Phuket: More stranded foreigners using free food service

webfact

Phuket: More stranded foreigners using free food service

5pm.jpg

Picture: Spring News

Reporters from Spring News caught up with a Thai man who was at the center of a big online story.

Kittikhun had given an omelette and rice to a foreign man. In no time the plate was wolfed down and another foreign couple were sitting down at the soup kitchen in Patong opposite the Royal Paradise Hotel and Spa. 

The original customer said he was still hungry so Kittikhun went back in the kitchen and rustled up three more omelettes. 

2-40.jpg

The food for that session (he works the 11 am and 4 pm shifts) hadn't arrived yet so he had to improvise. 

The food is being provided by a local philanthropist and there are a small army of volunteers. 

92695646_115849756744204_5891423510554738688_n.jpg

The tourist police dropped by and promised to find and provide assistance to the tourists that were in difficulty after the online story went viral.

Now Kittikhun said that more and more tourists have heard about the free food and are making a beeline for the soup kitchen. 

The organizers have even gone so far as to come up with a "non-spicy" Western style menu. 

Kittikhun said he had put himself in the Westerners' shoes - it can't be much fun stuck like this in a foreign land. 

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-14

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VYCM said:

I am seeing Russians here in Pattaya lining up for free food. 

Why? 

The banks are not shut. 

Why not send some Rubles to Thailand. 

Western Union 

Atm's are all working. 

Ask friends or relatives to send you money. 

No need to be taking free food, leave it for the Thais. 

These poor Thai people have nothing. 

And let stranded foreigners without money starve. Nice of you.

• Like 2

One learns young to have emergency funds of 3-4 months equivalent to your lifestyle needs (not wants)...

no sympathy for tourists or people living check to check (don’t buy mobile or cars or other toys)....

hard to imagine taking a vacation and not having Enough/access to funds for staying longer like 3 weeks and resorting to a free food line....

feed ‘em to the elephants...

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

Really?
Why would foreigners starve?
How did they get here in the first place, do they not have return tickets?

No savings, no family, no friends who can help out?
How would they have eaten if there were no virus, they were all working and earning a living in Thailand?
No.

Exactly right, give food away for free, people will take it.

It should be for Thais only.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I appreciate that Thais go out of their way to help stranded foreigners. That will be remembered.

But considering that there's a lot of hardship among Thais as well, I think stranded foreigners should try very hard to get funds transferred from family or friends back home. Accepting handouts from locals really should be the very last resort.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, toast1 said:

How did they get here in the first place, do they not have return tickets?

They cancelled all the flights.

I was in Cambodia when they cancelled my return flight to Thailand, no help from Air Asia at all.

I went to the airport and managed to convince them to let me on their last flight out.

Most of the others in the hotel didn't even try and do anything, probably still there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They cancelled all the flights.

I was in Cambodia when they cancelled my return flight to Thailand, no help from Air Asia at all.

I went to the airport and managed to convince them to let me on their last flight out.

Most of the others in the hotel didn't even try and do anything, probably still there.

Same same here, but I went and bought a return ticket home, got a credit from my original ticket.

my friends that did nothing are still there complaining, locked in their rooms now. No need to panic, everything is ok they said.

No sympathy from me.

Well, I'll be. It certainly looks like my previous suspicions that this was a fake PR story are being proven wrong here and if that's the case then for that I'm definitely happy. I will sleep well knowing there are some people out there who care for farangs' welfare. Thanks guys ????

Hopefully these broke-ass shirtless backpackers will remember kindness and return the favor should the roles ever be reversed.

• Like 1

I've noticed an increased number of not so poor people taking advantage of this service recently. Big C and 7-11 workers were in a line the other day and one married woman I know was there in her designer clothes accepting a box of very nice food when she should have been fobbed off.

Whilst the generosity of this guy cannot be faulted (personally if someone asked for a second helping I would have told them to wait until others had had a first helping) one has to wonder what state these people's finances are in and why they are here without cash when flights have been repatriating others.

Maybe the immigration clampdowns of the past were the right thing to do as being in a foreign country without funds is not right. I think the people who may have been trying to live here under the radar are finally starting to surface.

Helping anyone during this period is a nice thing to do, forget about nationality, people from all walks of life are struggling at the moment and there is nothing they can do about.

Reading some posts above could be true, some people could take advanrage of this without the real need of it. But people who are really in need will be thankful for it.

• Like 1

I’m sure some of these falang folks are hard up. I also am willing to bet that some of these soup kitchen arrivees have money and funds too.

I’m with the folks here who have said; little sympathy for folks who’ve stayed here way past a sensible date.

Plenty of warning to get outa here.

Going on holidays without enough to cover penalties for changing flights in an emergency, emergency funds for extra taxi fares etc, no decent travel insurance (a common topic on TV), don’t get that dog to hunt.

I don’t swallow that these folks have such meagre resources, or are so alone in the world, or have such poor families that they can’t get some bucks dropped into their accounts for food!

