chest, other than some extra pec-deck. It's the same for all my muscle groups. My workout at a public gym would be the same exercises, but with some unnecessary extras thrown in. I don't like machine presses at all.

Socializing: I  misunderstood you. A lot of people chat during training, and also spend a lot of time on their mobile phones. Despite that, my other points are still valid even if you don't chat while you train. 1. Waiting for equipment. 2. Having to share equipment. Both distractions and the busier the gym, the more distracting it is. Back in the days when I did use public gyms in Thailand, I went late at night to avoid people.

Lat pulldown. I already have a very smooth machine, with a low pulley included.

Edited by JensenZ

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Further discussion on points.

Ego: By suggesting advantages of private gyms over public gyms I'm not referring to you specifically, or even me, who long ago lost any need to train for the ego, although going by your comments, you're very high on the ego scale. Most people at some point in their bodybuilding life will ego lift, mostly in their younger years, and I'm sure you did too. If you didn't, you're an exception, not the rule.

Mirrors: You agreed and disagreed as you said you do a lot of exercises without mirrors. I doubt you've spent 8 years training without them to really appreciate the benefits of not having them. When you first start training without them, you'll miss them. It takes time to develop that inward focus I discussed earlier. Until you feel it, it's hard to describe it.

Machines: There's not much I can't do in my home gym because I set it up to be able to do everything I want to be able to do - that was the point of my home gym - a better place to train. Face pulls - no problem. I can do every movement I need to do and probably some exercises you haven't even thought of. Most of the other stuff in public gyms is unnecessary. Cable crosses - I consider them a waste of time (for me - I find them uncomfortable on the shoulders) and I've done plenty of them. If you need cable crossovers, then that's what you need to get for your gym. My home gym is customized to have exactly what I need. IMO, If you need to do something like that, a good pec-deck will do a better job because it isolates the chest muscles more. Now, just as an example to make my point. Let's take my standard chest routine. 1. warmup with push ups to a bar. Controlled, deliberate and strict. 3-4 sets. 2. DB incline presses. 5 sets (2 warmup and 3 heavy), 3. Incline BB presses - 3 -4 sets. (I no longer do flat bench as it's not as comfortable on my shoulders). Do you really think after this workout I would gain anything from doing cable crossovers? Anything more than what I've done would be overtraining and I'm pretty sure it would be for you too if you performed the exercises with intensity. Here's the thing, If I was in a good public gym I would probably finish off with pec-deck. It would be unnecessary and anything unnecessary is better not done. Mostly that would be my workout in a public gym for chest, other than some extra pec-deck. It's the same for all my muscle groups. My workout at a public gym would be the same exercises, but with some unnecessary extras thrown in. I don't like machine presses at all.

Socializing: I  misunderstood you. A lot of people chat during training, and also spend a lot of time on their mobile phones. Despite that, my other points are still valid even if you don't chat while you train. 1. Waiting for equipment. 2. Having to share equipment. Both distractions and the busier the gym, the more distracting it is. Back in the days when I did use public gyms in Thailand, I went late at night to avoid people.

Lat pulldown. I already have a very smooth machine, with a low pulley included.

Of course i had Ego when younger about lifting, but that is long since gone and I am stronger then back then. At some point weights wont go up and you won't get any extra muscle so ego is pretty much gone. I am always training in a certain bandwith weight wise. I know the max and min what i can do. That is on the big compound exercises.

Mirrors lets agree to disagree.

Adjustable cable cross can do so much more then just pecs and if you look into research you see its really good. Anyone not having face pulls in his program and who is older is kidding himself (one of the things you can do with a good adjustable cable cross machine). We are talking about an adjustable not standard cable cross so height is also adjustable.  But your right you need to have in your gym what you think is needed. I know i got most things. Never found a pec deck better then a good cable cross. Then again things are highly personal where you feel things. 

I do bench press but there can be shoulder issues. Personally i do a 3 days full body right now. Because i train with others. Easier to manage then a split if someone misses a day. Plus I wont be packing any extra muscle so it all about maintenance.

I am annoyed with one thing in my gym my trap bar. For some reason the diameter of the bar is bigger one one side making it hard to put bumperplates on. (I use it for deadlifts). Its a production error probably and just one or 2 mm difference makes it hard for the disks on one side. If i know 100% sure i can get the same bar but good id buy again.. but im not sure so i am thinking of sandpapering it down and forgetting about the chrome cover.

I found some nice machines over the years in gyms especially for legs and back. Not so much for chest and shoulders. 

But now that i do full body its like this deadlifts 3 x 8 / squat 3 x 8 / landmines 4 x 8 / lat pull 4 x 8 / some biceps 4 x 8 / some triceps 4 x 8 and some abs. Cardio at other days if i am in the mood.

I would love to own a good stairclimber but they are too expensive.