Gold shops suffer lack of cash as people rush to sell their jewellery

webfact

Gold shops suffer lack of cash as people rush to sell their jewellery

By THE NATION

800_78280dd14bc9817.jpg?v=1586828565

Gold shops have been hit by a cash crunch as people rush to sell their jewellery and ornaments, said Gold Traders Association president Jitti Tangsitphakdi.

“The rising gold price in the global market, which has reached a new high in seven years, has caused people to sell their gold for profit,” he said.

“Besides, international traders have not been able to export their gold due to a shutdown of airlines and overseas markets, causing many traders to suffer from a cash-flow problem.”

Jitti said some gold traders are looking into short-term solutions, one of which is getting loans from banks.

“However, during this Covid-19 crisis, most banks have nearly reached their limit on loans, while a lack of cash liquidity has forced many traders to repay loans late, making it harder for them to get additional funding. Eventually, some gold shops will have to temporarily shut or ask customers to receive their money at a later date,” he said.

“We have suggested to more than 2,000 gold shops under our association that one measure is to go in for alternate-day opening between shops to slow down the number of people selling gold while preserving their customer base,” he added. “It is also a good way to reduce crowding at these shops to prevent Covid-19 from spreading.”

Meanwhile, Kritrat Hirunyasiri, chairman of MTS Gold Group, one of the biggest gold exporters in the country, said his company has been affected by the cancellation of flights to export destinations such as Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.

“Cash flow has become tighter, causing the company to delay paying gold sellers by 7-15 days,” he said. “However, we estimate that the situation will improve in May as factories in Singapore and Australia are expected to resume operations, so export routes to these countries should also be restored.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385935

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-14
  • Sad 1

I was warning about this senario weeks ago.

Keep in mind, gold hasn't really moved upwards ,in a big way yet

Imagine, in a potential meltdown and gold doubles/triples, and millions of thais run to the gold shop demanding to sell.

Gold shop-owner cannot possibly redeem but a tiny fraction of the gold he has sold

Lesson...stay away from thai gold

If you can buy 99.9% gold ,anonymously and not stored with a third-party vault, do it.

You can always sell it in the int'l market unlike low-purity thai gold

There are also fake gold bars to worry about

<deleted> it..I'm sticking with cash.

Have a nice day

Just now, Vigilante said:

I was warning about this senario weeks ago.

Keep in mind, gold hasn't really moved upwards ,in a big way yet

Imagine, in a potential meltdown and gold doubles/triples, and millions of thais run to the gold shop demanding to sell.

Gold shop-owner cannot possibly redeem but a tiny fraction of the gold he has sold

Lesson...stay away from thai gold

If you can buy 99.9% gold ,anonymously and not stored with a third-party vault, do it.

You can always sell it in the int'l market unlike low-purity thai gold

There are also fake gold bars to worry about

<deleted> it..I'm sticking with cash.

Have a nice day

Idiots who store gold will learn the hard fact nobody wants to buy it back for cash when the prices are sky high in a pandemic - throws the whole 'the sky is falling theory out the window' and hold gold in place of cash.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Idiots who store gold will learn the hard fact nobody wants to buy it back for cash when the prices are sky high in a pandemic - throws the whole 'the sky is falling theory out the window' and hold gold in place of cash.

Koh Samui gold shops are buying back gold bars at 4K baht less than the spot price.  Is that normal?  When I bought gold bars they said I could sell it back at spot minus 100 baht.

30 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

I'll bear that in mind when the ATM's stop working 'as a temporary measure' and internet goes down.  I started buying 10 years ago, ฿16 000, now worth ฿25 000 I believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cooked said:

I'll bear that in mind when the ATM's stop working 'as a temporary measure' and internet goes down.  I started buying 10 years ago, ฿16 000, now worth ฿25 000 I believe.

- 4000B when you try to cash back at spot price.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

I have a fair amount stored for future ....  but try selling and you won't get 25,000 ...  you'll get much less than that

Edited by steven100

Gold (ingots) has always been part of my investments, and I have done really well, and still hold quite a bit...

But the gold most of the posters post about are 1 - 5 baht jewelry pieces that are used as status symbols until they need money, and not a proper investment.

Gold bars attract no VAT and should sell pretty close to spot price, and attract no "creative" fees in a normal market. During a pandemic, rules change.

I mean, who would expect to see the US stock market rise record levels up 20% last week from mid March, yet unemployment and business closures at record highs? Strange times.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

We're talking gold shops, not pawn shops. I don't know any gold shops that loan money, holding gold as collateral.  

every gold shop here will take your gold for a loan, you have a set date for when you have to pay back and claim your gold, or you can extend for an extra amount that's added.