• Like 1

I wonder if some see the free food and think it looks and smells better than the stuff from a street cart seller down the block.  Point at what you want, chow down and no haggling on price.

I do commend the Thai guy for not discriminating against farangs, though they should have more $ resources than many locals.  

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

<snip> ... I think the people who may have been trying to live here under the radar are finally starting to surface.

I think the above pretty much sums it up.

Genuine tourists would have had a plan or itinerary that could be changed as needed, sufficient funds,  and most likely a ticket to leave Thailand before their permission to stay had expired.

Lot of soulless people here. So let Thais stranded in Japan or Europe starve as well then, because they could afford the airfare before they got stuck. This is a global crisis, people are stuck and not everyone has months of savings. 

Is the alcohol ban responsible for these harsh comments. Withdrawal can be though.

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

But considering that there's a lot of hardship among Thais as well, I think stranded foreigners should try very hard to get funds transferred from family or friends back home. Accepting handouts from locals really should be the very last resort.

I thought a while back that Thai government require each 'tourist' to have at least 20,000 baht. This should be enough for at least two months if they don't go to massage places.

Unless these people have been moonlighting on teaching English at private schools.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I thought a while back that Thai government require each 'tourist' to have at least 20,000 baht. This should be enough for at least two months if they don't go to massage places.

Unless these people have been moonlighting on teaching English at private schools.

I can see how it can happen even to a bona fide tourist. Blown their holiday money while things were still okay, ready to fly back but their flight got cancelled. Some even booked another flight only to have that cancelled as well, still waiting for refunds.

That said, however, international bank transfers work just fine. Instead of becoming a burden to the locals, some affected tourists should - in my opinion - try harder to get funds sent from family or friends back home.

• Like 2

According to the info I read, these "stranded" tourists account for around 3k people. Please, do NOT put everyone in the same basket. There might be very different cases and particular situations. My gut feeling tells me that 90% of them are tourists that could have gone out but were ok to get "stranded". Still, there is 10% (i.e. 300 people) who might have really got stuck because of multiple various situations that we cannot judge in this forum without knowing them.

What if a tourists arrived when there were no restrictions, got injured in the hospital and was not discharged till restrictions on travel appeared? What if a tourist was robbed back in his home country or lost his ebanking credentials, or his credit card is lost and cannot get a new one? There is a myriad of situations that for some of those tourists might apply, and not all of them are just hippy travelers that decided to get stranded in Phuket and enjoy free resources. Although as you guys, I believe that amounts for most of them. BUT NOT ALL.

One case I know: A tourist came in before restrictions, once he wanted to go out his flights were cancelled. Sure he will get a refund but that will take a while. Back home his mother passed away at the very same time. He needed to pay for the funeral, and the tuition of his sister because she was living on the salary of the mum, but the bank accounts in that country get locked down automatically after a person passes away and until the heritage things are sorted out. So he needed to put down a big amount of cash. And right now his home country does not allow him back in. All in all, sure there would be like a complicated way to sort out things and get back home. But is not like he is here for the fun. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tarukhtah said:

According to the info I read, these "stranded" tourists account for around 3k people. Please, do NOT put everyone in the same basket. There might be very different cases and particular situations. My gut feeling tells me that 90% of them are tourists that could have gone out but were ok to get "stranded". Still, there is 10% (i.e. 300 people) who might have really got stuck because of multiple various situations that we cannot judge in this forum without knowing them.

What if a tourists arrived when there were no restrictions, got injured in the hospital and was not discharged till restrictions on travel appeared? What if a tourist was robbed back in his home country or lost his ebanking credentials, or his credit card is lost and cannot get a new one? There is a myriad of situations that for some of those tourists might apply, and not all of them are just hippy travelers that decided to get stranded in Phuket and enjoy free resources. Although as you guys, I believe that amounts for most of them. BUT NOT ALL.

One case I know: A tourist came in before restrictions, once he wanted to go out his flights were cancelled. Sure he will get a refund but that will take a while. Back home his mother passed away at the very same time. He needed to pay for the funeral, and the tuition of his sister because she was living on the salary of the mum, but the bank accounts in that country get locked down automatically after a person passes away and until the heritage things are sorted out. So he needed to put down a big amount of cash. And right now his home country does not allow him back in. All in all, sure there would be like a complicated way to sort out things and get back home. But is not like he is here for the fun. 

Lots of creative writing here, gut feelings etc 

At the end of the day Nothing is stopping them from asking family, friends to send them money. 

Western Union, banks, Atm's all operational. 

I arrived here in 2002 and one clear change to Thailand is the lowlife that appears here. Yes back in the day you'd see the occasional filthy begging foreigner but these days they're everywhere. 

I understand at times why we now see Thai people broadcasting their anger towards us foreigners. 

Thai people generally don't save, they don't have assets they can sell, no superannuation or pension fund they can cash in. 

Leave their bloody free food alone. 

They have nothing.